The Internship Program is an alternative pathway to earning a California Teaching Credential that links a professional teacher preparation program with employment as a beginning teacher. Qualified individuals are authorized to teach through a California Education Specialist, Multiple Subject, or Single Subject Intern Credential, valid for two years. Through a partnership between the school district and the School of Education, interns complete a state-approved, CSU, Chico professional education program.
Benefits for the credential student
- The Internship Program allows candidates to find appropriate paid teaching positions and combine supervised teaching and completion of the teacher preparation courses with employment in a school district.
- The Intern Credential authorizes up to two years of classroom teaching.
Benefits for the school district
- The University provides supervision and support for intern teachers and collaborates with school districts to form intern support teams that greatly enhance opportunities for teacher success.
- Hiring interns can allow school districts to fill positions when credentialed teachers are not available. Interns hold temporary two-year credentials, not emergency permits, and have met subject matter competence requirements.
Ineligible for an Intern Credential? You may qualify for an Emergency 30-Day Substitute Teaching Permit (for college graduates), Emergency Substitute Teaching Permit for Prospective Teachers (for undergraduates), or other types of permit available at the discretion of school districts and county offices of education. Some permits offer the opportunity for full-time teaching for up to one year, provided that certain preconditions are satisfied. Contact the school district or county office of education of your choice for more information.
Intern Requirement Checklist and Activity Log (used during each semester of an internship; click here for Word version).
- Information on the School of Education Service Area.
Advising: Please email Andrew Nichols for more information regarding internships.