In loving memory of Paul Persons
Sherwood Montesorri Grow-Cook Eat - 1st Place Winners in the 7th-8th Grade Category
Our Sustainable Future - CSU, Chico
This Way to Sustainability Conference X Awards
Paul Persons Award
Congratulations to Nate Millard, CSU, Chico's First Year Experience Program, for being awarded the Paul Persons Sustainability Award for 2014.
Professor and Sustainability Icon
Many people knew Paul Persons as family man, activist attorney, and all-around adventurer. Few people knew how tirelessly he worked to establish the principles of sustainability as a core concern of California State University, Chico and—his more recent priority—the entire CSU system.
Furthering sustainability was a primary purpose for Paul Persons and the University committed itself to its sixth strategic priority with his considerable support. Paul understood that protecting the environment assumed a commitment to environmental justice.
The Paul Persons Sustainability Award was established in 2008 by family and friends to honor Paul Persons' memory and to help realize his vision of a CSU system-wide emphasis on sustainability. Paul wanted every student in the CSU to have an opportunity to learn how to apply sustainable practices in his or her chosen field and to create a more just society.
The Institute for Sustainable Development is responsible for soliciting nominations and for working with a faculty committee to select one person each year to receive the award. Previous recipients of this award are:
- 2008 ~ Timothy Sistrunk, CSU, Chico History Department
- 2009 ~ Diana Flannery, CSU, Chico Health and Community Services Department
- 2011 ~ Jesse Dizard, CSU, Chico Anthropology Department
- 2012 ~ David L. Brown, CSU, Chico Geological and Environmental Sciences Department
- 2013 ~ Don Hankins, CSU, Chico Geography & Planning Department
- 2014 ~ Nate Millard, CSU, Chico, First Year Experience Program
Nominations will be accepted for CSU, Chico faculty only and must be submitted online by February 15, 2015. Submit your nomination now!
Once received, nominees will be contacted and asked to provide relevant course syllabus (or syllabi) and other appropriate materials. The following criteria will be used to determine who the recipient will be. Nominees should:
• Demonstrate a concentrated effort in helping students get the broadest perspective possible on sustainability principles.
• Incorporate methods and materials into their curriculum, including current information, case studies, expert advice on alternative methods and practices used in a particular industry or career path, etc.
• Facilitate opportunities to learn about procedures that can be implemented to create a more just and sustainable organization, business, or government.
The recipient of this year's Paul Persons Sustainability Award will be presented during the This Way to Sustainability Conference X reception on Thursday Evening, March 26, 2015 (reception guests must be registered conference participants to attend).
Through our Greenie Awards we will recognize student groups in their successful efforts of working toward a sustainable future. There will be two categories this year, Higher Education and K-12 schools.
K-12 Greenie Awards
The annual This Way to Sustainability Conference “Greenie Awards” this year will accept nominations for student groups in the Butte County School Districts, within three separate categories:
Elementary School Students (K-6th Grade)
Junior High School Students (7-8th Grade)
High School Students (9-12th Grade)
The top five nominated student groups within each category will have an opportunity to display their projects on Thursday, March 26, 2015 from
9:00 - 11:00 am at the conference where final voting will take place. Announcement of the winning student group will be made at the awards ceremony between 11:00 - 11:30 am on Thursday, March 26, 2015 in the BMU Auditorium.
Nominate K-12 student groups HERE before the deadline of February 15, 2015.
Higher Education Greenie Awards
The annual This Way to Sustainability Conference Greenie Awards this year will accept nominations for student groups from North State colleges and universities:
American River College
Cosumnes River College
Folsom Lake College
Sacramento City College
The top five nominated student groups will have an opportunity to display their projects on Friday, March 27, 2015 from
9:00 - 11:00 am at the conference where final voting will take place. Announcement of the winning student group will be made at the awards ceremony 11:00 - 11:30 am on Friday, March 27, 2015 in the BMU Auditorium.
Submit Higher Ed Nominations HERE before the deadline of February 15, 2015.
Final voting will take place on site during the conference.
- Nominated organizations must have clearly demonstrated an accomplishment or a significant improvement relating to sustainable solutions that they have implemented through their project, research, community involvement, or other means.
- The accomplishment must have occurred within the past two years.
- Nominated student organizations must attend the conference and display a board or poster outlining their project and accomplishments.
Nominees must be present to win.
- Nominations may be submitted online through Sunday, February 15th, 2015.
- Final voting will take place during the conference ONLY in the Bell Memorial Union Auditorium until 11:00 a.m. (Thursday for the K12 category and Friday for the HIgher Ed category).
- There will be a first place winner in each category.
- Winners will be announced at noon in the BMU Auditorium following the closing of each voting session between 11:00 - 11:30 am.
- Does the sustainable solution address the “3 E’s of Sustainability”: Economy, Ecology, and Equity?
- Can the solution sustain itself? In other words, what resources are used to maintain and implement the solution?
- Are other organizations able to replicate the sustainable solution?
- Does the solution impact school, home and neighborhood environments?
- Is synergy demonstrated as a result of the project? In other words, does the project support broader goals in sustainable development?
Download Full Award Criteria (pdf document)