Distributed Learning Technologies

2018 LMS Advisory Group Meetings

2018 LMS Advisory Group Meetings
December12/5
November
October10/310/1710/31
September09/0509/1909/26
August08/0108/0808/1508/2208/29
July-07/1107/1807/25-
June06/0606/1306/2006/27-
May05/0905/1605/2305/30-
April04/0404/1104/1804/25
March03/0703/1403/2103/29-
February02/0702/1402/2102/28-
January01/0301/1001/1701/2401/31

December 5, 2018

Project Requests

  1. Zoom Cloud recording available notification email - approved
    1. Include the link to DLT's website with more info
    2. Mention captioning workflow, where to go for assistance
  2. Predict server decommission - approved
  3. LMS Admin office hours - approved
    1. Is the name "office hours" confusing?
    2. Mainly targeted for faculty.
    3. Monthly sessions held virtually, to include presentations from interested parties, best practices, discussion, directing users to support resources.
    4. Keep in mind these may be recorded, so be careful about bringing up any troubleshooting/support info that should remain private.
  4. EesySoft B2 update to version 2.3.74 - approved
  5. EesySoft course reports for faculty-approved

Project Reviews

  1. Blackboard Learn Q2 2018 CU4 upgrade - postponed
    1. Given current impact to time and resources as a result of the Camp Fire, we will postpone this upgrade until a later date.
  2. Course load and student load for Winter 2019 and Spring 2019 - complete
  3. Kaltura B2 5.1.89 update to fix IVQ - complete
    1. Vendor support encountered an issue during the update and wound up uninstalling the B2 to reinstall an incorrect version. This has since been corrected but has caused some disruption in service.
    2. Media Gallery links in the left-side course menu have all been deleted; faculty will have to replace the links manually. DLT is attempting to recover a list of faculty or courses that might have been affected.
    3. Going forward, we may prefer to have DLT handle B2 updates when possible.

Discussion

  1. Kaltura topics
    1. IVQ grade sync issues have been resolved. IVQ still has an outstanding issue where students cannot re-take a quiz, which can affect quizzes that are copied into multiple terms.
    2. Intermittent issues where automated captioning is delayed; seems to have gotten better, possibly exacerbated by the transcoding issues occurring with some content.
    3. Proposing a player update to version 2.72
  2. MLIB basement lecture recordings
    1. Kaltura seems to be having an unknown issue transcoding some content out of the basement, which causes delays for several hours and then fails to generate all video flavors. This delays content availability and caption generation, which can be a problem for courses that rely on a quick turnaround.
    2. Discussion about student employees, communication between teams, support channels.
  3. TLP is conducting a survey with faculty, to see if the current polling solution demonstrates value. Results expected on 12/9 or 12/10. Final decisions will come after the survey has been completed.
  4. Running smoothly. Promoting increased usage for next semester.
  5. Data Cleanup. DLT hoping to advance data retention guidelines, potentially leading to significant cleanup in 2019.

Upcoming Maintenance

  1. No production maintenance scheduled.
  2. Learn-staging may experience downtime soon, either cloning from production or restoring a snapshot backup.

Action Items

  1. Miroslav will prepare notes on B2 updates for next week

October 31, 2018

Project Requests

  1. Kaltura B2 5.1.78 update to fix Video Quiz Grade Integration
  2. Set student Load Date for Winter and Spring 2019
  3. Iclicker B2 Update to version 5.3.91
  4. Turnitin B2 update to version 2.7.5
  5. McGraw-Hill Connect and Create B2 update to version 2.4.201702008
  6. WileyPLUS B2 update to version 2.1.201704545
  7. Partner Cloud B2 update to version 3300.0.61460

Project Reviews

  •  None

Discussion items

  1. Blackboard Course Load for Winter and Spring 2019 (Robert)
  2. Kaltura (Miroslav)
    1. Kaltura B2 update for Video Quiz Grade Integration
    2. Video Quiz affected by ad-blockers
    3. Captioning issues
    4. Kaltura Player Update to version 2.72
  3. Blackboard Learn Q2 2018 CU4 Update (Miroslav)
    1. Scheduled for December 23rd, 2018 at 6:30 AM to 2:30 PM
    2. Learn-test install by November 9th, 2018
    3. Learn-staging install by November 16th, 2018
    4. We will also update most of the B2s at the same time

Upcoming maintenance

  1. 11/1: Update PS-BB integration script on bbutilprd(RFC #7438107)
  2. 11/8: Zoom SAML role mapping (RFC #7423154)
  3. 11/5 - 11/9: BB Course Load, Winter and Spring 2019 (RFC #7410828)

October 17, 2018

Project Requests

Project post-mortems

  • BbLearn course template copy settings

Discussion items

  • Proctorio update – Chad
  • Data Retention recommendation on UTAC Agenda for November – Please review and provide feedback
  • Blackboard Learn Q2 2018 CU4 - December 23rd

October 3, 2018

Project Requests

  • Course + instructor load for Winter 2019 and Spring 2019, finish by 11/9
  • Expand availability of improved EasySoft reporting to faculty/staff

Project post-mortems

  • BbLearn security + authentication update

Discussion items

  • Adding Safe Assign as a Turnitin backup
  • Zoom major new release scheduled for October
  • Zoomtopia conference in San Jose,CA 10/10

Upcoming maintenance

  • 10/4: BB fix for template course copy (RFC #6964799)
  • 10/4: BB data cleanup, top 100 (RFC #7128444)

September 26, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • BB support button move
  • BB theme update

Discussion items

  • iOS 12 discussion boards issue

September 19, 2018

Project Updates

  • Recent Turnitin Outage
  • Sumtotal Project Update
  • Data Retention

Upcoming Maintenance

  • 9/19: BB support button move (RFC #6952613)
  • 9/20: BB theme update (RFC #6964608)
  • 9/20: bbutilprd OSA patching (RFC #6965353)
  • 9/27: BB pw hash clearing (RFC #6964700)
  • 10/4: BB fix for template course (RFC #6964799)

September 5, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • None

Project requests

Project Updates

  • In Bb Staging move the EasySoft button to the top of the Bb Navigation bar ( SDSU)

August 29, 2018

Project post-mortems

  1. EasySoft monitors - completed 90% and collecting usage data.
  2. Updated DLT project workflow(opens in new window)- discussed the updated workflow diagram and fine tuning project intake and ITPR process.

Project requests

  1. LMS Admin Office Hours Idea -The idea was well received by the group and selected faculty. DLT team will proceed with implementation targeting late September/early October for 1st session.
  2. Integration config change -Robert will test and implement a minor config change to fix a bug for selected courses using common environments.

Discussion items

  1. Kaltura Reach - Captions are still not added to 100% of videos and need a manual check. Miroslav will train the rest of DLT team to continue the process.
  2. Blackboard usage comparison 2017 vs 2018(opens in new window)
  3. SumTotal project update - on track with DLT, HR and TLP team members working on their assigned tasks.
  4. Blackboard data cleanup -- the project was successful in reducing Bb storage and phase 1 will wrap by end of this week.
  5. Proctorio -using Proctorio has doubled and currently at 24 courses. Miroslav is working with the vendor to resolve a Google Chrome extension bug.
  6. Follett - Dave provided general update

Upcoming Maintenance

  1. 9/6/2018 ( No downtime)
  2. Blackboard Learn Password hash clearing
  3. MH Finding – bbconfig properties change

August 8, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • Sapling Learning MacMillan
    • Shares the provider domain with Iclicker Cloud LTI
    • This means that technically Iclicker Cloud LTI is already deployed in prod as well
    • The first time we have seen this situation and is partially due to both companies owned by MacMillan
  • Late Night Labs MacMillan
    • Deployed on prod
    • This particular implementation does not have a global key and secret
    • Each instructor is provided by a separate key and secret for each course

Project requests

  • DLT PAM Implementation
    • Privileged access management will store access to shared accounts and other important accounts
  • Blackboard Publisher Integration to W.W.Norton
    • LTI integration
    • The instructor would like to use it this semester

Discussion items

  • Kaltura Reach
    • Automatic Machine Captioning not getting done for all entries
    • In the past month, we have seen about 10% of entries not get automatic machine captioned
    • Ticket already opened with Kaltura and awaiting an update from Cielo24
  • Respondus
    • New License renewal troubleshooting
    • Access is not possible at the moment
  • SumTotal update
    • Refer users to project site if they have questions
    • The ongoing effort in preparation for migration of training history to the new system
  • Blackboard data cleanup

Upcoming Maintenance

  • Kaltura Player Update to version 2.70.1 - (8/9)
  • Eesysoft (8/9)
    • Eesysoft Monitors
    • Eesysoft support button position change to the middle right side
    • Eesysoft config to add Course Instructor as Instructor category
    • Eesysoft change language of support message

August 1, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • SWRK templates - complete
    • The initial pilot went well, will likely continue for another term
    • The current process is entirely manual; cannot scale up easily
    • Would other departments or instructors have interest in customized course templates? What about empty templates, or an application that allows instructors to choose a template? The more customizable options might require more substantial development effort.
    • For future discussion: does the current course template have too much content?

