Study Abroad Information Sessions

      Every Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410

      Every Wednesday from 5-6 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410

      Every Thursday from 11am-12pm in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410

      Every Friday 2-3 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410

*every week except for holidays, dead week & finals week

Passports and Visas


A valid passport is required to travel internationally (including Mexico and Canada).  All passports issues after age 18 are valid for 10 years.

Are you considering applying for a study abroad program?  Even if your answer to that question is "maybe," you should apply for a passport IMMEDIATELY.

Applying for a passport is a simple process, but it must be started several months before your departure (NOW). You must apply in person at the main post office in your hometown or at the main post office in Chico (550 Vallombrosa Ave).  Some students have applied at the post office in nearby Paradise, as well.

To apply you must have the following information with you when you arrive at the post office:

  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship (certified birth certificate)
  • Proof of Identity (Driver’s License)
  • Two recent passport photos (available at Rite Aid, Costco, Walgreens, etc.)
  • Application Form (available at US Department of State website)

Be sure to read through the directions of the Passport Application CAREFULLY before submitting your application. The directions contain important information about how to fill out the application and what fees are involved.

Once you receive your passport, please KEEP IT IN A SAFE PLACE! (Your car or backpack IS NOT considered a safe place.)


Most countries will require that you obtain a student visa prior to your departure for that country. A student visa is a document issued by the government of the host country, giving you permission to live and study there. In most cases, when you apply for this visa, you must submit your official U.S. Passport so that the appropriate agency can place an official stamp/sticker in it.

Visa requirements vary greatly from country-to-country. The fees and regulations will also vary. Contact the consulate or embassy of the host country to determine what specifically will be required: Students who go abroad through USAC or IP will also have the support of those programs to assist them with the visa application process.