Getting Started as a Lower Division Transfer Student

Step One: You have identified yourself as a lower division transfer student.

You have earned some college units from your time in the military and/or institutions you have attended prior to applying to CSU, Chico. However, at this time you do not meet the requirements to be an upper division transfer student. We are not typically open to lower division applicants though we may make exceptions for veterans.

If you have any other paths to make yourself eligible as an upper division transfer student (via community college, etc.), we encourage you to explore those options. Students typically have remaining coursework to meet lower division general education requirements, admission requirements, and/or requirements in their major that can be taken at a community college.

If you are looking to relocate to the Chico area, you might utilize one of our local admission area community colleges to pursue your coursework. CSU, Chico works closely with these colleges to best serve transfer students interested in attending CSU, Chico. These community colleges are: Butte College, College of the Siskiyous, Feather River College, Lassen College, Shasta College and Yuba College.

If you feel that you have explored all of your options at a community college but do not yet meet the admission requirements for an upper division transfer student, and contend that your progression needs to continue at CSU, Chico, please contact our office so that we may discuss the option to hardship.

For assistance contact Admissions and identify yourself as a veteran or current service member

Often, prospective veteran or military students are stationed overseas and/or navigating the admission process on their own and we want to be there to help. If you need assistance determining your entry status, the application process, applying after a filing period has closed or have questions about CSU, Chico, call the Admissions Office toll free at (800) 542-4426 or email to get started. Make sure to remember to identify yourself as a veteran or current service member.