RESEARCH COMPANY / POSITION
Research is an important part of the interviewing process. It allows you to
understand the organizational climate, goals, and vision of the company you are
interviewing with. It will provide you with an advantage over others applying for
the same position.
Some good resources:
- Company web sites.
- Recruiting brochures.
- Annual reports.
- Articles about the industry or specific firms in business publications, and other areas
of the media, the internet, newspaper, etc.
- The company's reputation amongst employees and clients, and even its competition.
- Interview different types of employees, new and old.
- Family, friends and acquaintances that may have ties to the company.
Good questions to research:
- Is the company publicly or privately owned? Owner(s)?
- What are the products or services provided?
- To what markets?
- What were the annual sales last year?
- Who is the president / CEO?
- What are the areas for high growth in the company?
- What is the company's biggest challenge?
- What is the company's philosophy?
- Who are their major competitors?
- Who is the person responsible for the interviews?
- What are the requirements for the position?
- What are the future plans of the company? Growth?
- What type of management style do they use?
- What type of diversity do they have?
- What is the employee's typical career path?
- What is the employee's longevity and advancement rate?
Links You May Find Helpful:
- Last Updated: 12/12/98
- Created by CSU, Chico Web Masters