Frequently Asked Questions

Have a question? Email it to 
Download our Parking Information Brochure

What are the hours of parking enforcement?

Parking enforcement is from 7:30am-10:00pm, Monday-Friday.

When are parking permits required?

Parking permits are required 7:30am-10:00pm, Monday-Friday.  Campus holidays and weekends do not require permits. Campus holidays do not always match calendar holidays. For a calendar of campus holidays, click here. Please check with University Police if you have a question about permit requirements.

How do I purchase a parking permit?

Semester permits are sold online by Student Financial Services.

Why do I have to pay for parking?

The parking program is wholly self-supporting; there are no tax-payer funds used to fund the parking program. Your purchase of a semester or daily permit enables the University to build and maintain the lots, provide frequent patrols to parked vehicles, and purchase supplies and equipment necessary to operate the program.

Am I guaranteed a parking space if I purchase a parking permit?

No. Because of the limited number of parking spaces at CSU, Chico, we must maximize the usage of all available parking spaces. 

I have a disabled placard. Do I have to purchase a parking permit?

Yes, all all employees and students are required to display a valid DMV disabled plate or placard AND a campus parking permit.

I drive a motorcycle, where can I park?

A parking permit is required for all motorcycles parked in campus lots. Motorcycles may not park in stalls designated for use by four wheel vehicles.

Campus motorcycle parking is currently located at:

  • Parking structure at W. 2nd and Chestnut Streets, first floor
  • Parking structure at W. 2nd and Cherry Streets, all floors
  • "B' housing lot off of W. Sacramento Avenue

I’m driving a different car today, is my permit valid?

Yes, the permit can be used in an alternate car.

I put money in the dispenser and didn't  get a permit, what do I do?

If you did not receive a permit you paid for, please contact University Police at (530)898-5555. A parking services office will respond to your location to assist you.

I have a F/S, R, R1, R2, R3, R4 or R5 parking permit, do I need to purchase a new permit for the new semester?

If you already have one of these types of parking permits and are on a payroll deduction plan for parking, then you do not have to purchase another permit nor contact Cashiering to continue your parking permit. You are automatically renewed.

I forgot my permit - What can I do?

All vehicles parking in campus lots are required to have a valid parking permit. If you should forget your permit, whether student or faculty or staff, you will need to purchase a temporary permit from one of the campus dispensers. These are currently $1.00 an hour for up to 4 hours or $5.00 for the day. These temporary permits are valid in “G” stalls only, no matter what permit you may otherwise hold. The permit must be displayed on the dash of the vehicle and is valid in any 'G' stall ONLY.

What is being done to encourage Students, Faculty, and Staff to use alternative forms of transportation?

The Parking Program and Associated Students have partnered to fund the Free Bus Fare program in Butte County for students, faculty, and staff with a valid CSU, Chico Wildcat Card. Carpool parking spaces are also designated. Additional and more convenient bike rack parking is being planned. The campus Transportation Committee is continually investigating alternative forms of transportation, not only to alleviate the parking problem, but more importantly to be environmentally responsible.

What are my options if I receive a parking citation?

What happens if I don’t pay my citation?

The citation fee will increase and eventually a DMV hold will be placed on the registration of the vehicle. Once a hold has been placed, you will not be able to register your vehicle until all outstanding parking citations are paid. Payment will be made to DMV.

I don’t feel the citation is valid, what can I do?

You can appeal the citation at . You must do this within 21 days of the date of the citation. An appeal provides you with an option to argue why you feel the citation is not valid. If the appeal is denied and the citation is found to be valid, a second-level Administrative Review is possible.