Monday,Tuesday,Thursday and Friday:
8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
9:15 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Time to Butt Out Cigarettes!
Last Updated: 04/11/2011
Smoking and Tobacco Use
Tobacco use is responsible for almost 1 in 5 deaths in the United States. Because it is an acquired habit, one that a person chooses to participate in, smoking is the most preventable cause of death in our society.
Cancers caused by smoking:
- Larynx (voice box)
- Oral cavity (mouth, tongue and lips)
- Pharynx (throat)
- Esophagus (tube connecting the throat to the stomach)
- Acute myeloid leukemia
*Smoking is responsible for almost 9 out of 10 lung cancer deaths. Lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death in both men and women and is one of the hardest cancers to treat.
Secondhand smoke is classified as a cancer-causing agent (known human carcinogen) by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the US National Toxicology Program, and the International Agency for Research on Cancer (a branch of the World Health Organization). Tobacco smoke contains over 40,000 chemical compounds and more than 60 of these are known or suspected to cause cancer.
Each year secondhand smoke is responsible for:
- An estimated 46,000 deaths from heart disease in nonsmokers who live with smokers.
- About 3,400 lung cancer deaths in nonsmoking adults.
- Other breathing problems in nonsmokers, including coughing, mucus, chest discomfort and reduced lung function.
- 50,000 to 300,000 lung infections (such as pneumonia and bronchitis) in children younger than 18 months of age which result in 7,500 to 15,000 hospitalizations annually.
TIME TO BUTT OUT CIGARETTES!
The American Cancer Society has a great guide to quitting smoking that can be found at this link: http://www.cancer.org/Healthy/StayAwayfromTobacco/GuidetoQuittingSmoking/guide-to-quitting-smoking-toc
Also, the Student Health Center pharmacy has some over-the-counter options for you as well! They include:
- Habitrol nicotine transdermal patches. Steps 1, 2 and 3 for $24.25 + tax for box of 14 patches (a 14 day supply).
- Nicotine gum 2mg and 4mg. Box of 50 pieces for $9.10 and $11.60 + tax, respectively.
If these over-the-counter methods are not working for you, there are prescription medications that may help. Please see your doctor.
Information from: www.cancer.org
Written by: Sierra Rocha