Apply online to the Office of Graduate Programs. The following requirements are expected with this application:
- Acceptable BA - Candidates with a foreign language emphasis are expected to hold an appropriate degree or to demonstrate comparable proficiency in the target language as assessed by the Foreign Languages and Literatures Department.)
- Satisfactory GPA - To be admitted to classified status, students must have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 in the last 60 units. Students with a GPA between 2.5 and 3.0 may be admitted as conditionally classified.
- English Language Proficiency - Applicants whose native language is not English and whose preparatory education is primarily in a language other than English must demonstrate English language proficiency. If applicants have an undergraduate degree from a postsecondary institution in which English is not the primary language of instruction, they will need to submit scores from either the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). Applicants can meet the English language proficiency requirement as follows:
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) Scores more than two years old are not acceptable. A minimum score of 550 (paper-based), 213 (computer-based), or 80 (Internet-based) are required. (Chico’s institution code is 4048.) TOEFL website
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) band 6.5 is required. IELTS website
- Students who have completed at least three years in a degree program at a postsecondary educational institution in Australia, Great Britain, Anglophone Canada, Ireland, New Zealand or the United States.
- Students with scores below the minimum may be admitted as conditionally classified pending completion of a program at the American Language and Culture Institute (ALCI)
- Statement of Purpose - Explain why you are applying to the MA in Teaching International Languages. Identify the pattern you are interested in pursuing and describe how the program would enhance your professional and career goals as a language teacher/instructor.
Three letters of recommendation are also required - Mail to the Department of Education, CSU Chico, Chico, CA 95929-0222 (Attention: TIL Program)
Note: Admission to the MA in Teaching International Languages does not necessarily qualify students for admission to the graduate TESOL Certificate Program. A separate application process must be completed. (See Graduate TESOL Certificate Program for additional information.)