*Academic Hours start August 15th, 2016
*Open at 9:15 Wednesday August 10th
Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday:
7:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
CLOSED FOR LUNCH
(12:00 p.m. - 1:00 p.m.)
CLOSED August 17th, 2016
Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday:
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
9:15 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
1. Always eat before you drink. Alcohol on an empty stomach can impact you even more quickly.
2. Use the buddy system. Stay together. Do not go out alone. Never leave your friends behind at a party.
3. Plan a safe ride home. Carry your cell phone and the number of a friend who you will know will be home.
4. HALT - Avoid drinking when you are hungry, angry, lonely, or tired. Alcohol intensifies such negative emotions.
5. Count your drinks. Set limits for yourself before you start drinking and your judgment is impaired. Do not play drinking games or take shots.
6. Slow down your drinking and minimize the dehydrating effects of alcohol by drinking plenty of water.
7. Never drink from a common punch bowl. Never leave your drink unattended or accept drinks from someone you do not know or trust.
8. Be strong and do not give into peer pressure.
9. Know the signs of alcohol poisoning and call 911 if your friend is showing any of those signs.
Signs of Alcohol Poisoning:
-Choking/ persistent vomiting-Irregular breathing·
-Fewer than 12 breaths per minute·
-No breathing for 10 seconds or more·
-Skin is cold, clammy, or bluish.
-The person will not wake up.
If one of your friends is showing any of these signs, call 911 immediately.
**Written by Ashley Allen, Peer Health Educator at Student Health Service on September 1, 2011