Michael Kotar, EdD
Ed. D., Curriculum and Instruction, concentration in science education, Illinois State University, 1980.
M. S., Elementary Education, Illinois State University, 1976.
A. B., Pre-medicine, Augustana College, Illinois, 1973.
Dr. Michael Kotar, is an Emeritus Professor of Education in the School of Education at California State University, Chico. He joined CSU, Chico in 1986 and served as Chair of the Department of Education from 1992 - 2005. Throughout his tenure at CSU, Chico he has held program coordinator positions in the Multiple Subject Program and the Administrative Services Program. He was Graduate Coordinator for many years. Prior to Chico State he was head of the Faculty of Education at Northern State College in South Dakota. His career began as a middle school teacher and later, an elementary school principal in Illinois.
Dr. Kotar’s professional interests focus on science education, especially science learning that occurs when the learner is actively engaged with problems and questions, teacher and principal professional development, democratic education, K-12 assessment, and program evaluation. He teaches elementary science methods, introduction to educational research, and K-12 assessment courses.
Dr. Kotar is conducting research into the effects of teacher-selected professional learning on student outcomes, teacher performance, and instructional leadership. This research focuses on educators applying a modified action research model and tools to address student needs. He collaborates closely with faculty colleagues in the School of Education and in the Department of Science Education at CSU, Chico.
Grants and Projects
- Teachers’ Professional Learning for Inland California, Improving Teacher Quality Grant, California Department of Education, 2010 - 2015.
- Northstate Consortium for Alternative Teacher Certification: Multiple and Single Subject Internship Program, and Trans-County Alternative Teacher Credentialing Committee Multiple and Single Subject Internship Program, California Commission on Teacher Credentialing, 1997 - 2013.
- Developing Teachers for Democratic Schools, Comprehensive Teacher Education Institute Program, California Department of Education, 2001 - 2004
- California Coalition for Educational Renewal Well-Educated Teacher Initiative, Stuart Foundation and National Network for Educational Renewal, 1999 - 2002.
- Northstate Partnership for Development of an Integrated Interdisciplinary Teacher Education Program, Comprehensive Teacher Education Institute Program, California Department of Education, 1995 - 2001.
- Teacher Education Classroom of the 21st Century (TEC-21), California State University System, 1995.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Kotar, M. & Monet, J. (2015). Teacher Selected Professional Learning: A Model for Collective Instructional Leadership in Democratic Schools. Presented at the National Network for Educational Renewal Conference, Chico, CA. (Unpublished).
- Monet, J. & Kotar. M. (2015). Effectiveness of Teacher-Selected Professional Learning on School Change and Student Learning Through Action Research. Presented at the Carnegie Summit on Improvement in Education, San Francisco. (Unpublished)
- Kotar, M. & Monet, J. (2014). Teacher-driven professional development through the lens of participant action research. XChange, UCLA Center X. (Available online: https://goo.gl/S7A9sO)
- Kotar, M. & Monet, J. (2014). Can Action Research Measure the Effectiveness of Teacher-Selected PD? Presented at the California Educational Research Association Conference, San Diego. (Unpublished)
- Kotar, M. & Monet, J. (2013). Teacher-Driven Professional Development Through the Lens of Action Research, Year 2. Presented at the California Educational Research Association Conference, Anaheim, California. (Unpublished)
- Kotar, M., Monet, J. & Villalobos, K. (2013). Teacher-Driven Professional Development Through the Lens of Participant Action Research. Presented at the Hawaii International Conference on Education, Honolulu. (Unpublished)
- Kotar, M. & Monet, J. (2012). Teacher-Driven Professional Development Through the Lens of Action Research. Presented at the California Educational Research Association Conference, Monterey, California. (Unpublished)
- Fernlund, P., Payne, M., Kotar, M., & Metzger, D. Democracy and civic engagement: Implications for teacher education, in AASCU, (2007). Democracy civic engagement: Implications for teacher preparation and a national agenda for inquiry. Washington, D.C.: American Association of State Colleges and Universities, (Invited)
- Kotar, M., Guenter, C., Miller, M. & Gardiner, L. (2006). A System for Online Evaluation of Performance-Based Tasks in Teacher Education. Presented at the American Association of Colleges for Teacher Education Conference, San Diego. (Unpublished).
- Kotar, M., Guenter, C., Metzger, D. & Overholt, J. Curriculum Integration: A Teacher Education Model, in Smith, B. (Ed.). (2002). Teaching Teachers: Bringing First-Rate Science to the Elementary Classroom. Arlington, VA: NSTA Press.