Center for Healthy Communities

Need Program Assistance?

You may be eligible to receive some or all of the benefits mentioned previously, and explained in more detail below, if you meet income eligibility and other guidelines listed on specific program websites and explored and discussed by the  National Council on Aging (NCOA).

Center for Healthy Communities staff assisting client

Call us at (530) 636-0649

Click on each tab to learn more about a specific program

Please 'Expand All' when conducting a 'Find on Page' search to include all text on this page. Any text within a collapsed tab item will not be found in a 'Find on Page' search.

Expand All | Collapse All

  • Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP)

    LIHEAP is a program that is offered in multiple counties throughout the North State:Butte County, Glenn County, Sutter County, Tehama County, Plumas County, and Shasta County.

    LIHEAP is also known as the Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program. This program assists anyone that is looking for Electricity, Gas, Wood, Propane, Pellets assistance. Clients are able to choose from the available credits, they can apply for this once every year.

    A client has to be either 60 years of age or disabled. They have to meet the income requirements as well depending on their household size.

    If you meet current household income guidelines—a household being the number of people living together who buy food and make meals together (not necessarily related)—you may qualify for LIHEAP, which can help cover home energy costs. At last report, the benefit was $300 per year. For more information and to find out if you’re eligible, call the CHC at 530-345-9749.

  • Medicare Low-Income Subsidy & Medicare Help

    If you meet California’s Medicaid income and asset guidelines or meet other eligibility criteria, you may qualify for these special Medicare programs. The Low-Income Subsidy helps eligible Medicare recipients pay for their Part D monthly premium, annual deductible, coinsurance, and copayments. If you qualify for Medicare Extra Help, you won’t suffer from the “Medicare donut hole” coverage gap, or gap in prescription drug coverage. You may be eligible for full or partial help, depending on income and whether you’re single or married. Call the CHC at 530-345-9749 to find out more, and to see if you’re eligible.

  • Medicare Savings Programs (MSPs)

    This special Medicare benefit can help pay Medicare premiums and, in some cases, Medicare Part A (hospital insurance) and Medicare Part B (medical insurance) deductibles, coinsurance, and copayments. There are four different categories of MSP eligibility, however, so figuring out if you qualify can get confusing. For more information and for help determining whether you’re eligible for MSPs, call the CHC at 530-345-9749.

  • Medi-Cal (California's Medicaid program)

    Medi-Cal offers free or low-cost healthcare coverage to those with limited income and resources. Medi-Cal covers a wide range of services, such as hospitalization, prescription drugs, dental care, and much more. Medi-Cal may also help with paying Medicare premiums, through its Medicare Savings Program. Call the CHC at 530-345-9749 to find out if your household is eligible.

  • CalFresh (California's SNAP program)

    You may be eligible for CalFresh food buying assistance if your household meets income and other eligibility guidelines. CalFresh is California’s name for the federal Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) program, once known as food stamps. A household is defined as the number of people who live, buy food, and make meals together. If you qualify, you “spend” each month’s benefits via a plastic debit card you use just like a credit card at grocery stores. In many communities, you can also spend CalFresh benefits at farmers’ markets. Call the CHC at 530-345-9749 to find out if your household is eligible.

nsbec logo