Northeastern California Preparation and Retention of Indian Educators (NorCAL PRIE)The Northeastern California Preparation and Retention of Indian Educators (NorCAL PRIE) grant program is designed to recruit, prepare and support 20 American Indian/Alaskan Native (AI/AN) individuals pursuing a career in education. The program provides tuition support and stipends to AI/AN students interested in earning a teaching credential and using their training to benefit AI/AN people.
Goals of the PRIE program include:
- Increasing the number of highly qualified AI/AN teachers and in rural regions of Northeastern California;
- Preparing 20 highly effective rural AI/AN teachers and to meet the needs of youth from diverse cultural and language backgrounds;
- Developing a support network/induction service to ensure candidates’ persistence and success in the preparation program as well as in the profession; and
- Collecting, analyzing, and using high-quality data to improve candidates’ successful degree completion and certification leading to employment.
Credential Program Options
- Elementary Teacher Preparation Program
- Secondary Teacher Preparation Programs
- Special Education Teacher Preparation Programs serving students with Mild to Moderate or Moderate to Severe Disabilities
At the heart of this project is a long-standing, mutually respectful collaboration among the area’s American Indian communities, its school districts and CSU, Chico. Tribal partners include: Mooretown Rancheria of Maidu Indians, Tyme Maidu Tribe-Berry Creek Rancheria, Enterprise Rancheria Estom Yumeka Maidu Tribe, Mechoopda Indian Tribe of Chico Rancheria, and Four Winds of Indian Education, Inc.
Qualified applicants for the program must have affiliation with a state or federally recognized tribe, or have a parent or grandparent with tribal affiliation. This program is for students who are interested in using their training to benefit the AI/AN community.
We are looking for candidates who are:
Current CSUC Juniors or Seniors,
Already in a CSUC credential program, or
Eligible to start a CSUC credential program.
Transfer students encouraged to apply!
To discuss qualifications and get more information about this program, please contact Project Recruiter Ajani Billington at email@example.com.
NorCAL PRIE Team
PRIE Student Support