Child Development

Transfer Student Information

What classes from my community college can I substitute for classes in the Child Development major?

Go to to see which community college courses are accepted in the Child Development Program at Chico State. Below are possible course substitutions:

List of possible course substitutions
NFSC 100Basic Nutrition
CHLD 250Child Growth & Development
CHLD 251Observational Techniques
CHLD 255Marriage & Family Relations
CHLD 282Devel Approp Curr For Children
PSYC 151Socio-Cult Psy Development
SWRK 170Social Welfare Institutions

Can I finish in two years?

Yes! Below is a possible two-year plan for transfer students:

Semester One (15 units)
CHLD 250 - Child Development
CHLD 251 - Observational Techniques
HCSV 450 - Hlth Ed Elem Sch Teach
or NFSC 100 - Basic Nutrition
or HCSV 363  Child Health (Upper Div Theme)
BIOL 318- Biology of Childhood (Upper Div. Theme)
or BIOL 303 (BIO 103) - Human Genetics
One Upper Division GE Theme Class

Semester Two (15 units)
CHLD 282 – Dev. Appro Curr/Chld
CHLD 353 - Methods Inquiry (+prereqs)
Two CHLD Core III Classes
One Upper Division GE Theme Class

Intersession :
One Upper Division GE Theme Class (3 units)

Semester Three (16 units)
CHLD 392 - CHLD Practicum
CHLD 440 - Issues in Assess Chld/Fam
CHLD 382 - Professional Seminar in Child Devel
Two CHLD Major Advising Pattern Classes

Semester Four (15 units)
CHLD 492 - CHLD Pract/Child & Family
CHLD 495 - Senior Seminar
Two CHLD Core III Classes
One CHLD Major Advising Pattern Class

What might help me when I arrive on campus?

• Go to Summer Orientation or see the Child Development Coordinator as soon as you can.
• Bring your college transcripts and catalogs.