Policies and Procedures

Student Health Center, CSU, Chico


Authority to Issue:

California State University, Chico (CSU, Chico) parking rules and regulations apply to all faculty, staff, students, and visitors parking a vehicle on campus.

The authority to establish these rules and regulations pertaining to the parking of all vehicles on a California State University campus is pursuant to the California Education Code, section 67301; the California Vehicle Code, section 21113(a)(b)(c)(d)(f); and Title 5 of the California Administrative Code. 

The authority to charge a fee for use of parking facilities by disabled individuals is defined in the California Education Code, section 67301, the California Vehicle Code, section 21113, and Title 5 of the California Administrative Code.  These authority sections supersede other provisions made regarding non-payment of parking fees as defined in California Vehicle Code section 22511.5.


California State University, Chico has clearly designated parking spaces for use by disabled individuals.  Vehicles parked in these spaces must display a valid paid campus parking permit along with the appropriate state issued placard or license plate or a CSU, Chico temporary medical/handicapped parking permit issued through the Cashiering Office. 

The temporary medical/handicapped parking permit is issued by CSU, Chico and enables the holder to park on campus in campus designated handicapped parking stalls.  Upon receipt of the CSU, Chico temporary medical/handicapped permit, the purchaser must go to the DMV and apply for a state issued (permanent or temporary) disabled person parking placard or plate, per California Vehicle Code section 22507.8.

The temporary medical/handicapped parking permit is to be displayed on a decal display hanger suspended from the rearview mirror or laid on the driver’s side dash, making sure all information is clearly visible.

CSU, Chico temporary medical/handicapped parking permits are valid in CSU, Chico parking lots and on CSU, Chico campus property only.  Use of these permits on City streets and property other than that of CSU, Chico is not allowed and may result in receiving a citation.


Temporary medical/handicapped parking permit:

To receive a temporary medical/handicapped parking permit, one must furnish the Cashiering Office a note from a physician indicating need for handicapped parking privileges.  Upon receipt of the note, the Cashiering Office staff will issue a CSU, Chico temporary medical/handicapped parking permit for a maximum duration of one week only.  There will be no exceptions to the duration of the permit, and only one temporary medical/handicapped permit will be issued per academic year. 

If the requestor has a paid CSU, Chico parking permit, the temporary medical/handicapped permit is provided at no charge.  However, if they do not have a paid CSU, Chico parking permit, the weekly charge for temporary parking is assessed.

At the time of the request for the CSU, Chico temporary medical/handicapped parking permit, the Cashiering staff will instruct the individual to go to the DMV office and apply for a state issued disabled person placard or plate. 

DMV issued disabled person placard or plate:

Within the timeframe of the temporary medical/handicapped permit, the requestor must have his/her medical professional complete the application for disabled person placard/plates.  They must then take the completed form to the DMV office for processing. 



A few reminders regarding students wishing to drop all their classes:

As of the first day of the semester, any undergraduate student wishing to officially withdraw from the university must notify the Student Records & Registration Office in order to initiate the process. It is in the best interest of the student to come in person to SSC 220. Student Records Office will help the student fill out the Official Withdrawal Form and direct them to the appropriate offices for signatures.

Graduate students need to initiate this process at the Graduate School.

Student Records and Registration Office
Phone: 530-898-5142  |  Fax: 530-898-4359
Student Service Center 220

Students who find it necessary to withdraw from individual courses or from the University due to a serious and compelling medical reason may be seen at the Student Health Service to request a letter supporting their withdrawal. A provider at the Student Health Service will decide if the student’s condition justifies a withdrawal for medical reasons. If a medical withdrawal letter is issued by the Student Health Service, the student must also obtain approval from the course instructor, Department chair, and College Dean to withdraw from individual classes or from Academic Advising to withdraw entirely from the University.


A. Consideration: As stated in the University catalog, students who are receiving financial aid funds must consult with the Financial Aid Office and Student Financial Services prior to withdrawing from the University regarding any required return or repayments of grant or loan assistance received for that academic term. If a recipient of financial assistance under federal Title IV financial aid programs withdraws from the institution during a payment period, the amount of grant or loan assistance received is subject to return and repayment provisions governed by federal law.
B. Consideration: Requests for medical withdrawal are reviewed from information submitted by each student, including: (a) course drop or withdrawal application (b) a withdrawal letter from a SHS provider or a private healthcare provider based on a thorough medical evaluation and, (c) personal statements submitted by students or shared in conversation with the course instructor, Department Chair and College Dean.
C. Criteria: In general, for a medical withdrawal letter to be issued, the student’s condition must be severe enough to warrant hospitalization for treatment (not just evaluation) and/or extensive outpatient medical consultation as defined by the following criteria:
1. The condition should be of sufficient severity to result in the inability to attend class or complete course work for two or more weeks during the semester.
2. The student’s medical record should contain the specific diagnosis and treatment plan including follow up visits.
3. During the final two weeks of the semester, medical withdrawals will be provided only for extenuating circumstances and the treating provider at the Student Health Service may require the student to return for additional visits to verify the severity of the condition.
4. A retroactive medical withdrawal may be issued after the semester has ended provided the above criteria are met and the student returns for follow-up with adherence to the treatment plan as indicated in the medical record.
The Student Health Service will issue a recommendation to support the student’s course/university withdrawal in a form or a medical withdrawal letter addressed to the Course Instructor. Unless requested by the student through a signed release of information, the Student Health Service will not release specific confidential information to the student’s course instructor, Department Chair or College Dean for the purposes of consideration of the medical withdrawal.


The Director has the primary responsibility and authority for implementing this policy which may be designated to the Chief of Clinical Medicine.


A. If the student meets the above criteria, the student needs to make an appointment with a Student Health Service provider.
1. No medical withdrawal letters will be issued if the above criteria are not evident in the student’s record.
B. If the student has been followed by a non-Student Health Service provider, the student must obtain the medical withdrawal letter from their own private medical provider using the same criteria above.
C. During the appointment, it is the student’s responsibility to provide the Student Health Service provider with all the necessary information required for a withdrawal letter including the course number(s) and names.
Established: 10/15/08