Admission Requirements

Upper-Division Transfers

Upper-division applicants must meet the following requirements (summer or intersession work completed during the term immediately prior to enrollment cannot be used for eligibility):

  • Earn 60 or more semester (90 or more quarter) transferable units.
  • Complete at least 30 semesters (45 quarter) units of general education courses. Visit for a full listing of courses at each CCC that meet CSU general education requirements.
  • Complete transferable courses (CSU GE category A) with grades of C- or better in: 
    oral communication, written composition, and critical thinking.
  • Complete one transferable course (CSU GE category B4) with a grade of C- or better in: college-level mathematics or quantitative reasoning.
  • Cumulative GPA of 2.0 or better* in all transferable college courses attempted.
  • Be in good standing at the last college or university attended (i.e. eligible to re-enroll at that college or university).

NOTE: CSU, Chico will accept "Credit" or "Pass" for all courses completed Winter, Spring, Summer or Fall 2020 terms and in Winter, Spring or Summer 2021 terms, including those taken to satisfy CSU GE category A, oral communication, written composition, and critical thinking and CSU GE B4 college-level mathematics or quantitative reasoning. 

*Impaction Criteria: CSU, Chico is an impacted campus. If we are able to accommodate students from outside of our local admission area, they may be held to a higher GPA requirement, in addition to meeting the general admission requirements. 

The Butte County Promise (PDF) demonstrates our commitment to local area students to remove barriers and provide opportunities to become both civically-engaged and to earn a degree.  

Local admission area is defined as 30 or more transferable units from one or more of the following community colleges: Butte College, College of the Siskiyous, Feather River College, Lassen College, Shasta College, Sierra College (coursework completed through Tahoe-Truckee campus and Nevada County Campus only), or Yuba College.

Impacted Majors

Selecting an impacted major will not affect an applicant’s chances of being admitted to Chico State. All applicants who apply to an impacted major must also complete a supplemental application in order to be considered into the major. Students interested in an impacted major are encouraged to visit the following webpages to learn more about major requirements.

Lower-Division Transfers

CSU, Chico is not accepting applications from lower-division transfer students (less than 60 units by the time of enrollment at CSU, Chico).