Project requests

  • EesySoft knowledge base materials - approved for development
    • EesySoft support tab in BbLearn can link out to other knowledge bases.
    • This project will coordinate the expansion of knowledge bases and the connection of ES to those KB articles.
    • Where possible, DLT will prefer KB articles that are fairly stable, esp. where we can track changes.
    • Need to avoid verbiage that doesn't make sense in the support tab. References to "this service request" are confusing if you're not on the service request page.
    • Feedback to vendor: would be good if users could open tickets from support tab pages other than the very top page.
  • EesySoft monitors - approved for development
    • Monitors allow us to report on user activity counts over time. How often are people interacting with different parts of the LMS?
    • Monitors already exist for most of BbLearn's built-in tools
    • This project will add monitors for third-party integrations, starting 8/9 if testing goes well.
  • EesySoft messaging campaigns - approved for development
    • Scope + strategy document
    • Discussion about messaging
      • Can we track how these campaigns impact tool usage? Yes, with monitors (see monitors project).
      • How should people submit feedback? Each message asks if the user found it helpful. Selecting " no" asks for additional feedback that admins can see.
    • Discussion about specific campaigns
      • See several campaigns in the scope doc
      • TLP proposed: discourage use of "include enrollments" in course copies
  • Kaltura MediaSpace access for auxiliary affiliations - approved for development
    • Auxiliary "nonmember" users can already use Kaltura through BbLearn
    • Adding nonmembers to MediaSpace is more consistent for Kaltura as a whole
  • Kaltura transcript widget - approved for development
    • In the past, we evaluated this widget and decided not to deploy it
    • After various improvements, DLT/OATS are checking if it should be re-evaluated
  • Kaltura player update to v2.70.1 - approved for development
    • We have not updated Kaltura player widgets for some time
    • Should include several bugfixes

Discussion items

  • Kaltura in-video quizzing. Multiple instructors reported slowdowns or other issues.
    • Will help troubleshooting if we can reproduce the issue internally
    • Does the number of users enrolledmake a difference? Usually doesn't, but it's not ruled out.
  • SumTotal update
    • Refer users to project site if they have questions
    • The ongoing effort in preparation for migration of training history to the new system
  • Blackboard data cleanup
    • Report Migrated from Vista term deletion
      • Out of 353 faculty contacted, 27 opened tickets (15%)
      • After 2 weeks, we saved 183 GB of storage
      • Feedback from instructors will help us improve future communications
    • Next phase: focus on top 100 courses by size
      • Miroslav working on draft communication

Action items

  • Marjorie/Miroslav will follow up about Kaltura IVQ performance issue
  • Claudine will email Miroslav about some new question types in Kaltura IVQ that show as turned off
  • Robert will apply suggested updates to SumTotal project site (TOC plus compressed timeline)

Upcoming maintenance

  • Zoom to Kaltura Integration(Automate Kaltura ID) - (7/31)
    • The automatic passing of the Kaltura ID will be enabled (RESCHEDULED)
    • Zoom Shibboleth Attribute for UID needed to be added
  • Sapling MacMillan Publisher LTI - (8/2)
  • Late Night Lab MacMillan Publisher LTI - (8/2)
  • Kaltura Player Update to version 2.70.1 - (8/9)

July 18, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • ALEKS LTI Tool - complete
    • No issues reported.
  • Remove Migrated from Vista term - complete
    • Miroslav answered several questions from faculty, will compile a report about feedback
    • Still waiting to see how much space was saved; may need to contact vendor support

Project requests

  • Kaltura personal capture - approved for testing
    • New software tool from Kaltura, will potentially replace CaptureSpace in approx 1 year
    • Initial product release is very recent, so the community has found a few issues
    • Will be enabled on learn-test, mediaspace-test
    • Miroslav will send out links for testing
    • For now, we will research and test; potential production go-live around January if things look good
  • Zoom to Kaltura integration, automated username entry - approved
    • Automates the step where users need to tell Zoom their Kaltura user ID
    • Miroslav will be handling technical deployment, filing RFC soon
    • TLP, ITSS, CTS, etc. may need to update documentation for onboarding faculty
    • Will save CDOE faculty a step during setup

Discussion items

  • SumTotal update
    • Exporting and documenting training assignment criteria
    • SSO configuration
    • History export
    • Communication plan
    • SumTotal project website is live, will be expanded
  • Blackboard data cleanup
    • Migrated from Vista term has been removed
    • Next project will include the top 100 courses by file size
    • Miroslav is drafting another email message to faculty
  • Kaltura retention policy?
    • Need to make sure we don't run into file size problems down the road
    • Will online education policy try to set guidelines across all services?
  • EesySoft
    • Second phase will include additional messaging, monitors for integrations, reporting
    • Option for ITSS or TLP to change which email address support requests go to, for example, if they want to use a separate address that creates TD tickets
    • Future report about support tab usage
    • May need to expand TD knowledge base
    • Discussion about moving the support button to the vertical center of the screen
    • Discussion about adding "How to move the support button" the KB
  • Student preview feature
    • Very high usage, even more than we expected
    • Why is it running slowly? Seems to vary for some users, may depend on the number of courses, whether they kept preview user from last use.
    • Consider testing if keeping or deleting the preview user changes the delay.

Upcoming maintenance

  • Blackboard login changes, 7/19
    • This change will automatically redirect web logins to CAS, rather than forcing users to click through.
    • Future changes… we're checking if we can rely solely on CAS across the board. At the moment we have workarounds for iClicker and Bb Mobile apps. Confirmed that would impact Bb Drive. Still checking if that would impact Respondus and/or Fischer admin login.
  • SWRK course templates - 7/19
    • Other academic programs might be interested in this as well. Perhaps we can look into that after this pilot phase.
  • Zoom to Kaltura Integration(Automate Kaltura ID) - 7/25
    • The automatic passing of the Kaltura ID will be enabled

Action items

  • Miroslav will share a summary of questions/feedback from faculty about removal of the Migrated from Vista term
  • Miroslav will follow up about disk usage savings after removal of the Migrated from Vista term
  • Miroslav will send out information about testing Kaltura Personal Capture
  • Miroslav will contact EesySoft vendor about moving the support button
  • Robert will share further details about SumTotal comm plan once they are ready
  • Marjorie will update TLP's documentation for CDOE faculty about Zoom-Kaltura account setup
  • Claudine will send Nathan a list of iClicker faculty/rooms

July 11, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • Eesysoft implementation. ( Complete)
    • Initial features deployed
      • Support tab enabled(Faculty and staff support handled by TLP, Students by ITSS)
      • Default monitors enabled
      • The initial message about support tab deployed
    • Some issues found
      • Size of our institutional hierarchy
      • Support button default position can block submit button on some screens
      • Potential need to update wording about click-dragging the button and/or the arrows next to the button
    • Second phase updates
      • Additional monitors
      • Additional messaging
      • Automate creation of tickets in TDX
    • ITSS and TLP can work with Jason to automate the creation of tickets that come from Eesysoft
  • De-Provision non-domain PACT accounts in Blackboard. (Complete)
    • Completed without incident.
  • Course Publishing Life-Cycle. (Postponed)
    • Although we're still interested in pursuing this change, ongoing development realities have led us to postpone it. In the coming months or years, there may be an easier time to roll this out as part of a larger shift.

