Spanish Placement Exam
Have you taken Spanish courses before, but are unsure which course to register for here at CSU, Chico? Has it been years since your last Spanish class and you want to find out for which course you should register? The Spanish Program now offers a Spanish Placement Exam for levels I, II, III & IV. These exams will be used to determine whether one should register for Spanish 101,102, 201 or 202. The exams are available free of charge to registered CSU, Chico students and can be taken from any computer with network access.
Before registering for the exam by following the instructions below, please read the exam information first.
- If you have taken high school Spanish courses 1-3 within the last 2 years, take EXAM I.
- If you have taken AP Spanish within the last 2 years, take EXAM II.
- If you have taken Spanish at a Community College within the last 2 years, take EXAM III-IV.
- (If you have take advanced courses in another institution within the last 3-5 years, take EXAM V, which is still under construction)
- EXAM I: If you scored in the range of 1-84 you need to be in Spanish 101. If you scored in the range of 85-100, you need to be in Spanish 102.
- EXAM II: If you scored in the range of 1-84 you need to be in Spanish 102. If you scored in the range of 85-100, you need to be in Spanish 201.
- EXAM III-IV: If you scored in the range of 1-84, you need to be in Spanish 201. If you scored 85-100, you need to be in Spanish 202 and take one of the conversation classes.
- (EXAM V: If you score in the range of 1-84 you need to be in Spanish 202 and take one of the conversation Spanish courses. If you scored 85-100 you need to be in Spanish 301, which is an upper division course!)
How to Register for the Exam
- Go to this webpage:https://vista.csuchico.edu/webct/entryPageIns.dowebct
- Click on "Course List"
- Locate and click on "Self-Enrollment", then on "Foreign Languages", then on "Placement Exams"
- Click on the green arrow next to "Spanish" to expand the listing.
- Click on the small icon on the far right side of the screen under "Actions" to self-enroll.
- Type in your Portal username and id and go to the course in Vista.
- Read all the instructions on that page carefully and click on the icon for the appropriate exam according to the criteria given.
- Remember, once you have taken the exam, look at the scoring criteria to determine in which course you should enroll.
If you have further questions after you have taken the exam, please contact Dr. Maria Gonzalez (Trinity Hall 147) at (530) 898-5276.