Study Abroad Information Sessions
Every Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410
Every Wednesday from 5-6 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410
Every Thursday from 11am-12pm in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410
Every Friday 2-3 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410*every week except for holidays, dead week & finals week
"If students don't take advantage of this opportunity they will regret it. The people I met, the things I learned, the beautiful places I saw, I wouldn't trade for anything, because each moment over there was priceless."
- Fall 2010 USAC Torino, Italy Alumi
CSU, Chico is proud to offer a wide variety of study abroad options for our students. There are over 300 CSU, Chico students, undergraduate and graduate, that study abroad in over thirty countries around the world each year, representing every major of study.
To start the Study Abroad process, follow the steps below:
1) Explore the Study Abroad Website
There are many great resources for you in the prospective students section of the Study Abroad Website. This section includes the study abroad major/minor crosshatch, the "Study Abroad on the Cheap" flyer, deadlines, application procedures, information on financial aid and scholarships, resources for non-traditional students and more!
2) Visit the Office of International Education (SSC 440) for additional information including:
- Pamphlets and brochures for each of our programs
- Country-specific binders with great articles and past participants’ tips & photos
- Study Abroad alumni contacts (Why not interview a past participant of the country you're interested in?)
3) Attend a Study Abroad Information Session:
- Every Tuesday from 4-5 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410
- Every Wednesday from 5-6 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410
- Every Thursday from 11am-12pm in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410
- Every Friday 2-3 p.m. in the Student Services Center (SSC) room 410
4) Complete your Trek Account
- Start at the Chico State Study Abroad Webpage: www.csuchico.edu/studyabroad
- At the top, click “Apply Now: to make a Trek Account
- Click “Apply Now” under the header Advising Application
- Click “I have a CSU-Chico username and password” if you are a Chico State student
- Log-in using your Chico Portal account information
- Click “Academic Year, 2017-2018”
- Fill out the “Study Abroad Student Research Guide”
- Complete the entire research guide at least one day before meeting with an advisor
5) Meet with a Study Abroad Advisor
Do you know EXACTLY which program you want to go on and when?
- Make an appointment with a Study Abroad Advisor to discuss the program specifics and requirements
- Call our front desk at 530-898-5415 to set up an appointment.
- Be sure to identify the COUNTRY and TERM(S) to intend to study abroad.
Do you need advising to help you decide which program is right for you?
- Make an appointment with an "Undecided Peer Advisor" to discuss your study abroad goals and top three choices (on the purple form).
- Call or stop by the Office of International Education to schedule an appointment (SSC 440); 530-898-5415
6) Apply for a passport!
Most countries require not only a passport, but a student visa to enter their country as well. The application process for both documents take time. A U.S. Passport is valid for ten years after the date of its issuance. The sooner you apply for a passport, the better! Applications are available on-line at www.state.gov, at the U.S. Post Office in your home town, or locally at the Vallombrosa Post Office in Chico or Paradise Post Office (in Paradise). Visa instructions will be provided to you after your acceptance into the program.
7) Begin the application process for your selected program.
Have you decided on a program? Now it's time to attend a USAC. IP or Direct Exchange Application Workshop. Inquire at the OIED front desk on how to sign up for one of these application workshops, or simply ask your peer advisor.