- Schedule an appointment with the RTR academic advisor, Andrew Nichols, as soon as possible to review your unofficial transcripts and determine which prerequisites you need to enroll in for Spring 2014. Send a copy of your unofficial transcripts to Andrew by email before the appointment.
Andrew Nichols School of Education Tehama Hall 101 530-898-4582 email@example.com
- The deadline to submit RTR applications for the 2014-2015 academic year is Monday, March 3, 2014 at 4:00 p.m.
A Rural Teacher Residency information meeting will be held:
- Tuesday, November 5th from 6:00 – 7:00 p.m.
- Tehama Hall Room 105 on the CSU, Chico campus
Admission to CSU, Chico
If you are new to CSU, Chico, have been out of school for a semester or more, or are graduating at the end of the semester, you must apply for admission to the University. View complete instructions for the admission process at the Office of Graduate Studies. You are required to hold an acceptable baccalaureate degree and have a Grade Point Average of 2.75 for your last 60 semester units and 3.0 for your last 30 semester units in order to be accepted for admission. If your GPA is below either of these, inquire at the School of Education about the GPA appeal process.
The School of Education requires an Initial Writing Assessment as part of the MA application process. This response document should be e-mailed to Dr. Cris Guenter within two weeks of your application. The initial writing assessment is part of our application process and thoughtful consideration is needed in completing and submitting it. If your writing skills are not deemed strong enough, you may be denied and not accepted or you may be admitted to the program with conditional status. If you are admitted with conditional status, you will be required to take our credit/no credit one-unit writing course offered through the University's Center for Regional & Continuing Education for an additional fee to help you improve your academic writing, citing, and referencing skills and move you from conditional status to classified status.
Please allow yourself plenty of time to complete a high-quality writing sample.
Read complete information about the Initial Writing Assessment.
RTR Application Requirements
In addition to securing admission to Graduate Studies at the University, you must also complete the RTR application requirements.
The following items are required to apply:
- $75 credential program application fee
- RTR Program Application
- One copy of your professional résumé
- School of Education Belief Statement and Experience Statement
- Completed Candidate Disposition Form
- Two original letters of recommendation
- Three additional references
- One set of unofficial transcripts from all previous colleges/universities
- Verification of tuberculosis clearance (test within the last 4 years)
- Current CPR certification
- Completed Request for Live Scan sheet for the Certificate of Clearance. Visit the Certificate of Clearance Information site.
- Verification of CBEST
- Verification of passing the CSET Multiple Subject Exam
Complete details about each of these requirements are included on the RTR Application.
CSET Online Workshop
Our popular CSET Multiple Subject workshop is now available online!
Photo Credits: Cris Guenter