Degree Audit Programming

Degree Progress Report FAQs

What is the Degree Progress Report (DPR)?

Your Degree Progress Report (DPR) is a countdown of graduation requirements. This is the document used by Graduation Advising to determine if you earned a degree. It is available for students to view throughout their career to assure they know what is required for them to complete their program. How is the DPR arranged?It starts with the overall totals required to graduate, then lists general requirements, and finally, all major and minor requirements. If you have outstanding requirements on your degree progress report, you have not yet completed the necessary requirements to graduate from CSU Chico.

How do I determine if a requirement is met?

The DPR uses icons for a quick and easy review of requirement progress. A legend is available near the top of the DPR. A green circle with a check mark indicates a requirement has been met, a yellow diamond indicates a requirement is in progress, and a red box indicates the requirement has not been met.

Why do the total units and GPA have yellow diamonds when they appear to be complete?

As long as you are in progress with any requirement at CSU Chico, those courses will impact your total units taken at Chico and GPA totals. This causes these areas to remain yellow diamonds until all requirements are completed, regardless of having passed the minimums.

I completed a requirement but now it is showing “In-Progress” with a different course, why is it now no longer completed?

The DPR seeks to use the best grade available for the requirement. The DPR functions on the assumption that an “In-Progress” grade will be a C. If the first course used to meet the requirement was less than a C, the “In-Progress” course will take its place. After the second course is graded, the DPR uses the one that received the better grade.

I completed a requirement with a D grade in a course. I am repeating the course but now the requirement shows “In-Progress” rather than completed, why?

Many of the DPR requirements are set up to use the highest grade of a class. Since the “In-Progress” grade is seen as a C it will replace the first attempt in the DPR requirement. If you do not complete the repeat attempt or receive a lower grade, after grades are finalized the DPR will use the first attempt again to complete the requirement.

All of my transfer courses appear to be taken the same semester, why is that?

Transfer courses show the semester they were transferred into your Chico record and not the semester you took them.

Some of my transfer courses have real course names and numbers and others have different code names like GNED B1L, UGED USHS, and PSYC LDTR. What are these courses?

Courses that do not have a direct articulation which is an exact match to a real CSU Chico course may still meet a general education area.

  • GNED means this is a General Education (GE) course and the second part identifies in what area of GE.
  • UGED are general undergraduate degree requirements like the American Institutions requirement or the Diversity requirement.
  • LDTR is a placeholder for a course in a specific department, such as PSYC, that does not have a comparable course at Chico but is identified as credit for that department.

Why do my transfer courses have different names and numbers listed on the DPR than what is printed on my transfer college transcript?

These transfer courses have comparable courses at Chico and show in the DPR with the Chico course number and name.

I have a course on my DPR that has 0 units and 400 instead of a letter grade, what does this mean?

The course has been used to complete more than one requirement. The units and grade are only shown for one requirement but both requirements are completed. The letter grade is converted to a number only in the DPR for the subsequent requirement. The 400 is 4.0 or an A grade and this is still the grade you have in your cumulative grade point average.

In one of my major course lists it indicates 6 courses are required but there are 8 courses in the list. Which courses am I supposed to take?

Generally a required course list shows the exact number of courses needed except when there are co-listed courses. These are courses that are offered by two departments but are the same course.

Example: HIST 362 and MEST 362 are the same course offered by two different departments. You only take one of them to complete the requirement. They do not always have the same course number but the titles will be the same or very similar, alternate course abbreviations are listed in the course description.

In one area it indicates 13 courses are required but there are only 10 courses in the list. Where are the other courses?

In the last row of that set of courses click on the View All link. This will expand the list to include the full list of courses.

How do I know what is an upper-division course?

Upper Division vs Lower Division courses can be determined by the numbering system on the courses.
The course numbering system at Chico is:

  • Non-Baccalaureate/No Degree Credit 000-099
  • Freshman/Lower-Division 100-199
  • Sophomore/Lower-Division 200-299
  • Junior/Upper-Division 300-399
  • Senior/Upper-Division 400-599
  • Graduate Level 500-699

I see an "in-progress" course on course history and in the daily schedule, but it is not showing on the DPR. Why doesn't it show?

In most cases, a course that is showing as "in-progress" on course history and on the student's schedule but not in the DPR is an instance of a student auditing a class, not taking enrollment for units as needed to fulfill a DPR requirement. To determine if a student is auditing a course, one would have to view the class roster. If instead the course is showing in "courses not used" in the degree audit, it may be due to GPA requirements built in or due to repeat rules being invoked. Students who need help can speak to an advisor, advisors who need help to understand the technical end may contact Degree Audit Programming.