Starting or Transferring your Benefits

Using VA Education Benefits at Chico State

Although each VA educational benefit program has specific criteria, we have a basic set of instructions for all paperwork. If you are unsure about what program you are eligible for, go here to see a brief description of all VA educational benefits.

Veterans, Reservists/Guard, and Dependents

How to begin using your VA educational benefits.

  1. If you have never used a VA education benefit or are changing benefit programs, you must apply to VA for approval, go here and apply to VA. Otherwise, go to #2.
  1. Whether or not you have used benefits before, If you are new to Chico and want to use benefits, you start by completing an Intake Form. This is a biography sheet telling us what kind of benefits you plan to use and authorizes our office to conduct business on your behalf with VA.
  2. All students must complete a Request for Benefits for each semester in which they want to receive benefits. Please complete one of the following so that we may certify your enrollment to VA: Fall/Spring  or Summer/Intersession.
  3. We need a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility or an award letter from the VA. This letter tells you what benefit you have been awarded and how many months of benefits you are entitled.

Additional documents for certain benefits

Chapter 31: Vocational Rehabilitation

We also need a VA Form 28-1905, Authorization to Train, provided by your case manager. If you don't know what this means or who your case manager is, please contact us.

Chapter 1606:  Select Reserve Benefits

We need a copy of your DD Form 2384-1 Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE). This is a form provided by your unit. Talk to your educational officer or find out more about the NOBE and 1606 benefits here.