I have made this a part of the annotated bibliography assignment because of cases of inadvertent and intentional plagiarism in past semesters. I hope that this will help to eliminate any confusion about plagiarism.
All students are required to submit their papers through Turnitin.com.
Follow the steps below to create
your user profile, enter my turnitin course page and submit your annotated
bibliography. This will take about 5-10 minutes.
Go to this URL: http://www.turnitin.com/
Now follow the instructions at this link:
1. You will need to create an account.
2. After you do that, you will need to register for the class. You will need the information below:
3. The "Turnitin class ID" is 5835548
4. The password is GEOG303
The course name is
"GEOG 303 f12”
OK. Now you are in the course page. This is where you will submit your annotated bibliography.
1. To submit your annotated bibliography, click the paper icon below "submit"
2. In the "Submit a paper by:" box, choose "file upload"
3. Type your last name in the "submission title" box
4. Use the "browse" tab to choose your paper file.
5. Click "submit"
6. Click the "yes, submit" tab if the correct paper is shown. Do not worry about changes in your paper's formatting.
7. All done.
Within 24 hours you will be able to see your paper's "Overall Similarity Index" and instances in which you have inadvertently or accidentally committed plagiarism. I will also be able to see this.
When you look at your paper you should click both exclude
quoted and exclude
all, bibliographic entries should be unoriginal, so should any statements that
you have properly quoted, in quotation marks, from a source.
Now, hopefully, there are no cases in which you have used someone else's words.
Specifically, you should be shooting for an "Overall Similarity Index" of less than 8%.
If that is the case, good. You have completed the assignment. I'll grade your paper as it is on Turnitin. You do not need to send it to me.
If, however, Turnitin indicates that your paper includes cases of significant similarity (Overall Similarity Index > 8%), fix those problems by paraphrasing the passages and/or properly quoting the source.
Avoid lengthy quotations. I want to read your words.
Re-submit your paper to Turnitin and then I'll grade it.
Send me any questions that you might have.