Rivoli Chapter 2 Questions
1. Review the emergence of large-scale production of cotton textiles. Understand the role of innovation, production, price, and consumer demand in this process.
2. During which 4-decade period did US cotton growers
achieve world dominance?
3. What were 2 of the costs of this emergence?
4. What 2 “exacting and unpredictable labor
requirements” made reliance on labor markets impossible for cotton growers?
5. How was slavery a strategy to avoid this
6. What factor, other than slavery, kept whites from
selling their labor to cotton growers?
7. On what did the “profitability of the plantation” depend?
8. According to Rivoli, how was plantation production
of cotton not an indictment of markets?
9. What was the “bottleneck” encountered by cotton
growers as they moved westward?
10. Learn how Eli Whitney’s invention revolutionized cotton production and entrenched the slave plantations society.
11. On what fact does Rivoli base her argument that slavery
was not the reason that cotton production in the
12. How does Rivoli account for the
13. How did the share-cropping system protect cotton growers from labor markets ?
14. What does lien mean in Rivoli’s description of the share-cropping system?
15. Learn how the boll weevil undermined King Cotton in the
16. Where and when did cotton production move after the boll
weevil struck the
17. Monkeys, geese, fire? Why were these solutions
18. How wa