Rivoli Questions Ch. 8
1. What is the "trade regime" that Rivoli continues to mention in this chapter?
2. What point do Figure 8.1 and 8.2 make about changes in the textile and apparel industry in the US? Use the terms workers, technology and production in your answer.
3. Explain Rivoli's statement, "textile jobs are not going to China; textile jobs are just going, period." Use the terms technology, labor productivity, China and ten in your answer.
4. The "Own Worst Enemy" section is complicated. What is the section's basic point?
5. How do quotas cause Chinese manufacturers to focus production on LL Bean polos instead of Fruit of the Loom briefs?
6. Explain how quotas force products and laborers to move. Use these terms in your answer: Esquel, globe-trotting corporations, trade barriers.
Your shirt's label might be misleading.
7. Why is there a quota market?
8. How does it work?
does quota trading affect the price you pay for apparel?
10. Does the quota system save US manufacturing jobs?
11. What is Wal-Mart's role in the race to the bottom?
12. Which countries were the "(Unintended) Winners? What did they win?
13. Summarize Rivoli's example of a free trade-protection controversy concerning apparel from the 17th century. Use the following terms in your summary: corpse, summer, entrepreneurial instincts, printing, wool, cotton, India, laws
14. What was the most significant result of the protection of the wool industry?