The Campus Health and Safety Committee
Executive Memorandum 07-019
October 04 , 2007
From: Paul J. Zingg, President
Subject: The Campus Health and Safety Committee
THE CAMPUS HEALTH AND SAFETY COMMITTEE
Upon the recommendation of the President's Cabinet and pursuant to Article 23.9 of the CSUEU/CSU Collective Bargaining Agreement, the Campus Health and Safety Committee is constituted.
The purpose of the Campus Health and Safety Committee is to act as an advisory body to Cabinet on matters of health and safety and to increase health and safety awareness among all members of the CSU, Chico campus community. The Committee will make recommendations to assist Environmental Health and Safety in achieving the University's goal of creating a safe environment that is most conducive to the mission of the University.
The Campus Health and Safety Committee will report annually to the President and Cabinet. Through its work, the Committee will aid in the implementation of health and safety provisions contained in the Collective Bargaining Agreements. The Committee will make recommendations and report, as needed, to the Director of Environmental Health and Safety, with emphasis on training the campus community on health and safety policies and procedures in order to prevent and correct work-related health and safety issues. The Committee’s focus is on prevention and correction of unsafe working conditions, as well as on education and training. The Committee will not be directly involved in receiving OSHA complaints, investigating such complaints, or developing resolutions.
The mission of the Health and Safety Committee is to address work-related health and safety concerns stemming from working conditions. The Committee may assist Environmental Health and Safety in its role with the University Public Safety Advisory Committee* and the University Police Department with issues that may include both work-related health and safety issues and public safety issues that concern law enforcement.
The Committee will:
- Identify current health and safety issues that impact the campus community;
- Stay informed of current health and safety issues facing the campus and the CSU system as well as those facing the state of California by working with the Director of Environmental Health and Safety;
- Act as liaison between its constituents and the Director of Environmental Health and Safety;
- Receive a summary of the activities of Environmental Health and Safety and a summary of the nature of worker’s compensation claims;
- Submit an annual written report to the Cabinet. In addition, the chair of the Committee will meet with Cabinet annually and with various constituency groups as needed.
- Provide recommendations concerning matters of health and safety, particularly changes in current policies/practices.
Responsibilities of the Committee include but are not limited to:
- Increasing awareness of safety-related issues (e.g., training programs, workshops, publications);
- Providing a forum to discuss general health and safety issues and concerns (excluding personal complaints);
- Assessing campus safety records;
- Making recommendations to the Director of Environmental Health and Safety.
The University Health and Safety Committee reports to Cabinet and will provide an annual report.
- Director of Environmental Health and Safety
- One faculty representative appointed by the California Faculty Association
- One representative appointed by the Academic Professionals Council
- One representative appointed by the State Employees Trade Council
- One representative from each represented bargaining unit appointed by California State University Employees Union
- One representative appointed by the State University Police Association
- One representative appointed by the United Auto Workers
- One representative appointed by the California Federation of the Union of American Physicians and Dentists
- The Workers Compensation Program Coordinator or designee
- One representative appointed by the Director of University Housing and Food Service
- The University Farm Manager or designee
- One Academic Dean or designee
- One representative appointed by the Director of Disability Support Services
- One representative from Athletics
- One representative from the Associated Students
- One representative from Facilities Management Services
- One representative from the Women’s Center
- One representative appointed by the University Public Safety Committee
At its first meeting, the committee will determine how the staggered terms will be allocated.
Officers: The Chair, Vice Chair, and Secretary will be elected by the Committee.
Meetings: Meeting will occur quarterly and on an as-needed basis.
Minutes of the Meeting: The Secretary will be responsible for taking and maintaining the minutes of each meeting.
First Meeting: The Director of Environmental Health and Safety will call the first meeting in October.
*The University Public Safety Advisory Committee is governed by EM 05-007.