In loving memory of Paul Persons
Our Sustainable Future - CSU, Chico
This Way to Sustainability Conference XII
Paul Persons Award
Professor and Sustainability Icon
Many people knew Paul Persons as family man, activist attorney, and all-around adventurer. Few people knew how tirelessly he worked to establish the principles of sustainability as a core concern of California State University, Chico and—his more recent priority—the entire CSU system.
Furthering sustainability was a primary purpose for Paul Persons and the University committed itself to its Sixth Strategic Priority with his considerable support. Paul understood that protecting the environment assumed a commitment to environmental justice.
The Paul Persons Sustainability Award was established in 2008 by family and friends to honor Paul Persons' memory and to help realize his vision of a CSU system-wide emphasis on sustainability. Paul wanted every student in the CSU to have an opportunity to learn how to apply sustainable practices in his or her chosen field.
Join us for a reception hosted by the CSU, Chico Political Science Department and the Community Legal Information Center on Friday, March 24th from 2:30-3:30 pm in Colusa Hall, Room 110 for refreshments, and to learn more about and celebrate the CSU, Chico legacy that is Paul Persons.
Congratulations to the 2016 Paul Persons Award recipient
Thia Wolf English Department at CSU, Chico
The Institute for Sustainable Development is responsible for soliciting nominations and for working with a faculty committee to select one Chico State teacher each year to receive the award. Previous recipients of this award are:
- 2008 ~ Timothy Sistrunk, CSU, Chico History Department
- 2009 ~ Diana Flannery, CSU, Chico Health and Community Services Department
- 2011 ~ Jesse Dizard, CSU, Chico Anthropology Department
- 2012 ~ David L. Brown, CSU, Chico Geological and Environmental Sciences Department
- 2013 ~ Don Hankins, CSU, Chico Geography & Planning Department
- 2014 ~ Nate Millard, CSU, Chico, First Year Experience Program
- 2015 ~ David Eaton, CSU, Chico, Department of Anthropology
- 2016 ~ Thia Wolf, CSU, Chico, English Department
Nominations will be accepted through February 1, 2017 for CSU, Chico faculty only. The Sustainability Conference Executive Planning Committee will select the winner from the nominated CSU, Chico faculty based on the following criteria:
• Demonstrate a concentrated effort in helping students get the broadest perspective possible on sustainability principles.
• Incorporate methods and materials into their curriculum, including current information, case studies, expert advice on alternative methods and practices used in a particular industry or career path, etc.
• Facilitate opportunities to learn about procedures that can be implemented to create a more just and sustainable organization, business, or government.
This Paul Persons Sustainability Award will be presented during the This Way to Sustainability Conference. Exact time and location TBA.
NOMINATE CSU, Chico Faculty Now!
Return to Top