Writing Appointment Information
The Writing Center now offers online services for all students! Sign up here to have limitless access to the online Writing Center and free help with your writing via internet.
What Writing Tutors Do
- Aid in understanding and meeting writing assignments
- Help plan and get started on writing
- Talk about ideas and help develop them
- Assist in setting and meeting priorities for revision
- Teach students to control such surface features of writing as syntax, grammar, punctuation, and spelling
- Help to improve as a writer
- Careful attention to written work
- Active listening and thoughtful responses to ideas
- Collaborative help with writing problems
- Knowledgeable assistance in finding resources needed to complete writing assignments
- Long-term writing instruction
- Appointments can be scheduled in person at the Student Learning Center (SSC 340) or by calling 898-6839.
Hours: Monday - Thursday 9:00 am-6:00 pm, Friday 9:00 am-3:00 pm
- Make an appointment—or several—as soon as you get a writing assignment
- Plan to meet with a writing tutor several times, if possible, over the course of your entire writing process
- Do not wait until the last minute before your assignment is due. Although we may be able to offer limited assistance at that point, there is usually not time to make substantial improvements
- Bring your ideas and your questions
- You need not have a paper written when you come to the Center
- Bring your assignment instructions, related reading, notes, research—any material to assist in developing your writing
PLEASE READ: WRITING TUTORING LIMITATIONS
The limitations listed below will be strictly enforced and are put in place to ensure tutor availability.
- WRITING APPOINTMENTS (these are guaranteed 1 hour sessions scheduled in advance):
- One appointment per day.
- Two appointments per week.
- CANNOT be conjoined with a Drop-in tutoring session on the same day.
- DROP-IN TUTORING (these are not guaranteed sessions and are on a first-come-first-served basis):
- Limited to 30 minutes -- If no one else is waiting then these sessions can be extended to 1 hour.
- One drop-in per day. These are not guaranteed sessions and are on a first-come-first-served basis.
- Two drop-ins per week.
- ONLINE ESSAYS:
- Must be submitted at least 3 days in advance.
- One submission per week.
- Eight submissions per semester.
- Limited to five pages - Feedback for online essays are limited to the first five pages (double-spaced in12 point font or two and half single spaced pages) of a submission. Students are still allowed to submit essays that are more than five pages in order to provide context for the tutor, but please keep in mind that only the first five pages of the submission will be reviewed.