Child Development

Program Information

Major Advising Overview

Child Development major advising is recommended every semester to ensure successful graduation. In addition to major advising, see the Academic Advising office for assistance with General Education requirements.

  • Advising will assist you as you plan your coursework to align with your career goals. Advising topics include course substitutions, consideration of undergraduate minors, prerequisites for graduate and credential programs, coursework to include for specific professions, incorporating extracurricular programs such as athletics and studying abroad, and how to best use depth core requirements.

  • Students are ultimately responsible for their own progress toward graduation. You are encouraged to become familiar with and frequently check your Smart Planner and your Degree Progress Report (DPR), available through your portal. The DPR tracks your progress toward graduation and indicates which requirements are completed, in progress, or not yet met. Questions about the DPR can be addressed in an advising appointment.

  • A student with advising plans created by the Child Development advisor have access to their major coursework and graduate as planned as majors follow these conditions
    • Enroll in courses as outlined in their advising plans
    • Enroll in courses during their University-identified enrollment period
    • Pass all courses
    • Pay fees on time and remove all holds
    • For any scheduled CHLD class that is full at the time of enrollment, place yourself on the waiting list and contact the CHLD office.
  • Pre-registration is required for CHLD 392 Child Development Practicum: Advanced in order to ensure the 8 hours of scheduled practicum hours do not interfere with the student’s planned academic schedule. The pre-registration process includes an application that is due approximately the sixth week of the previous semester. The application is available online on the department’s website and reminders are providing via advising notes and posted signs in Modoc Hall.  Failure to turn in an application for this course by the due date will jeopardize enrollment in this course and may delay graduation.

  • Chico State utilizes a dual advising model. This office provides advising for your child development major while the Academic Advising office offers advising for both lower and upper-division General Education requirements. Academic Advising provides both scheduled appointments and drop in hours.  More information can be found at This office is located in the Student Services Center, Room 220, or at 530-898-5712. For issues related to the Upper Division Pathway courses, contact the Upper Division Pathway Coordinator for your selected Pathway. That information can be found at
  • Many students majoring in Child Development are able to incorporate a minor into their undergraduate work. Students are encouraged to declare their minor as soon as they begin taking minor coursework in order to allow their progress toward completion of their minor to be tracked on their Degree Progress Report. Minor advising is completed with the department of their minor.

  • Students interested in seeking a teaching credential should seek advising from the School of Education’s Credential Advisor who can be contacted in Tehama 102 or

  • To ensure timely graduation, students are required to complete several tasks early in the semester one year before their planned semester of graduation
    • Step One: Make an advising appointment to clear your Child Development major. This will be an opportunity to ensure all is in order and to make any needed substitutions
    • Step Two: Apply for University graduation and pay the graduation fee via this website https://
    • Step Three: Register for commencement. Students are allowed to walk with units pending; schedule an advising appointment for more info.

Child Development Major Advising

Child Development Minor Advising

Liberal Studies and Child Development Double Major

(If you need special accommodation to access any documents on this page, please contact the Office of Accessible Technology and Services at 530-898-6532.)

Dr. Ratekin 18-19 Outstanding Academic Advisor

Cindy Ratekin, the University’s 2018-19 Outstanding Academic Advisor

diana with hand up with 2 students

student with child holding art

observation room