Accounts Payable

Travel Approval & Restrictions

Campus Travel Procedures

A comprehensive version of the CSU, Chico Campus Travel Procedures can be found on our Policies & Procedures(opens in new window) page:

Travel Request Approval

Payment and reimbursement for travel expenses is made in accordance with the rates, standards and practices established by the CSU Chancellor’s office as published in the CSU, Chico Travel Procedures.

Travel Requests are due with all necessary approvals at least thirty business days (domestic travel) and fourty five days (international and US Possessions travel) prior to departure.

Concur Travel & Expense (CTE)

Employees migrated into the Concur Travel & Expense platform will fill out travel requests online. Their approving officials will submit approval through the online system as well.

CTE is not intended for activity related to normal course of business (i.e. use of fleet vehicles around town/North state) or for professional development attended on-site or virtually where travel expenses will not occur.

Paper Request Approval

Non-employees should not submit Travel Request Approval forms at this time.  

For travel funded by both the Chico State Enterprises and the State, complete a travel request in Concur. The Concur request should reflect expenses expected on the campus side. A PDF copy can be included with any submissions to Chico State Enterprises to support travel was approved.

Unfunded Travel

Travel with no funding from the State, e.g. travel that is fully funded by outside sources or by the traveler needs to be evaluated for connection to University business. If directly connected to University business that supports campus mission, a travel request should be submitted in Concur to communicate time away from campus. This will assist with campus duty of care objectives. Please review Concur reference guide(opens in new window) for how to enter a travel request for an unfunded trip.

Note: Accepting travel gifts from a 3rd party may result in a conflict of interest (COI). Please refer to further information about COI.(opens in new window)              

Travel Restrictions

California Assembly Bill 1887 approved on September 27, 2016, added Section 11139.8 to the Government Code relating to discrimination.

The complete list of affected states is maintained on the California State Attorney General's website(opens in new window)

Exceptions to the travel prohibitions may be granted for the following purposes:

  1. Enforcement of California law, including auditing and revenue collection Litigation
  2. Litigation
  3. To meet contractual obligations incurred before January 1, 2017 and/or June 27, 2017, as appropriate
  4. To comply with requests by the federal government to appear before committees
  5. To participate in meetings or training required by a grant or required to maintain grant funding
  6. To complete job-required training necessary to maintain licensure or similar standards required for holding a position, in the event that comparable training cannot be obtained in California or a different state not subject to the travel prohibition
  7. For the protection of public health, welfare, or safety, as determined by the CSU or other state agencies

Travelers are required to document any exceptions on their travel authorization and/or travel expense documentation. Documentation will be reviewed for eligibility for an exception. Use of Chico State Enterprises funds for travel to listed states is not subject to the AB1887 travel ban.

Travel Restriction FAQs

Expand All | Collapse All