Project requests

  • Iclicker Cloud/Reef (approved for testing)
    • Update from Claudine
    • Security paperwork is in progress, can proceed with testing once that is finished
    • Use a long pilot to demonstrate usage, further negotiate re licensing and pricing
  • My Business Course Update Integration to REST API (approved for testing)
    • The vendor has started using REST API for its integration
  • Blackboard Data Cleanup - Top 100 courses by size (approved)
    • Related to ongoing data cleanup effort (see below)

Discussion items

  • SumTotal update
    • Go-live pushed back to late September, possibly 9/21
    • Will probably freeze DTS around go-live, possibly 9/20
    • Technical work in progress: mapping and migration of course data, history data, user data, etc.
    • Functional work in progress: governance for course creation and import
  • Blackboard data cleanup- Migrated from Vista(Miroslav)
    • Communication about the cleanup
      • The initial message about Migrated from Vista term sent to affected faculty(357 users)
      • Feedback received from via email from about a dozen faculty and a few phone calls
      • Second reminder to be sent July 10th, 2018 (Miroslav) as the final reminder
    • Cleanup and backup
      • Backup of the term was saved in DLT Box account
      • On Thursday, July 12th, 2018 we will remove the term from Blackboard
    • Discussion
      • Move slowly and on an individual level; gradual changes to spark larger conversations and culture change
      • Next project is the top 100 course owners by size
  • Kaltura Update

Upcoming maintenance

Action items

  • Miroslav will follow up about EesySoft discussions re messaging, support base, etc. (either at LMS Advisory or a subgroup).
  • Robert will let Christine know when MBC REST is ready to test.
  • Robert will draft a login page which automatically redirects to CAS (learn-test only, for now).

July 4, 2018

No meeting this week (campus closed).

June 27, 2018

Discussion items

  • An urgent need to reduce Blackboard disk usage
    • Archiving old Vista courses
      • DLT has a backup/archive of the entire "Migrated from Vista" term
      • Miroslav is drafting email to faculty who will be affected (about 300 users), will need feedback soon
      • Note about restoring courses: whenever possible, keep the restore only temporarily and only on non-prod
    • Courses with large file size
      • Miroslav may draft a second email to faculty w/ large courses
      • Options: reduce size by removing files, or delete entire courses
      • If instructors are okay with removing student submission files, is there a fast way to achieve that en masse? Needs more research.
    • Laura mentioned adding a note to the Fall faculty newsletter, in particular about video uploads
  • Final Exam scheduling announce in BbLearn as a banner (APSS)
    • APSS: there is a standard scheduling matrix for when final exams are scheduled, so there is a pattern, but the final scheduling information can't be made available in PeopleSoft until later in the term. Can we advertise the matrix so that people can figure out when their final exams will be scheduled?
    • Communication options
      • TLP newsletter
      • Learning Technologies Updates module
      • We need a page we can link to (something on APSS website?)
  • SumTotal update
    • New system to replace the old Development and Training System (DTS)
    • Go-live in August or September
    • More information in ETC meeting notes
    • Beth asked a few questions about how PS data will be gathered by Chancellor's Office
    • Confirmed that existing training history will be migrated into the new system
  • EesySoft
    • Live demo for LMS Advisory Group
    • Includes a "support tab" which appears on all pages, includes links to knowledge base materials
      • Support tab contents are context-sensitive depending on where you are in BbLearn
      • Can pull data from other public knowledge bases
      • Consider using TLP's KB data
    • Allows users to submit tickets directly from BbLearn
      • Where should those tickets go? Needs a sidebar meeting.
      • Can this support live chat or Zoom? Needs more research.
    • Discussion about label for the support button
    • Questions about the support tab
      • Are these cached? (no)
      • What happens if linked article is down? (fails to load)
    • Brainstorm new messages. How can we improve communication?
      • Video upload callout to Kaltura
      • Callouts for new features, upgrades
    • Brainstorm new activity counters. How can we better understand user activity?

Upcoming maintenance

  • BbLearn data center maintenance (6/28)
  • Math-Image Editor settings fix (6/28)
  • Deprovision non-domain PACT accounts in BbLearn (7/2)
  • EesySoft B2 install (7/5)
  • ALEKS LTI install (7/12)

Action items

  • Miroslav will test restoring courses from Vista archives
  • Miroslav will send out a draft email for feedback, re: archiving old Vista courses
  • Miroslav will send out announcement re: archiving old Vista courses
  • Miroslav will schedule a meeting with DLT, ITSS, TLP to figure out EesySoft ticket routing
  • Robert will work on clearing large submission files in old MP courses

June 20, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • Fall 2018 faculty load.  Complete.
    • Two phases took longer than expected: importing nodes, class template copies.
    • In order to reduce user impact in the future, we should import all data EXCEPT enrollments at first, then process enrollments once all class shells are ready.
  • Blackboard + Google Classroom operational deployment.  Complete.
    • Deploy went smoothly. Will follow up with SOE about class usage in August.
  • PeopleSoft 9.2 upgrade.  Complete.
    • Some minor issues are being worked on. No impact to PS-Blackboard integration.
    • Bb Predict DataLink server is unable to connect. Will follow up separately.

Project requests

  • Course publishing lifecycle. Approved for development and testing.
    • Empowering faculty to decide when (and if) their class shells are published for student view.
    • Advantages of doing this
      • More faculty control over the content
      • Less confusion about "empty" class shells that aren't used
      • Less confusion about "empty" lab sections
      • Easier reporting about which classes are or aren't used
      • Easier data cleanup
    • Questions in discussion
      • Should we eventually remove unpublished class shells? Perhaps after the semester is over.
      • Would faculty decide when students gain access to class shells? Yes.
      • What's the purpose of the pilot phase? Slow rollout, check for unexpected impacts.
      • What's the desired size of the pilot group? Perhaps 10 faculty.
    • Communication needs
      • How to handle students who do not see unpublished classes? We'll need some messaging around that, such as a banner or EesySoft modal dialog.
  • Blackboard data cleanup. Approved.
    • Already underway based on our need to reduce disk usage.
    • Miroslav will be taking over primary responsibility on this project.
    • Communication discussion
      • Discussion about targeted faculty communication: DLT to send initial messaging, will direct faculty to check in with TLP about mitigation of content.
      • Most of the problematic content is video, especially student-submitted video.
      • Describe specific types of content that could be cleaned up. Videos, submitted files, etc.
      • Discuss options to clean up disk usage... focus on simple solutions, but offer in-depth fixes for those that want them.
    • Future goals
      • Make sure we aren't "kicking the can" down to the next storage system. Favor real solutions over moving the content around.
      • Changes to retention policy could clarify a lot of our needs and capabilities in this area.
      • Andy requested trend data: growth history, growth forecasts.
    • Associated proposals
      • Eesysoft messaging to discourage video uploads
      • File upload size limit

Discussion items

  • EesySoft update
    • Need to brainstorm messaging and support options.
      • LMS Advisory Group needs a demo before they can assess capabilities.
      • DLT will prepare a demo for 1-2 weeks, at LMS Advisory meeting.
    • How to direct support tickets, between ITSS, TLP, DLT?
    • Working group with DLT + TLP? Jim volunteered as a point of contact.
  • SumTotal update
    • After conversations with ETC group (PDEV, EHS, HRIS, et al.) and CO technical staff, we're moving our projected go-live date to August. This will align better with other CSUs going live, and will make it so that our new and returning faculty only need to use one training system while they're here. Delaying any longer would force a two-phase migration; this saves work.
    • ADS and EAPP have both expressed concern if they will be overloaded. At this time we do not anticipate significant workload to either team as a result of this project -- the CO will be relying on data which they already have access to.

Action items

  • Miroslav will follow up with EAPP about the Bb Predict DataLink server.
  • Robert will prepare write-up explaining changes to course publishing lifecycle.
  • Robert + Miroslav will coordinate messaging to faculty about Bb data cleanup project. Will check with TLP for feedback before sending.
  • Miroslav will prepare EesySoft demo for LMS Advisory Group.

Upcoming maintenance

  • Math-Image Editor Fix (6/28)
  • Install Aleks LTI Integration (7/12)
  • Remove Migrated from Vista term (7/12)

June 13, 2018

Project post mortems

  • Blackboard Q4 2017 CU2 upgrade (6/9, 12:30 AM to 8:30 AM)
  • Bb Ally sitewide launch

Discussion items

  • Turnitin comm plan for Summer (scheduled maintenance 7/10)
  • PACT guest users will be decommissioned at end of June
  • Proctorio check-in
  • Urgent need to reduce Blackboard disk usage

Upcoming maintenance

  • Fall 2018 faculty load (6/13)
  • Google Classroom operational deployment (6/14)
  • PeopleSoft 9.2 upgrade (6/14 to 6/17)

June 6, 2018

Meeting canceled .


