Hartford Partnership Program in Aging Education (HPPAE)
The School of Social Work was honored to have been awarded the John A. Hartford Partnership Program in Aging Education (HPPAE) grant for 2006-2009. Once the funding ceased, the HPPAE has sustained through dedication of our community including specialized internships, selective stipends in community programs, and the annual Soroptomist International of Chico, Aging and Gerontology Education (A.G.E.) Award.
This grant is administered by the New York Academy of Medicine. Since 2005, 45 graduate social work programs throughout the United States have been awarded this competitive grant. We are pleased that CSU, Chico has this opportunity to enhance the training of social workers in gerontology. Through this program, students gain skills in gerontology while becoming leaders in a dynamic field.
The grant provides students in the Master of Social Work program at CSU, Chico to participate in a year-long training in gerontology. The Program provides a rotation model for internships. Thus, a student is placed in a primary agency for two days a week during the semester, rotating into another agency for one day a week. Students participate in specialized activities in the second agency such as facilitating groups, developing grants, and/or providing outreach and recruitment. Rotations are tailored to the needs of the students and the community and expose students to up to four agencies and/or internal programs within the year. The opportunities are endless.
In addition, students attend three specialized training seminars/workshops per semester. The rotations and training/workshops provide students exposure to the challenges affecting social work with older adults ranging from legal, mental health, planning and advocacy, policy, wellness, and health promotion.
Students are provided a stipend for participation in this year-long program. The stipend varies depending on the field site and funding source.
CSUC School of Social Work
Chico, CA 95929-0550
(Butte Hall Room 519)
Participating Agencies of Excellence have included:
- Alzheimer's Association (Paradise, Chico, Oroville)
- Butte County Behavioral Health, Senior Connections Program
- Butte County Behavioral Health - Paradise Community Counseling Center (Paradise, CA)
- Butte County Public Health
- Enloe Medical Center – Cancer Connections
- Evergreen Skilled Nursing Facility (Gridley, CA.)
- Feather River Hospital (Paradise, CA.)
- Oroville Hospital (Oroville, CA.)
- PASSAGES Adult Resource Center
- St. Elizabeth Hospital (Red Bluff)
- Veterans Administration (VA) Northern California Health Care System, Department of Social Work Services.
- Sutter North Hospice (Yuba City, CA)
- Mercy Hospice (Rancho Cordova, CA)