Europe Atlas Exercise #2.
We haven’t really looked at how European countries rank in terms of population. So, please turn to the World Political Information beginning on p. 289 and list the ten largest European Union countries and their populations in order of descending population.
1. _Germany_______ _82 million______
2. _France_________ _62 million______
3. _United Kingdom_ _61 million______
4. _Italy___________ _58 million______
5. _Spain__________ _40 million______
6. _Poland_________ _38 million______
7. _The Netherlands_ _16 million______
8. _Greece_________ _10.7 million______
9. _Portugal________ _10.6 million______
10. Belgium_______ _10.4 million ____
One aspect of Europe’s population is its recent increase in ethnic diversity. This increase emerged after WWII. Some countries in the European Union have established reputations as welcoming hosts of refugees. Look at the map and bar graphs on p. 81 to see the geographic distribution of refugees in Europe.
The US has a population of ~305 million. We have a refugee population of 280, 691, which is 0.09% of our population.
Germany has a population of ~82 million and a refugee population of 6 million, which is 7.3% of their population.
The UK has a population of ~61 million and a refugee population of 3.1 million, which is 5.08% of their population.
In summary, refugees make up a significantly higher proportion of Germany and the UK’s population than the US’s population.