Our Sustainable Future - CSU, Chico
This Way to Sustainability Call for Posters
Deadline for poster submissions is Wednesday, January 30, 2013.
What is a Poster Session? A Poster Session explains and presents your research or project. It combines text and graphics to make a visually pleasing presentation. Typically, a professional poster involves showing your work to numerous researchers at a conference or seminar, and is common in academia and scientific communities. As viewers walk by, your poster should quickly and efficiently communicate your research. A less formal poster presentation occurs at general forums such as health fairs. The posters at these sessions present general information and invite viewers to ask more detailed questions of the presenters. Registered participants presenting a poster will be issued a poster number at the time of registration.
Student-driven sustainability projects will be displayed in a poster session throughout the conference and will be featured during the Morning Welcome on Thursday, March 7th, 2013 from 9 a.m. - noon in the Bell Memorial Union (BMU) Auditorium. Students wishing to submit a poster about a sustainability project should submit a title and brief description of the project and poster by email to Brittany Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org by Wednesday, January 30, 2013.
All submitted posters will be eligible for awards, including a People’s Choice Award, as well as several juried award categories.
Eligibility to submit a poster:
- The projects may be funded by a fee-based campus sustainability fund (such as TGIF, SFAC, or HEIF) or may simply be a student-led project that is not affiliated with a funding body.
- Poster topics should be submitted by students (either individuals or groups) about student-driven projects.
- Recent graduates who worked on a project as a student are also welcome to submit.
- Posters may present a project that has either been completed or is currently underway.
- Posters may be submitted by mail if the author is not able to attend the conference in person. (See mailing address below.)
- Posters may be no larger than 48 x 36 inches. Easels, boards and push pins will be provided.
- Posters will be displayed in the Bell Memorial Union (BMU) Auditorium throughout the conference. This space will include food, keynote speaker presentations, and spaces for conference attendees to socialize and network.
Set-up & Take-down:
- The earliest time to set up a poster is Thursday morning, March 7, 2013 beginning at 8:00 am and must be taken down by 12:00 pm on Friday, March 8, 2013.
- If your poster is not removed it will be disposed of.
Here are a few hints for designing your poster:
- Make your poster simple and eye-catching
- Use simple drawings, diagrams, graphs and/or photographs
- Graphics should be explicit and brief
- Have clean and attractive layouts
- Use few panels, including an introduction/summary
- Simple use of color can add emphasis effectively
- Use large print and a minimum of text
- Your poster should contain headings that organize and logically display the information.
- Keep abbreviations and jargon to a minimum
- Please take into consideration that the conference attendees are not all experts in your field. While the poster can be technical in nature there should be some introductory material in the beginning to familiarize the audience with your field.
For questions about the poster session please contact Brittany Williams, This Way to Sustainability VIII Co-Coordinator, by calling our office at (530) 898-3333 or e-mailing her directly at email@example.com.
Mailing address for submitting posters if you do not plan to attend the conference in person:
Institute for Sustainable Development
California State University, Chico
400 West 1st Street
Chico, CA 95929-0633