View the latest updates and emergency notifications on the COVID-19 News & Information website.
Chico State Basic Needs Project

Short-Term Emergency Housing

Do you have unstable housing? Unsafe living situation? Homeless? Continual couch surfing or sleeping in your car?

We provide assistance for with:

  • Short-term (1-14 day) emergency housing
  • Emergency housing referral services
  • Off campus housing advising, transitional and rapid re-housing housing support

Application for Assistance

If you find yourself in an emergency situation and need immediate assistance contact the University Police, 530-898-5555.

If you find yourself in an unstable or unsafe housing situation contact the Basic Needs Project, 530-898-4099 or call Student Affairs 530-898-6131.

What is Emergency Housing?

To support student basic needs and academic success, the Emergency Housing Program assists eligible Chico State students experiencing displacement or homelessness with short-term housing assistance (1-14 days) through University Housing and housing partners. Off campus housing advising and transitional housing assistance is also available for those in unstable housing situations. The Emergency Housing Program is sponsored by the Basic Needs Project and made possible through the generous support of donors.

Displacement or Homelessness Examples:

  • Unexpected economic challenge or disaster leading to homelessness
  • Displacement due to unsafe, unhealthy or unpredictable living conditions
  • Unsafe couch surfing, living in a car or places that are not intended for housing
  • Unpredictable change in financial pendency leading to displacement or homelessness


  • Must be in an unexpected housing crisis (see examples above)
  • Must be a currently enrolled CSU, Chico undergraduate or graduate student
  • Must not owe any registration and tuition fees or other debt to the University
  • Must utilize all appropriate grant and funding sources from financial aid
  • Must be able to specifically document the nature of the housing crisis and the urgent financial situation.
  • Must be willing to work to develop and implement a mutually agreed-upon action plan with University staff, which may include basic needs counselors from Student Affairs, Financial Aid & Scholarship, Student Financial Services, Academic Advising, WellCat Counseling Center and other on and off-campus resources to improve financial sustainability.
  • If applicable, must have completed the FAFSA, (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), CADAA (California Dream Act Application), or equivalent. Note: Homeless, former foster, and unaccompanied homeless youth have financial aid access rights and are strongly encouraged to contact Basic Needs for additional support with financial aid applications
  • If appropriate, must be actively pursuing part-time employment and all other means of self-support, if currently unemployed but able to work.

Not Eligible for Emergency Housing Support

  • If you have additional financial aid and/or grant eligibility.
  • If you have lost your job, but are eligible to collect unemployment insurance (unless you can document unexpected unmet need).
  • If you need it to pay for expected or planned housing expenses that could have been budgeted for.