May 30, 2018

Project requests

  • ALEKS LTI integration - approved for testing
    • Homework/content provider, under MGH umbrella
    • LTI integrations are usually fairly lightweight
    • See discussion below about project requirements

Project post mortems

  • Summer 2018 student load - completed
    • Went great! No issues logged or reported.

Discussion items

  • Discussion about project requests
    • What level of support can we, should we, offer for products like this? Discussion about number of users, needing test accounts, relationship with vendor, etc.
    • Should requestors present at LMS Advisory meeting? It's an inconvenience, but also ensures we have a product champion that understands the context in which it will be used.
    • Table these questions for future discussion.
  • Urgent need to reduce Blackboard disk usage
    • We are over our contracted disk usage. Discussion about options to mitigate that.
    • Robert will coordinate with TLP ITCs to get in touch with faculty who are using unusually high disk space.
    • Option: Archive older terms to cold storage. Anything past 5 years (Summer 2013 and earlier).
    • Option: Contact faculty using a lot of space, see if we can reduce that.
    • Option: See if we can negotiate any extensions with vendor.
    • Seems like the highest disk usage is from student submissions. This may be something to consider in future conversations about data retention policy.
    • Whenever possible, we need to communicate with users before we take action.

Support topics

  • Several instructors reported issues with Kaltura Video Quiz feeding back to grade center

Action items

  • Robert will see what went wrong with DLT's projects page
  • Robert will investigate vendor's archival process for older courses
  • Robert will create a service desk entry for restoring data from archived courses
  • Robert and TLP ITCs will coordinate getting in touch with "high use" faculty about disk space
    • Robert will generate individualized reports to facilitate this
  • Dave will engage with Andy about further discussion on the disk usage question

May 23, 2018

Meeting cancelled.

May 16, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • Safari 11.1 fix -
    • Monitoring to see if the issue will resurface
    • Banner will be posted if needed

Project requests

  • Security update for Account Center - approved for testing
    • Updating security related to Account Center user provisioning
    • Will see if we can schedule this alongside high-availability authentication services over Summer
    • Question about removing user/password option from the login page, only going to CAS. DLT will look into it.

Discussion items

  • Ally go-live 5/24
    • Will be deployed to all courses. Mainly affects Summer and Fall.
    • Jeremy shared some details about the communication plan
    • Most obvious sign to end users is probably the dial indicators; one-pager doc explains those
    • Note about best practices: may help to upload native file types, especially for PPT files
    • OATS/ITSS working on Live Chat support via Bomgar
    • TLP needs Ally adoption toolkit info (Christine has the link)
    • Possible future project to update accessible syllabus example template(s)
  • EesySoft discussion
    • Can EesySoft support Live Chat with Bomgar as well?
    • Should some course template materials regarding faculty/student support be moved into ES KB?
  • Blackboard service pack update: Q4 2017 CU2
    • Schedule update: back to original date, 6/9, 12:30 AM to 8:30 AM
    • Testing is ongoing
    • Recommendation to continue with the CU2 install as planned
    • Communication plan draft(opens in new window)
    • Project page on DLT website
    • CU3 was released after we started testing. Miroslav evaluated the list of issues resolved:'
      • Unexpected Error Thrown when Managing Files or Folders via WebDAV - Article #48573
      • SafeAssign Reports not Generating - Article #47995
      • Adding a Second Math Editor Equation Renders only Text - Article #47783
      • Overdue Notifications sent to Students that Submitted Assignment when Due Date is Changed - Article #47736
      • Self and Peer Assessment only Lists the First File Uploaded by a Student - Article #47447
      • Announcements Linked to Unavailable Content are not Visible to Instructors Until the Content is Visible - Article #46125
      • Actual Score Data Missing in Analyze Evidence Collection Results - Article #43595
      • Error when Attempting to Dismiss Notifications in My Institution Tab - Article #42611
      • Achievements Building Block Logging Configuration is Set to DEBUG Level - Article #35344
  • Summer 2018 student load
    • Scheduled for 5/23
  • Fall template updates
    • Dave suggested a group to consider updates for course template prior to Fall faculty load
    • Would need to get those updates soon, since the load date is only 3 weeks away

Tabled for future discussion

  • Zoom subcommittee to review default session settings
    • Participants
    • Timeline

Action items

  • Jeremy/Robert will follow up about updating the Accessibility Support footer in Blackboard
  • Robert will add Ally info to the Learning Tech Updates module (need something to link to)
  • Christine will share Ally toolkit link with TLP
  • Miroslav/Robert will follow up about "hurricane page" for BB scheduled maintenance

May 9, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • Qwickly B2 install - completed
    • Installed without incident
  • Safari 11.1 fix - pending
    • Fix was installed
    • Yesterday afternoon (5/8), several reports of a repeat issue after the fix was installed. Seemed to be temporary, but we are still investigating.
    • Vendor support ticket is open
    • Found a way to check all app nodes
    • Miroslav is developing a comm plan for finals in case this isn't resolved by then
  • NBC Learn B2 removal - completed
    • Uninstalled, no longer available
  • Kaltura video speed option on embed player - completed
    • The setting changed without incident
  • Assignment B2 update - completed
    • Installed, but complications during go-live caused unexpected production downtime on 5/3
    • Unprecedented in previous installs against testing or staging systems
    • Best guess root cause: user activity during the upgrade triggered an unknown error that we haven't seen before?
    • Steps to mitigate: DLT is reviewing future maintenance plans with vendor support team. We may ask the vendor to install core B2s during off hours.

Discussion items

  • Proctorio rollout
    • Working toward campus-wide rollout
    • Jim/TLP developing training for faculty, which will be required before the tool is made available
    • An ongoing discussion about contracts and policy
    • Soonest it would be available is for Summer courses, not in time for finals
  • Kaltura workflow for response/feedback content
    • Any update on replacement workflow for "Record from Webcam" feature?
    • Flash is deprecated in most browsers; we may disable the feature now that it's hard for users to activate
    • Other options include CaptureSpace (desktop app) or MediaSpace (desktop + mobile app)
    • TLP requesting more information to develop job aids
  • Blackboard Q4 2017 CU2 upgrade
    • Staging upgraded 4/25
    • Testing is ongoing
    • Blackboard just released CU3. Miroslav is checking patch notes in case there are any showstopper issues. We lean toward continuing with CU2 since it is a known quantity, but final decision will be coming soon.
    • Go-live date change: 6/8 at 12:30 AM.
    • The vendor may be performing their own system maintenance on 6/9; details coming soon.
    • Both of those windows are within the campus-wide power outage for that weekend.
    • Comm plan is in development. Will include plans to email Summer faculty.
  • Eesysoft demo
    • Deployed on test and staging systems
    • Expected go-live in early July
    • Brainstorm options for use of these features
    • Will need to follow up with ITSS and plan support workflow
    • Four major pieces
      • In-app support messaging
      • Monitoring and statistics
      • Knowledge Base support, including page-specific content
      • Opening support tickets directly in Blackboard, including support info such as browser version, page URL, etc.
      • Brainstorm options for use of these features

Action items

  • Miroslav will send TLP more information about 3 ways to record video responses after flash web recorder is gone
  • Miroslav will review Q4 2017 CU3 patch notes and discuss options with DLT

April 25, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • Security advisory changes made in MH
    • Enhanced HTML filtering to resolve an XSS vulnerability
    • Already enabled on production
    • No increase in tickets reported from DLT, TLP, ITSS
    • Christine did mention a mailing list thread
  • Bbutil cleanup of unused script files
    • Went live 4/19, no incidents reported

Project requests

  • No new project requests this week

Discussion items

  • Qwickly update
    • Scheduled for 4/26
    • Originally deploying only to faculty tab; will also include staff tab
    • Discussion about institution roles and tab visibility
    • Recommendation to give TLP access to faculty tab
    • Andy recommended querying IAM (or LDAP) to populate secondary institution roles
  • Safari 11.1 file upload fix
    • Updated fix from MH team does work, can deploy with no downtime
    • Scheduled for deployment at 6-7 am tomorrow (4/26)
  • Bb Learn Q4 2017 CU2 upgrade
    • Test system upgrade complete
    • Staging system upgrade scheduled for this afternoon (4/25) at 2:30 PM
    • Production system upgrade scheduled for 6/9 at 12:30 AM
    • Expected downtime is several hours; will know more soon
    • Functional testing set to begin tomorrow (4/25)
  • Removing NBC Learn B2
    • Scheduled for 4/26
  • Kaltura video speed option on embed player
    • Scheduled for 4/26
  • PeopleSoft upgrade in June
    • Will be unavailable approx 6/14 to 6/17
    • Will need to pause PS-BB integration
    • Other than freezing enrollments/accounts, no impact to Blackboard is expected

