GEOG 102 Map Exercise 2: Demographics
1. Turn to p. 48-49.
What are the units of measure for population density? _________________________________
Write several sentences to describe the geographical
distribution of high and low population density areas throughout the entire
2. Look at the population pyramids at the bottom of p. 49. According to those pyramids what do you think will happen to the US’s and India’s respective
shares of Earth’s people?_______________________________________________________________
3. Look at the bar graphs below the Natural Increase map
on p. 51. In 2000 what percentage of the world’s people live in Asia? ________
What percentage of the world’s people lived in the North America? __________
4. Look at p. 50. What kind of thematic maps are these? _________________________________________
5. What is the unit of measure for the birth rate (CBR)? ______________________
What data would you need to calculate a country’s birth rate? _________________________________________________
Write several sentences to describe and explain the geographical pattern shown. In which regions is the CBR high? In which regions is the CBR low?
6. What is the unit of measure for the death rate (CDR)? _______________________________________________
What data would you need to calculate a country’s death rate?_________________________________________________
Write several sentences to describe and explain the geographical pattern shown. In which regions is the CDR high? In which regions is the CDR low?
7. Use the crude birth (CBR) and death rates (CDR) provided below to calculate the rate of natural increase (RNI) and doubling times.
Rate of Natural Increase = CBR - CDR (expressed as a percentage). Doubling Time = 70/RNI
Ex: Country Crude Birth Rate Crude Death Rate
Sweden 10 9
RNI = 10/1000 - 9/1000 = 1/1000 = 0.1%
Calculate RNI by moving the decimal point one space to the left of the fraction’s numerator (that’s the upper number in the fraction, in this example 1) and put a % on the right.
Doubling Time = 70/0.1 = 700 years
Country Crude Birth Rate Crude Death Rate RNI Doubling Time
Afghanistan __41/1000___ __17/1000____ ____ __________
Honduras __32/1000___ __6/1000_____ ____ __________
Italy ___9/1000___ __10/1000____ ____ __________
US ___14/1000__ __8/1000_____ ____ __________