Single Subject Credential Program
The Single Subject Credential Program focuses on developing teachers who
- embrace core democratic values and strive to live and teach by them,
- know the content of the curriculum, including state-adopted standards, and be able to teach it to a diverse population of students,
- design learning experiences based on an understanding of students' physical, intellectual, emotional, social, cultural, and linguistic needs,
- utilize assessments to monitor student progress and modify instruction,
- create and maintain a democratic learning environment that supports all students’ academic and personal success,
- develop as a reflective practitioner who exercises legal and ethical responsibility and engages in continuous professional renewal, and
- understand the role of teachers as moral stewards of the school and community.
This program leads to a Preliminary Single Subject Credential for teaching at the secondary school setting - middle or high school. Candidates may begin in fall or spring and participate in supervised teaching practica throughout northeastern California.
Candidates are able to complete programs leading to credentials through a variety of delivery options. All candidates follow the education block system. Assigned faculty advisors assist candidates with program planning.
Alternative Options for Earning the Single Subject Credential
The PRISMS Project, which includes the Residency in Secondary Education (RiSE) program, gives graduates the opportunity to become educators through collaboration in an accelerated teaching program. RiSE is an innovative 12-18 month graduate program combining a Master of Arts in Education and a Single Subject Credential in mathematics, science, or English. Candidates may also elect to receive financial support with a living stipend. For more information about RiSE, click here. A full list of Single Subject Credential Pathways may be viewed here.
For pre-program advising please contact Andrew Nichols in Tehama 125, call 530-898-6421 to schedule an appointment, or email email@example.com.
Dr. Al Schademan