Support questions

  • Fall load dates
    • Faculty load scheduled for 6/13
    • Student load tentatively 10 days ahead of the term start
  • Support questions
    • Common Environment builds with no content. Affects around 1% of builds, apparently at random. Can be fixed with a manual course copy, or by filing a ticket.
    • Uploading a course cartridge renames the course. File a ticket to fix the course name.
  • Role cleanup
    • Over summer, DLT will merge "course instructor" into "instructor"
    • Larger cleanup may take more time; this has been a long-standing issue
    • Christine/Chad mentioned updating TLP wiki's page about course roles

Action items

  • Miroslav will follow up on today's learn-staging maintenance (Q4 2017 upgrade)
  • Miroslav will coordinate with MH team to install Safari 11.1 fix
  • Robert will email Mark to discuss testing the PS upgrade (file transfers, mainly)
  • Robert will coordinate with EAPP to handle PS-BB integration freeze
  • Chad will follow up on updating TLP KB course roles page

April 18, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • Leganto - completed
    • Claudine reported an issue: "send to librarian" greyed out, but it turned out the item was already published and there was no need to re-send. Have to remember in case that confuses people.
    • FLC group starts meeting today (4/18)
    • Question about adding users as a collaborator. That is managed by the library in Alma/Leganto platform. If assistance is needed, consider a ticket to Jodi.
  • CAS/Shib in Blackboard - completed
    • Switched over last night (4/17)
    • No issues on Blackboard
    • A temporary issue preventing WildcatMail logins, now resolved

Project requests

  • An issue with Safari 11.1 - approved
    • The vendor has a proposed fix that will need test + install
    • About 10 tickets @ DLT
    • Need a Macintosh computer to test; will coordinate with ITSS
    • Is a rolling restart needed? If so, expedite a perform maintenance in evening hours.
    • How many users are affected?
      • Less than 2% of users, but it's anyone who tries to upload files through the GUI
      • The number will grow as more users upgrade to this Safari version
      • Currently, we have no way to target banners to specific browsers
      • Monitor growth; continue advising users as they report tickets

Discussion items

  • Qwickly update
    • Go-live scheduled for 4/26
    • Marjorie posting to TLP blog around 4/24
    • Robert can update Learning Tech module to point at the blog post
    • Course publishing option? Needs more discussion before we consider enabling that.
  • Turnitin outages
    • Several outages this year
    • Vendor conference call with CSU last week
    • The vendor has posted a new status page - https://turnitin.status.io/
    • Vendor revising their approaches to communication and change management
    • Considering alternatives… SafeAssign?
    • Discussion about rubrics and guidelines for tool selection, supporting multiple tools, etc… will need more discussion to develop a consensus. Concerns include uptime, stability, scaling support, curriculum development, capturing feedback + evidence of utility, reasons for the change. Need to support choice while also leveraging economies of scale.
    • Some users have complained Turnitin can be very slow at times (60+ second waits). Please ask those users to submit tickets so that we can follow up.
  • Blackboard unplanned downtime 4/17 early AM
    • Roughly 2-hour downtime
    • Vendor confirms that web servers lost connectivity to the backend, owing to a data center issue
    • Emergency maintenance scheduled for 4/18 to ensure continued stability
  • Blackboard email outage 4/17
    • Once Blackboard came back online, it appears that email functionality was not functioning
    • Unclear at the moment if that is related to the morning outage
    • Robert is troubleshooting with ESYS, will have more information soon
    • Can potentially pull logs to identify users who tried to send an email today
  • iClicker
    • Security team review of certain items is ongoing (Reef, etc.)
    • Needs SSO implementation
    • Do any cloud-based student response systems support SAML auth?
  • New Box View
    • Updates are coming… will they be tied to a Blackboard service pack?
    • Some indication that updates will require Q2 2018, which would force upgrades. Some clients do not update to latest version and might miss out. Will continue discussing support plans with the vendor.

Action items

  • Miroslav will check if Jodi has access to TDX in order to help with support tickets
  • Miroslav will coordinate with ITSS to test Safari 11.1 fix on Mac platform
  • Miroslav will follow up with BB support about New Box View service pack requirements
  • Marjorie will prepare a blog post about Qwickly
  • Robert will prepare a LT module update about Qwickly
  • Robert will send email log data to Claudine and Chad so that they can reach out to users impacted by mail outage
  • Dave will check with other CSUs about their experiences using both SafeAssign and Turnitin

April 11, 2018

Project post-mortems

  • Summer 2018 term load. Completed.
    • Bug found during initial load on Friday, temporary workaround applied on Saturday by Robert.
    • Code to be fixed for next available maintenance for a longer-term fix

Project requests

  • NBC Learn removal. Approved for testing.
    • The contract expired, the tool is no longer fully functional.
  • EesySoft B2 install. Approved for testing.
    • Provides targeted messaging built into the LMS
    • Can also provide analytics data regarding tool usage
    • Contract starts 7/1, cannot go live before then
    • Question: will activity data include historical info or only new data?
    • Question: does this tool support only Blackboard internals, or does it support other integrations?

Discussion items

  • Safari 11.1 upload issue
    • Started since March 28, browser usage covers 2.5% of sessions since then
    • The issue causes file upload to fail, affects both faculty and students any time they are uploading files
    • Safari is built into MacOS, so we cannot delay the upgrade for users
    • Workaround: use another browser, such as Firefox or Chrome
  • Qwickly update.
    • Course publishing feature was successfully disabled.
    • Note about promotion for cloud features in user settings page.
    • Discussion about the communication plan
      • Course publishing lifecycle
      • Dave emailed Directors of Academic Technology (DAT) asking other CSU campuses for information about how they publish LMS class sections to their students (fixed date, faculty choice, etc.)
      • Could empower faculty to control this feature.
      • More research, evaluating options.
  • CAS/Shib authentication update .
    • Go-live scheduled for 4/17/2018 at 9 pm
    • Several systems are moving at the same time, including Portal and PeopleSoft
    • No downtime is expected (except for PeopleSoft)
  • Leganto update
    • Go-live scheduled for 4/16/2018
    • 14 faculty in FLC, also starts next week
    • Reading list, documents, etc.
    • Question about what to call the LTI tool link in Blackboard - "Reading List" or " Leganto"
  • Turnitin outages
    • After several outages this year, several staff have raised questions about evaluating alternatives to Turnitin.
    • CO has a standing meeting with the vendor; Dave will attend, relay our concerns, and bring back more info.
  • CMT is working with Erik Wasinger to pilot VR usage in a classroom context

Support questions

  • Question about Sapling integration
    • Claudine asked if this tool needs an ITPR; one is already ongoing
  • Is there a good way for TLP ITCs to get visibility on ITPRs that are ongoing or already approved?
  • Some mention about new software with grade center integration
  • Question about Kaltura
    • An office is working with distant students, especially on recruiting overseas students
    • Can the recruiter use Kaltura videos in this context, for recruiting?
    • Need more specific info about the viewers' affiliation with the university, if any
    • If affiliated can probably use a private channel
    • If not affiliated, would potentially need to use a public channel

Action items

  • Dave will check: does EesySoft support third-party integrations in Blackboard?
  • DLT will check options for targeted messaging re Safari upload issue
  • DLT will monitor Safari usage, see if user adoption increases
  • Robert will check if Qwickly vendor has any premade communication/training materials
  • Robert will prepare more technical info about options for faculty to self-publish class sections to their students
  • DLT will check if we can estimate the number of users impacted by Turnitin outages
  • Dave will report back from CO/Turnitin meeting
  • Mike will forward Dave information about CMT's VR vendor (Sama?)
  • Miroslav will follow up with Sapling vendor about new software

April 4, 2018

Project Post Mortem

      • NSSE. Completed.
        • Addition of links in Blackboard, along with iPad raffle, led to a strong increase in student response rate.
        • Underlying B2 can be used again for future surveys as needed, although we should control module visibility with an institution role so that users without a survey link do not see broken links.
        • No issues reported.
      • Lynda B2 update. Completed.
        • Added support for next version of Blackboard
        • No issues reported
      • Kaltura B2 update. Completed.
        • One issue reported, not clear if related to update: instructor not seeing thumbnails?
      • ePortfolio tab and role removal. Completed.
        • No issues reported.
      • Bulk calendar B2 install. Closed.
        • Originally suggested plugin is no longer supported, cannot be installed.
        • Second suggested plugin is actually for WebCT Vista, not Blackboard; cannot be installed.
        • Closing project

Project requests

      • Blackboard Learn Q4 2017 CU2 upgrade. Approved.
        • Discussed release notes. Marjorie identified a few items to test, but nothing that would prevent moving ahead.
        • DLT will try to schedule go-live alongside campus power outage, to reduce user impact.
      • Kaltura video speed option on embed player. Approved.
        • This option is currently enabled on other players, except for this one.

