Services Offered by Special Collections
A knowledgeable staff and a variety of finding aids are available to assist researchers and retrieve materials for study. Reference assistance is available for help in determining the materials appropriate for specific research projects. Telephone and mail and email inquiries are accepted:
Meriam Library, Special Collections,
California State University, Chico
400 West First Street
Chico, CA 95929-0295
Reference services are available Monday through Friday during regular office hours, by telephone, and via email.
Telephone or voicemail: (530) 898-6342
Our hours and services vary with the University schedule so please check with us when a planning a visit.
Reading Room Policies:
- All Special Collections materials must be used in the department Reading Room.
- An ID is required to view materials from the collection.
- The use of pens and ink is discouraged when using archival materials. Please use pencil only.
- We request that you register on the department sign in sheet.
- Call slips are available to be filled out to page materials from the collections.
- Depending on the nature of the materials, use may be restricted to a single box or folder(s) at a time.
- An ID is required to be held while viewing collection materials.
Photography, Scanning, and Photocopying:
- The Special Collections Department provides photocopy and digitization services for a fee, but reserves the right to restrict reproduction of its material due to condition, size, or donor restrictions.
- Permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Department Head to publish or permanently display these reproductions.
- Patrons are responsible for observing all U.S. copyright regulations.
- The use of cameras to copy collection materials may be permitted, please check with department staff prior photographing.
- Patrons are required to comply with policies to protect archival material for use by future generations.
Food and Drink:
- All food and drinks are prohibited in the Special Collections Reading Room.
The department provides photocopy and digital reproduction services for a fee, but reserves the right to restrict reproduction of its materials due to condition, size, or donor restrictions. Permission must be obtained from the Special Collections Department Head to publish or permanently display these reproductions. Patrons are responsible for observing all U.S. copyright regulations. Please contact the department for fee and use information.
Special Collections staff are available for class instruction, and orientations. Please contact us to arrange a class visit.
The Special Collections Department also provided internship opportunities for students. Please contact the Department for more information.