North Africa and Southwest Asia Atlas Exercise
1. In what general latitudinal range is this realm located? _10°N-42°N__________
2. Much of this realm is
bounded by a collection of major water bodies. Use the map on p. 220-221
to identify 6 of them.
Arabian Sea Persian Gulf Gulf of Aden Red Sea Mediterranean Sea Caspian Sea Black Sea Atlantic Ocean
3. Look at the population
density map on p. 48-49 and climate map on p. 30-31. In which climate
region does most of the population live? _Cs: Mediterranean With which 2 broad physical features are the
regions of high population density associated? _Nile River_________, Mediterranean coast_________
4. Use the map on p. 221 and 229 to match the features below with locations.
a. between Jordan and Iraq
___c____ Elburz Mountains b. west coast of Arabian Peninsula
___a____ Syrian Desert c. Northern Iran
___e____ Zagros Mountains d. between Israel and Jordan
___f____ Kurdistan e. western Iran
___d____ Jordan River f. 4 corners of Iraq, Iran, Turkey, Syria
5. Turn to the Languages map on p. 53. Which language families are present in the realm__Semitic______________, __Altaic_____________, __Indo-European_________________, ____Hamitic_____________
6. Look at the Religion map
on p. 53. Which countries contain significant Shi’ite regions? __Iran___,
7. Find some maps to
answer the following questions: Specifically where are the agricultural
regions in this realm? ____Mediterranean coast, _Nile, Tigris -Euphrates Valley
8. What crops are produced? ___Wheat, corn, barley, cane and
beet sugar, citrus, dates, apples, pears, peaches, tobacco, olives,
9. Do any of the realm’s
countries lead the world in production of some crop? If so, which one(s).
10. Turn to the Mineral Fuels map, p. 74.
What percentage of petroleum reserves does the realm possess? ~62%_____________
What percentage of petroleum production does the realm produce? ~43%____________
13. Turn to p. 81. What is the approximate total refugee population in the realm? _Between 4.5 and 5 million__________