Part of belonging to a university is knowing and appreciating its unique history, symbols, images, songs, and other traditions. As a member of California State University, Chico's student body, alumni, staff, faculty, or as a University friend, you are part of a long and rich history, now 125 years, with many stories and traditions we are proud of.
Chico State College (1936-1972)
The 50th anniversary of the opening of the institution was celebrated April 8.
First annual People's Institution held. First evening Classes.
Campus purchased an athletic field from Chico Board of Education.
Chimes installed in library tower. Sororities held fund drive to raise $600 for chimes.
50th anniversary of first graduating class observed at Homecoming.
Chico State College Foundation established.
Training for civilian pilots offered in summer course. Forty-four students graduated as pilots, many being accepted into the Army Air Corps.
College community organized for civilian defense.
Newsletter was sent to student and alumni servicemen each week (about 600 men and women).
Summer session moved to Chico campus.
Biological laboratory set up at Eagle Lake.
First BA in nursing granted.
Veterans' housing set up on the east side of Warner Street. Temporary quonset huts installed.
Dorms for 200 male students set up on west side of Warner Street. The two-story barracks-like structures had 36 rooms, each occupied by 4 students. North Hall later became a women’s dormitory. They were brought to Chico State in sections and reconstructed in the spring of 1948. The two-story barracks-like structures had 36 rooms, each occupied by 4 students. North Hall later became a girls dormitory.
"Memo from Chico State"—weekly radio program on KHSL.
Aymer J. Hamilton Elementary Training School completed.
Governor signed bill to allow state colleges to grant master's degree.
President Hamilton retired. Glenn Kendall named to presidency.
Demolition of old training school building.
First bachelor of science degrees awarded; First master of arts degrees awarded.
Advisory Boards set up at state colleges. Ted Meriam named chairman of Chico State College Advisory Board.
College reorganized from 18 departments into seven divisions with chairmen.
Dedication of new athletic field.
Beginning of 2 year agricultural program.
Dr. Vesta Holt granted Chico State College's first paid sabbatical leave.
Interfraternity Council completed work on the campus barbeque area north of the creek. The work was started in 1952 by the Delta Psi Delta fraternity and dedicated to the memory of those who lost their lives in World War II and the Korean War. It was part of the creek beautification project.
New sign and flagpole were installed in front of Kendall Hall. Gift of the class in 1956.
New cafeteria was built to replace the cafeteria that burned down in 1956. John Selvester was named manager.
Rose Garden was planted where old cafeteria was located. Bushes were donated by George Petersen, a former nurseryman in Chico. The garden was designed by Dick Pesner.
New Applied Science Building, located on Warner Street, was opened. It housed the Engineering Department and part of the industrial Arts Department. Dedication was held on April 12, 1958.
First "telecourse" taught. Psychology 51 was taught on television by Dr. John Narciso.
New buildings dedicated at Homecoming were Business/Social Studies, Library, Arts and Science, Humanities, Men's Hum and 2 residence halls (Shasta and Lassen Halls).
A student activities center was opened on the old library (Trinity Hall).
North and South Halls were demolished to make room for the new men's gymnasium.
Purchase of 14 acres of land from Mechoopda Indians.
New two-story science building opened.
75th anniversary of Chico State was celebrated with a convocation, speakers and musical performances. Dr. Harold Taylor was the featured speaker.
As part of the 75th anniversary portraits of the presidents were presented to the College and were hung in Kendall Hall.
Over 22 acres of land was purchased at Eagle Lake for the establishment of a permanent fresh water biological station.
The University Farm was dedicated to the memory of Paul L. Byrne.
Radio station KCSC began operating in October. The station, built by students, could be heard in Lassen and Shasta Halls. Expansion was planned.
Dr. Kendall retired.
A new chime system was installed in the Trinity Tower by alumni and friends of CSC. The system was preprogrammed for the Westminister Chimes. The console was on the fourth floor of the tower and sometimes played by Fred Owens. The chimes were dedicated to Dr. Kendall.
Vets' Village was torn down to make way for a new dormitory.
Dedication of the new engineering building, named for Herbert F. Langdon, and the Performing Arts Center.
Inauguration of Dr. Hill as the new president of Chico State College.
Dedication of Whitney Hall.
Chico State College became California State University, Chico as a result of legislation passed in 1971.