Preliminary Education Specialist, Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe, Credential Program Through Internship
The purpose of the Preliminary Education Specialist, Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe, Credential Program Through Internship is to improve the quality of rural special education services to pupils and their families. The program is a partnership of Northeastern California public schools, federal and state governments, and the University.
- Opportunity to serve exceptional children
- Education Specialist Credentials–Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe Disabilities–earned while you teach special education
- Ongoing supervision and assistance from support providers and faculty
- Ability to attract top candidates, particularly talented general education teachers
- Pre-qualification of potential applicants
- Participation in teacher preparation and development
- Documented success in teaching
- Preference is given to those who are currently employed teachers; teachers who are successful general-education teachers, paraprofessionals, or members of traditionally under-represented groups.
- Valid Basic California Credential OR BA or BS with verification of subject matter competency, substantial experience in classrooms, U.S. Constitution requirement (if no basic credential)
- 2.75 GPA last 60 semester units or 2.67 GPA overall
- Employed by participating school district at least half-time or pursuing a Special Education teaching position
To Enter the Program
To enter CSU, Chico's Education Specialist Internship Program, you must submit the following:
- Completed application
- Successfully complete an interview
- Complete the pre-service requirements
- Verification of employment (under a contract) in a K-12 Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe teaching position in our service area. The position can be a .5 to full-time teaching position.
You can complete the application, interview, and pre-service requirements without being employed, but you cannot begin the internship program until you are employed (this is a state requirement).
Preliminary Education Specialist, Mild/Moderate or Moderate/Severe, Credential Program Through Internship Advisor:
Denise Dion, MPA