Discussion items

  • Summer 2018 faculty load this Friday (4/6/2018)
  • Qwickly update
    • Was postponed pending further review by TLP.
    • After review and discussion, DLT will resolve course publishing feature and then schedule go-live
  • CAS/Shib authentication update. New date, scheduled for 4/17/2018 around 9pm
  • Zoom Settings Subgroup update.
    • Tabled until July
    • Can we report on what other settings that users might have changed? Would need vendor assistance.
  • Question regarding CATME usage around campus
    • Has there been an ITPR?
  • Leganto update.
    • Tech issues nearly worked out in staging
    • FLC pilot group is ongoing, continues into May
    • Go-live set for 4/16/2018

Action Items

  • Robert will close NSSE project.
  • Miroslav will close Lynda update project.
  • Miroslav will close Kaltura update project.
  • Miroslav will close ePortfolio tab and role removal project.
  • Miroslav will close Bulk Calendar install project.
  • Miroslav will move ahead with Qwickly B2 install (test + schedule)
  • Marjorie + Miroslav will lead Zoom settings subgroup (tabled until summer)
  • Marjorie will send Dave information about CATME usage

March 29, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Project Requests
      • Blackboard Learn Q42017(opens in new window) CU2 ( needs further review)
        • Release notes were sent out previously
      • Summer 2018 Students Load
      • PACT Local User Accounts
      • Assignment B2 Update (3200.0.5-rel.52+58e0894)
        • Improved an issue causing users to see a message within the InlineGrading interface stating “This file is being converted. The estimated wait time is X seconds.” While significantly large (>10mb) files may still require a short amount of time to convert, the occurrences of this dialog will be significantly reduced. An improved explanation of how the settings relating to this function within the Assignments B2 has also be added
        • Added the ability to configure a proxy server to work with the New Box View service
        • Added logic to resend documents to New Box View if they fail to transmit due to connectivity issues
      • Bbutilnodes cleanup

Discussion Items

  • DLT Staffing Transition
  • Blackboard Maintenance 3/29/2018
  • CAS/Shib Authentication MigrationKaltura Demo and Roadmap- 3/21/2018(Completed)
    • Postponed due to networking issue for portal
  • Kaltura
  • Zoom Default settings subgroup

Action Items

Back to top

March 21, 2018

This meeting was replaced by a 2-hour Kaltura demo.

March 14, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Project Requests
    • ePortfolio Tab and Role Removal(opens in new window)( approved)
    • Summer 2018 Instructor Load, 4/9/2018 ( approved)
      • Discussed customized student load dates and determined DLT no longer allows those, and instead loads all students on a set date.
        • The set date is currently 10 days before first day of classes for that term.
        • There was discussion about moving this date? Maybe 2 weeks before classes?
        • Current practice for major terms (Spring, Fall): 10 days before first day of classes
        • Current practice for other terms (Summer, Winter): discussion with DLT + RCE
        • Can we track course copies for next semester? Could analyze data bout when faculty are setting up courses relative to start of term.
    • Lynda B2 Update 1.1.1 ( approved)
      • Not a major update; no new features, mainly bugfixes
      • Usage across campus is growing
    • Blackboard Learn Q4(opens in new window)( needs further review)
      • Needs more focused information. What are the major changes?
    • Blackboard Ally - Campus Go Live ( approved)
      • Scheduled for 5/24/2018

Discussion Items

  • CAS/Shib Authentication Migration
    • Blackboard can use several authentication backends, including CAS. Current CAS service is nearing end of life, will stand up a new CAS Service on Shib servers.
    • This allows SSo (Single Sign On) across more services for both CAS and Shib.
    • End-user experience should be unchanged, may have slightly less logins prompts.
    • Several campus services changing over on 3/20/2018, including Blackboard, Portal and PeopleSoft.
  • Timeline of Learning Technology Changes(opens in new window)
    • Note the campus schedules two data center downtimes per year; we can align our major downtimes with those in order to reduce overall downtime
  • Blackboard MH Audits - LMS Maintenance Notes(opens in new window)
    • Based on vendor monitoring
    • Xythos cross-server communication
    • DBa recycle bin
    • CMS resource link pointing to top-level folder
    • All fixes going in Thursday morning 3/15/2018, no downtime.
  • Zoom Polling for Everyone
    • Users can customize their meeting settings, for example by turning on tools such as polling.
    • If a user starts an "instant" meeting, that disregards their settings and uses the site-wide defaults
    • Should we enable polling in the defaults? Should we review other settings as well?
    • Can vendor set up instant meetings to use user's settings?
  • Kaltura Demo and Roadmap- 3/21/2018
    • Replacing standard LMS advisory meeting
    • Meeting Location: SSC 122
    • Meeting Time: 9am - 11am

Action Items

  • Dave will send TLP information about student load dates and potential justification for changing dates.
  • Garreth will prepare notes about the Q4 2017 service pack upgrade
  • Garreth will prepare notes about Zoom instant session default settings
  • Garreth will investigate other options around Zoom instant meetings
  • Garreth will form a subgroup to discuss Zoom instant session default settings

Back to top

March 07, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Bb Predict
    • Analyzing the tool from various perspectives: student, faculty, advisor
    • Visibility of some data fields is not consistent across views; in talks with vendor
    • Survey for pilot faculty
    • Starting work on tool assessment report
    • Pilot duration? May end after 3rd semester, depends on funding
  • Bb Ally
    • Now turned on for all prep areas, as of 3/1. New prep areas can be added manually if needed.
    • TLP will update and/or delete their web KB accessibility materials, may forward via links to OATS
    • Marjorie will send OATS revised web materials for a second opinion

Discussion Items

  • SMS Blackboard notifications
    • Nearing final testing
    • Possible issue: when an account is first added to the SMS system, it will automatically generate a text message to the user, in accordance with federal requirements
      • DLT checking with vendor: can this message be customized?
      • DLT checking: make sure that we load current users only
      • Meeting with stakeholders this Friday to discuss
      • May require additional communication to campus community
    • Getting phone numbers from Account Center
      • Question from Beth: does Bb Connect support international numbers?
      • EAPP ready to update wording on PS phone input form; needs one-week lead time
      • Yvonne had sent suggested verbiage for review
    • Targeting late March; may be revised depending on further conversations
  • Turnitin outage on March 17th
    • Vendor has a small banner within the Turnitin web app
    • TLP will send targeted email to faculty using TII (this week)
    • Robert will send Marjorie a list of faculty using TII
    • DLT will place a banner in Blackboard (3/14 to 3/17)
    • How do faculty prefer hearing about these sorts of things? Feedback about targeted emails has been very positive, so let's keep doing that when possible.
  • Blackboard mobile app Knowledge Base options
    • Revise KB article (opens in new window) ?
    • Consider a link to DLT's mobile apps listing
    • KB also has a link to "browser support" info that is a dead link. DLT will send Scott a suggested replacement.
    • Can this information be consolidated? Several ideas:
      • Add app information to Blackboard home page module
      • Add mobile app information to TD KB
      • Possible to use KB to automate email notifications? Not likely in current setup.
      • Tabled for later discussion.
  • Kaltura demo on 3/21
    • Meeting Time 9am to 11am
    • Meeting Location: SSC 122
    • Garreth will send an email reminders

February 28, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Blackboard Predict
    • Focus shifting: what is the tool's new audience?
    • Change in approach: "Come as you are" shifting to "here's how you can adapt"
    • Had time to fix issues, but the delays have frustrated some pilot members
    • Report soon: lessons learned and next steps
    • Idea about targeting new populations. Larger lectures? Faculty advisors?
  • Blackboard Ally - Ally Release Notes(opens in new window)
    • New update coming soon
    • Enabled for all prep areas starting 3/1/2018
      • This only applies to existing prep areas; New prep areas will come later
    • Campus-wide announcements coming in April
    • TLP and OATS have clarified roles for training, support and basic education.

