Study Abroad Information Sessions
Every Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410
Every Wednesday from 5-6 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410
Every Thursday from 11am-12pm in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410
Every Friday 2-3 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410*every week except for holidays, dead week & finals week
Prior to your departure, please be sure to use this Travel Preparation Checklist to ensure everything is in order.
1. Create a "Study Abroad Binder." File all documents in this binder as you receive them. You will take this with you. Divide in four sections:
- Chico State
- USAC, AIFS or IP (if relevant)
- Host Institution
- Visa documents
2. Obtain E-mail Addresses and phone numbers of academic advisers (in case you need to make changes to course list while abroad)
3. Register with the Department of State Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP): The Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) is a free service to allow U.S. citizens and nationals traveling abroad to enroll their trip with the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate. Additionally, check travel advisories at: www.state.gov.
5. Give Power of Attorney to a parent or close relative (optional, but recommended).
6. Update your mailing address with the school to your permanent address (can be done via your Portal).
7. Make two photocopies of all your important documents (one should go with you abroad in your suitcase, and the other to the same person to whom you give Power of Attorney)
- Passport (photo page)
- Student Visa
- ISIC Card, Drivers License, and any other Identification cards
- All credit/debit cards (front and back)
- Health Insurance Information
- Power of Attorney letter (Notarized)
8. Read through the Country Specific binder located in the Study Abroad Office, SSC 440, for good advice regarding your program/country.
9. Meet with your Peer Advisor and/or other past participants ("Alumni Ambassadors") in the Study Abroad Office.
10. Read travel guides for your country. Books recommended by past participants include:
- Culture Shock
- Lonely Planet
- Let’s Go
- Rick Steves
11. Check for Airline or TSA travel restrictions (www.tsa.gov/travelers/)