Minimum Insurance Requirements for Food Service Providers

CSU and campus requirements for contracting with Food Service Providers (FSPs) are established by Executive Order 1069,  CSU Insurance Requirements (PDF);  Executive Memorandum 09-07, University Policy on Hospitality Expenses;  and Executive Memorandum 99-11, Campus Alcohol Policy. Requirements vary depending on the type of FSP and on whether alcohol is to be served, and are consistent with Butte County Public Health and State Alcoholic Beverage Control regulations.

The various requirements are displayed in chart form on Insurance, License & Permit Requirements (PDF).  The chart should help both campus personnel and the FSP determine applicable requirements.  Refer to FSP FAQs for answers to common questions or Contact Risk Management for additional assistance.

Procurement and Contract Services maintains a list of FSPs who frequently do business with the university.  The list contains the status of their insurance and permits and is designed to assist campus personnel with selecting an FSP that meets requirements.  The absence of a particular FSP name from the list does not necessarily mean that the university cannot contract with the FSP, only that more pre-event lead time will be required in order to obtain evidence of insurance permits. Contact Procurement and Contact Services at 898-5137 for a current listing.

Types of Food Service Providers

  • Caterer -- prepares food in licensed food facility and may transport the food to the event.
  • Cook for Hire -- prepares all food at the location where it is served.
  • Mobile Food Preparation Unit -- mobile unit containing equipment for on-site preparation and serving.
  • Food Cart -- serves prepackaged food not requiring refrigeration from a mobile cart.
  • Temporary Food Facility -- temporary food booth erected for a specific event.

Insurance Requirements - Limit of Coverage - Evidence of Adequate Coverage

Executive Order No 1069 defines insurance requirement for agreements, contracts and purchases.  The majority of service orders and contracts necessitate general insurance requirements per EO 1069 (PDF) as follows:

  • General Liability - $1,000,000 each occurrence, $2,000,000 aggregate
  • Business Automobile Liability - $1,000,000 per occurrence
  • Employer Liability - $1,000,000
  • Workers' Compensation - as required under California State Law

All certificates of insurance issued to the University require the following:

  • Each insurer must have an A.M. Best (or equivalent) rating of at least A:VII unless otherwise agreed to by the University.
  • The Certificate Holder is to be identified as: Risk Manager, California State University, Chico, Chico, CA 95929-0130. 
  • An additional insured endorsement must accompany each certificate (workers' compensation excepted).  Standard insurance form #CG 20 10 10 01 is accepted - Endorsement is to be on a separate page and the wording on the endorsement is to be exactly as follows:

    • The State of California; the Trustees of The California State University; California State University, Chico and its Foundations; and the officers, employees, volunteers, and agents of each of them are included as additional insureds.
    • Coverage shall not be cancelled, modified, or reduced without thirty (30) days advance written notice to the University, delivered by certified mail, return receipt requested.

Licenses, Permits, and Additional Requirements

Depending on the type of food service providers and whether or not alcohol is served, different permits and licenses are required.  

County Public Health Permit Requirements

  • A Butte County Department of Public Health Permit to Operate is required for caterers, mobile food preparation units, and food carts.
  • A County food service training certificate (ServSafe) is required for cooks for hire and mobile food preparation units.

Alcohol and Beverage Control Requirements

  • Any food service provider who serves alcoholic beverages is required to have a valid license through the California Department of Alcohol and Beverage Control (ABC).
  • A vendor needing a one day liquor license can obtain information from the Office of Risk Management.

Food Service Providers of Alcohol

  • Food service providers who will be serving alcohol for sale (includes money, ticket, tokens, or chits which have been issued in exchange for alcohol or anything else of value) are required to have Liquor Liability Insurance of $1 million coverage .
  • Food service providers who are dispensing alcohol, meaning the alcohol is provided by the University not the vendor, are required to have Host Liquor Liability Insurance of $1 million in addition to basic insurance coverage.

Where to Submit Your Documentation - Who to Contact

Risk Management
California State University, Chico
Chico, CA 95929-0130
Phone No. (530) 898-6588
Fax No. (530) 898-4513