Map location scaling
Back Home Newt and don't spare the horses.
Map location scaling made easy:
1. Measure the distance across (horizontally) section 22-do the measurment
through the cabin site. Any unit will do. As an example I get 52 mm.
2. Measure the horizontal distance from the left side of section 22 to the
cabin site. I get 27 mm.
3. Make a ratio of these numbers i.e. the cabin is 27/52 (0.52 or 52%) of
the distance across the section.
4. Now measure the distance across section 22 in the UTM Topo map. I get 85 mm.
5. The cabin is 0.52 x 85 mm or 44 mm horizontally across the distance of
6. Mark this location lightly on the map.
7. Repeat the steps 1-6 in the vertical direction.
8. You now have the approximate location ("X" marks the spot to
quote Capt. Hook).
Take me back where I was.