Discussion Items

  • Add Zoom Student guide(opens in new window)
    • Zoom Student Guide (Google Doc)
    • Updated landing page to include verbiage distinguishing between Staff/Faculty and Students.
    • TLP has been working on Zoom-specific training sessions
    • How many faculty have received training on Zoom? TLP and CTS will check and report back
    • Marjorie will add materials to Team Dynamix Knowledge Base
    • Nathan will list CTS trainees
    • TLP ITCs will check consult history for trainees
  • User Enrollment Removal
    • Clarify use of instructor's roster management tool (Users and Groups)
      • PeopleSoft drops -> user's enrollment is disabled
      • Instructor removes user from course -> user's enrollment and content are deleted
    • Deleting enrollments will remove user's course content, grade data, etc
    • PS enrollment changes normally sync within 1-2 hours.
      • If an add is missed, it should be reconciliated the next day.
      • If a drop is missed, it will not be reconciliated the next day and will linger until DLT runs an audit.
      • If you spot issues with PS enrollments, send a ticket to DLT.
    • When instructors add users, any error causes the "you do no have permission" message.
      • Send tickets to DLT for manual cleanup
      • Most common cause of this error is a pre-existing disabled enrollment.
  • March 1st 2018 Maintenance
    • Remove Collaborate and Ultra from Course Tools
    • Enable Ally for Prep Areas
    • Turn off old Zoom LTI configuration
    • Blackboard Drive Update (1.7.17372)
    • Partner Cloud B2 Update (1.7.2017021408)
    • Mcgraw-Hill Connect B2 Update (2.4.2017020085)
    • Learning Technologies Module
  • McGrawHill Content and Accessibility
    • OATS contacted McGrawHill and received copies of content. If there are accessibility issues in courses that use McGrawHill Connect, OATS will be able to provide alternative formats. The instructor will need to arrange for accepting student work via that format.

February 21, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Bb Predict
    • Grades are now showing for all participating courses that have grade data available
    • Watching prediction output to see what changes
    • Can faculty advisors get access to Predict? DLT in discussions with ISEC.
    • Dave and Miroslav to follow up about data extracts for Robin.
  • Bb Ally
    • OATS presentation about support workflow
      • T1 routes each department to specific worker(s)
      • Inventory of documents in Box, notes on each
      • T2 can assist with files that are time-consuming, advanced, etc.
      • Ask faculty for help with certain tasks, such as image tagging
      • Sometimes ask for documents to be reformatted
      • Ally doesn't process videos; upload those to Kaltura for captioning
      • Track time via TDX
    • ITSS question: is there training for faculty about Ally workflow? OATS is working on that.
    • Example documents: email to faculty, flyer for faculty, flyer for students
    • TLP has some website materials about accessibility; Marjorie will follow up about linking to OATS resources as well or instead

Discussion Items

  • Box Inline Grading
    • Vendor was purchased, previous Inline Grading solution is no longer available.
    • Some features in the new version are more limited, such as commenting.
    • March update, should add strikethrough and area comments.
    • DLT to ask vendor for development roadmap
    • TLP and DLT to coordinate an entry in the new Learning Tech Updates module, possibly for 3/1
    • Issue reported where comments are not saving correctly; DLT will look into it
  • Turnitin follow-up
    • Any new reports about connectivity issues since previous week? Issue seems to be resolved.
    • TLP/DLT have a conference call with vendor about other issues next week.
    • ITSS mentioned some wiki documentation, information about third-party cookies which might be useful.
  • Leganto update.
    • VPAT not available yet; OATS is working with another school for hands-on testing
    • DLT to discuss PeopleSoft integration with EAPP
    • TLP requested a 10-second elevator pitch for the product

Project Requests

  • Kaltura B2 Update (5.0.63) - release notes (opens in new window)(approved for testing)
    • Improves in-video quizzing, instructor can set points possible (used to default to 100)
    • Possible improvements for mashup embeds, mobile responsiveness
    • OATS requested an updated VPAT
  • Turn off old Zoom meeting tool(approved)
    • Old tool (in course TOC) no longer works, but is still present after course copy
    • New tool (in course content area) works; instructors should update links
    • Disabling the old tool will reduce confusion

Back to top

February 14, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Bb Predict
    • Collecting feedback: how to improve product workflow + approach, for this or other future tools
    • Faculty advisors. Would this tool add value for them?
  • Bb Ally
    • Currently being used in about 130 courses, about 30 instructors
    • Proposal to enable usage in all prep areas
      • Would that impact reporting metrics? It shouldn't. Site-wide institution reports are already scanning all courses. This would only be enabling the user-facing tools.
      • Adds 5 prep areas per faculty. Largest onboarding to date. Opportunity to communicate and observe system performance prior to full go-live.
      • Detail to work out: what about new prep areas created after this change? How to include them.
    • Can OATS demo/discuss their support workflow?

Discussion Items

  • National Survey of Student Engagement (NSSE) is now live in Blackboard.
    • This survey will be posted until 3/30/2018
  • TA cloud recording in Zoom, transferring Kaltura media ownership
    • Recommend that TA users should record locally and upload to Kaltura
    • TLP has job aids for transferring media ownership
    • DLT will follow up with Zoom/Kaltura about improving integration so that it is more automated (ie: remove step where users must configure their username)
    • Want to avoid overloading support teams; turning it on now could risk many tickets
    • We can consider enabling cloud recording for all students after integration is more automated
  • Turnitin submission issue
    • Several instructors/students reported issues with submitting Turnitin assignments, with browser showing a "This site couldn't be reached" error.
    • ITSS and DLT need more information to help troubleshoot this issue. Recommend each student should submit a screenshot, timestamp, and their username. This information could help identify common elements on BB or TII side.
    • Potential workaround if user clears cookies (or uses incognito mode, which has the effect of clearing cookies). This doesn’t solve the underlying problem, though.
  • DLT sharing project workflow
    • Does this cover discussions about new or competing technology? It could be valuable to discuss that during LMS Advisory review of each proposed project. Topics may also bubble up to UTAC, or other groups on campus.
    • Does this change other questions, such as who can submit requests? No change now, for the time being we are just doing our best to document existing workflow.
    • What discussions should take place before projects go into the pipeline? What information is needed about each incoming project request? Needs will evolve over time. LMS Advisory review is an important step.
    • This does not replace other processes, such as ITPR, CAB, or change management; those exist in parallel.
    • Potential for other teams to act as project manager, if desired.

Project Requests

Action Items

  • Garreth will follow up with OATS about Ally presentation on support workflow
  • Miroslav will talk with Zoom and Kaltura about integration feature request for video ownership

Back to top.

February 7, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Bb Predict
    • Had a vendor call earlier this week to collect customer feedback + needs
    • Ideas:
      • try Predict in a large-lecture class to see how use cases change
      • Add a polling element to collect self-reporting data from students
    • Issues:
      • Some course setups seem to prompt a scenario where every student in a class is "high risk", which doesn't tell instructors much. How could that be improved?
      • Product could do a better job framing expectations for early reporting, to avoid users assuming that early data is a definite prediction of future outcomes.
      • Reports are prepared with data loaded in daily batches, but some instructors are expecting real-time integration.
    • Conversations on campus about "big data" for classrooms.
  • Bb Ally
    • Pilot access has expanded to about 100 courses and 25 faculty
    • Conversations about campus-wide deployment, possibly in the next 1-2 terms

Discussion Items

  • New Project Request Workflow
    • What information do we need about each request? Ideally each request on the agenda should include a link to more information, whether that's a short write-up or a vendor website.
      • Link to vendor website?
      • Link to write-up doc?
      • Link to TD project request ticket?
    • Questions about ITPR timing. ITPR can proceed in parallel with this process.
    • Questions about testing workflow. Testing can be run through TD's project features. Different projects will have different testing needs.
    • DLT to continue working on documentation, workflow diagrams, etc.

