Our Sustainable Future - CSU, Chico
This Way to Sustainability Conference XI
March 24-25, 2016
Welcome to This Way to Sustainability Conference XI. This annual conference focuses on factors that allow communities and individuals to prepare for a dynamic future, one with uncertain, but generally increasing, socio-ecological stresses. We will explore opportunities to enhance community and individual well-being, and the resources needed to do so.
This year's conference will focus on Community Resilience. Community resilience is a measure of the sustained ability of a community to utilize available resources to respond to, withstand, and recover from adverse situations.
From the topics below, we will look to address the following within presentations or workshops:
- Climate Impacts
- Adaptation Strategies
- Implementation Methods
This year's included topics:
Energy and the Environment
- What will a carbon-neutral energy future look like, and how can we get there?
- What role do conservation and energy efficiency play in this future, and what are the associated technological and behavioral needs?
Infrastructure and Transportation
- How can communities we prepare for prepare for climate-related impacts on our infrastructure and transportation dependent commerce
Climate Impacts on Food & Agriculture
- How will water availability and temperature changes affect our current level of food supplies
- Economic impacts and their consequences
- How do changes in food access affect individuals and communities?
- What is the role of food security in community resilience, and what social, environmental, ethical, and economic factors are determine food security?
- Extreme events
- How can communities develop capacity to be resilient in the face of low-probability high-consequence events?
- What tools are available to predict which sorts of events (especially wildfire, drought, and high temperature in our region) will be more likely in the future?
- What are the critical ethical, social, environmental, and economic determinants of and impacts on water resources of changing climate and population dynamics?
Laws, Policies and Business
- How do we reform our laws and policies so that we don't run ourselves out of business in America?
- How do current our laws and policies ensure or inhibit economic vitality?
- How can we prepare future generations for jobs in California?
- How can we influence laws and policies to secure jobs long term?
- What are the policy barriers to a sustainable and resilient future
- How do we deal population growth?
- Changing demographics
- Identify problems relating to over population, and continued population growth.
- How do we recover from the disasters already resulting from over 7 Billion people on this earth?
Science and Technology
- What emerging scientific insights and technologies are critical to resilience?
- In which fields—disciplinary or interdisciplinary—is there greatest need for more training, and at what level?
Lifestyles, Health & Wellness
- To what extent and how are health and wellness correlated to resilient communities?
- What individual, social, cultural, and other factors enhance or inhibit a community’s resilience?
- What community services are most critical to ensuring resilience?
Community Partnerships & Action
- How can we as a community take meaningful, deliberate, collective action to remedy the impact of problems in our community?
- Public Safety
- Self Sufficiency
- Citizen Engagement
Educating for resilience
- What combination or knowledge and skills are most critical to providing future generations with capacity to address a constantly changing and dynamic world?
- How and in what ways can engaging students in community activities and research enhance resilience?
This conference would not be made possible without the generous sponsors and donations we have each year. If you would like to sponsor this year's conference, we are now accepting sponsors for this annual event. There are several levels of sponsorship to choose from. To become a sponsor and guarantee inclusion in conference promotions and materials submit your sponsorship form by December 12, 2014.
If you prefer to donate goods or services for the annual conference, please complete and submit our Donation of Goods or Services form today.
If you would like to volunteer for this year's conference please submit an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org