Our Sustainable Future - CSU, Chico
This Way to Sustainability Conference XI
Many Voices ~ Common Ground
March 24-25, 2016
Welcome to This Way to Sustainability Conference XI. This annual conference focuses on factors that allow communities and individuals to prepare for a dynamic future, one with uncertain, but generally increasing, socio-ecological stresses. We will explore opportunities to enhance community and individual well-being, and the resources needed to do so.
Online Registration is NOW open!
See the online schedule and the many valued speakers who we'd like to welcome this year!
From the topics below, please address some of the following issues within presentations or workshops:
- Leadership & Communication
- Social Justice
- Access & Equality
- Regenerative Strategies
- Confronting Externalities
- Vulnerabilities & Adaptation Strategies
- Implementation Methods
This year's included topics:
- What are the critical ethical, social, environmental, and economic determinants of and impacts on water resources of changing climate and population dynamics?
- How should water resources be equitably allocated between users?
Climate Impacts on Food & Agriculture
- How will water availability and temperature changes affect our current level of food supplies
- Economic impacts and their consequences
- How do changes in food access affect individuals and communities health?
- What is the role of food security in community vitality, and what social, environmental, ethical, and economic factors are determine food security?
Lifestyles, Health & Wellness
- To what extent and how are health and wellness correlated to vibrant communities?
- What individual, social, cultural, and other factors enhance or inhibit a community’s resilience?
- What community services are most critical to ensuring livability?
Energy and the Environment
- What will a carbon-neutral energy future look like, and how can we get there?
- What roles do conservation and energy efficiency play in this future, and what are the associated technological and behavioral needs?
Infrastructure and Transportation
- How can communities prepare for climate-related impacts on their infrastructure and transportation dependent commerce
- How can we alter commerce and commute patterns to reduce climate impacts?
- How do we create more livable communities?
Laws, Policies and Business
- How might we reform our laws and policies so that we don't run ourselves out of business in America?
- How do current laws and policies influence or economic vitality?
- How can we prepare future generations for jobs in California?
- How can we influence laws and policies to secure jobs long term?
- How do we deal with population growth?
- Changing demographics and aging populations
- Identify emerging problems relating to continued population growth
Science and Technology
- What emerging scientific insights and technologies are critical to a sustainable future?
- In which fields—disciplinary or interdisciplinary—is there greatest need for more training, and at what level?
Community Partnerships & Action
- How can we as a community take meaningful, deliberate, collective action to remedy the impact of problems in our community?
- Public Safety
- Self Sufficiency
- Citizen Engagement
- Addressing Homelessness Issues
Educating for Resilience
- What combination or knowledge and skills are most critical to providing future generations with capacity to address a constantly changing and dynamic world?
- How and in what ways can engaging students in community activities and research enhance resilience?
This conference would not be made possible without the generous sponsorships and donations we receive each year. If you would like to sponsor this year's conference, we are now accepting sponsors for this annual event. There are several levels of sponsorship to choose from. To become a sponsor and guarantee inclusion in conference promotions and materials submit your sponsorship form by December 11, 2015.
If you prefer to donate goods or services for the annual conference, please complete and submit our Donation of Goods or Services form today.
If you would like to volunteer for this year's conference please submit an email request to Lead Student Coordinator Avalon Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org or Giovanni Quezada at email@example.com
Follow us on Facebook!
- Submit proposals and photos: Now-10/31/15
- Paul Person’s Award Nominations: Now-2/1/16
- Greenie Award Nominations: 10/1/15 – 2/1/16
- Exhibitor Application: 10/1/15 - 1/15/16
- Exhibitor Fee Deadline: 1/15/16
- Sponsors printed program: 12/11/15
- Contact Greenie Nominees: 12/11/15
- Speaker changes by: 12/11/15
- Final speaker notification notice: 12/18/15
- Registration opens online: 1/1/16 - 3/11/16
- Final scheduling notification: 1/31/16
- Greenies video submissions due: 2/29/16
- RSVP for private speaker reception: 2/29/16
- Moderators contact speakers by: 3/1/16