Project Requests

  • Sapling Macmillan LTI - approved for testing
  • Kaltura CaptureSpace SCCM Installer - approved for testing
  • Webwork Server + Integration - approved for testing, pending confirmation of funding for ESYS hosting
    • Question about requests that require additional funding. Further consideration about process.
  • Remove Collaborate Ultra from course tools - approved for testing
  • McGraw-Hill B2 update - on hold, vendor pulled this update and will release a replacement
  • Partner Cloud B2 update - approved for testing

Support Topics

  • Kaltura video quizzing issue
    • Gradebook integration is working, but always gives the column a "points possible" value of 100. This can cause problems for gradebooks that are set up to use point accrual.
    • TLP will proceed with a blog post about video quizzing but recommends holding off on banners until this issue is resolved.
    • DLT following up with the vendor about the timeline for resolution.
  • Zoom cloud recording for Teaching Assistants
    • Students typically cannot use Zoom Cloud Recording feature… is it possible to make an exception for TAs?
    • Miroslav may need to check on Shibboleth attributes that we're sending to Zoom
      • Currently only works for users who have an employee affiliation
    • Concern about retention and access after the student has left
    • Recommend that students transfer ownership of video to the person/department who funded the session
    • Chad to give a demo of Kaltura video ownership transfer process

Back to top

January 31, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Bb Predict update
    • Steering committee is working on product assessment criteria. Will be collecting feedback.
    • Questions about research in this area.
    • TLP asked about a demo for LMS Advisory later on the semester (Jim will present?)
  • Bb Ally update
    • Depending on Tomcat maintenance outcome (2/1), will likely activate next pilot phase on Friday, ready to on-board new faculty participants by Monday.
    • 27 new faculty in pilot, 13 more interested.
    • Potentially wider adoption next term.
    • OATS is developing a support model (tier 1, tier 2, etc.), will be prepared to show that model soon

Discussion Items

  • PS-BB integration pause this weekend.
    • PS will be offline for maintenance on Sat/Sun
    • PS-BB integration to be paused on Friday, resuming on Monday
    • Discussion about timing of pause. Friday is last day for student adds/drops, so longer uptime is better.
    • Any enrollment changes missed over the weekend will be caught up on Monday.
  • Learning Technology Updates module.
    • DLT is prototyping a newsletter/updates module for technology announcements.
    • Showed off the current prototype.
    • Separate discussion about making module pages static, to give better control over module placement.
  • SMS messaging in Blackboard
    • Scheduled go-live in March
    • Currently focused on students only; there may be future discussions about faculty and/or staff
    • Feature will be opt-in, no one will get text messages unless they enable this feature
    • Gives one more column in Blackboard's notification preferences
    • Need a communication plan to remind users about their notif. Settings
  • Blackboard Drive software update.
    • Vendor confirms that the software is still supported, should work on Windows 10
    • Another update may be available soon (Miroslav is working on that)
    • Question: what about other file hosting? Google Drive, Dropbox, Box, etc.
  • Project Request: Late Nite Labs.
    • Content provider for digital science labs.
    • Project request approved for prototyping phase
  • Leganto integration discussion
    • Document sharing, collaboration, etc.
    • Potential 6-week integration timeline, targeting for go-live in March
  • DLT project requests workflow
    • DLT will be revising project intake workflow: incoming project requests will be discussed with LMS Advisory to get a general go-ahead for pilot implementation.
    • Should offer better transparency and coordination with other teams.
    • Ability to track and report on each project's tasks more accurately.
    • Graphical reporting and workflow diagrams coming soon.

Support Topics

  • Copy-paste tickets
    • Definitely affects certain browsers using copy-paste from Google Docs to Blackboard
    • May affect other use cases -- please forward examples to Robert
    • Issue seems to be inline CSS in the copied HTML that sets unusual whitespace wrapping
    • Workaround : remove text formatting (either before copy-paste, or using Blackboard's "remove formatting" button)
  • Email attachment tickets
    • Some faculty members have reported issues sending email attachments (either directly or on announcements)
    • DLT is working with vendor to investigate root cause, scope of problem
    • Workaround : upload file to Blackboard and link to it in the message
    • Solution: New email relay server for MH environment had an attachment size limit of 2MB; has been increased to 35MB.
  • Kaltura video quiz issue
    • Gradebook integration is working, but always sets column value out of 100 points
    • Instructors can work around this with grading schemas, but it can surprise instructors who rely on bare point totals
    • Marjorie will send a write-up to Miroslav so that he can bring it up at vendor's office hours on Friday
  • Course copy enrollments issue
    • Course copy is exposing a checkbox that allows instructors to include student enrollments in the copy
    • Currently there is no easy way to remove that checkbox; recommend that instructors avoid enabling it
    • Roster cleanup can be handled via standard support tickets

Back to top

January 24, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Bb Predict update. New term started, new phase of pilot.
    • Jim has been meeting with faculty participants, reviewing prediction model and gradebooks. Previous term use was mostly "off the shelf", this time more faculty are interested in subtle course redesigns to improve results.
    • 0-week predictions seem more helpful than last run, based on updates to the stat model.
    • Workflow questions: Can we get this tool to model EAB or EOP workflows
    • Gradebook analysis tool? Might be forthcoming from vendor.
    • Miroslav has been recording snapshots of prediction data, could be useful for analysis later on.
    • Other improvements: "no grades yet" option, dropping some section-based differences on focusing on student-driven data
  • Bb Ally update.
    • OATS to provide DLT with list of faculty/courses in this pilot phase
    • Ongoing conversation: are faculty interested/ready to launch this campus-wide?
    • TLP and OATS: who handles faculty training + outreach? Laura will talk to Jeremy.
  • Zoom - Support Article(opens in new window)
    • Support page links to a "zoom.us" site, should instead link to "csuchico.edu" site - www.csuchico.edu/zoom
      • DLT will request this update
    • TLP prepared a 19-page user manual. Can that be frontloaded with a "Quick Start" guide? Should there be separate quick start for faculty/staff (running meetings) and students (attending meetings)?
    • ITSS requesting tool documentation
    • Zoom's support site also has useful docs

Discussion Items

  • Qwickly B2 project request . - Qwickly Website (opens in new window)
    • Product description
      • Allows instructors to post announcements + emails to multiple courses from one screen.
      • Possible upgrade (paid): post content items to multiple courses
      • Possible upgrade (paid): attach files from Google Drive, Box, and other cloud file services
    • Discussion
      • How many faculty would benefit from the paid portions?
      • How many faculty would benefit from the free portions? Can we deploy just those?
      • Should LMS vendor be responsible for building this functionality? If they did, what would the timeline be? Can we backfill with plugins in the meantime?
      • Group is on board to install in non-prod for further analysis.
  • Kaltura communication plan
    • Miroslav/Majorie/Claudine working on a support ticket about video quizzing in a prep area
    • Proposal to put up a banner Feb 1st (about video quiz) (approved)
    • DLT will open project request: static home page
    • DLT will open project request: learning technology updates module
    • DLT will open project request: merging small home page modules (if possible)
  • PeopleSoft down for maintenance 2/3 and 2/4

Back to top

January 17, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Blackboard Predict
    • Some instructors opted out for this term but we also gained a few new instructors with different perspectives.
    • Robin Donatello is running the meetings as co-chair and will be reviewing the predictive model
    • Zero day segment starts today
  • Blackboard Ally
    • OATS will provide list of courses to DLT after 2 week freeze - 1/29/2018
  • New Meeting Location- ARTS 228starting 1/24/2018

Discussion Items

  • PeopleSoft Data Center Shutdown - 2/3 12:01am to 2/4 8am
    • DLT will coordinate with EAPP about pausing the PS-BB integration on 2/2 and resuming on 2/5.
  • DLT Portal module for Blackboard - Portal(opens in new window)
    • No decision made yet but there are some ideas
      • Additional Resources like Mediaspace link?
      • Remove the portal module entirely?
      • Put link to learn on Campus Home Page
    • Contact ADS about portal updates and the process for approval/notification
    • Contact Anna Harris about Home Page changes
    • Mobile view should be considered
    • DLT will provide updates on action items and recommended changes at next meeting
  • McGraw-Hill Partner Cloud
    • Garreth will test changes to settings on learn-staging
    • Christine and Miroslav will review the changes
    • LMS Advisory can review and decide if change is necessary during 2 week freeze.
  • Separated Faculty Course Permission - Entitlement Catalog
    • Get instructor permission
    • Validate through department chair
    • DLT will look into the campus separation process and see if we can add our own steps
  • Old Zoom Meeting Link
    • Marjorie will work with DLT to review this
  • Post-Migration Speed/Performance
    • Self-Hosted page load was 1.3 seconds on average
    • Managed-Hosted page load is 2 seconds on average
    • Miroslav has noticed some spikes for certain nodes/times
  • Multi-Media Recording Studio Opening
    • May increase uploads into Kaltura Mediaspace
    • Faculty can request use of this room
  • Kaltura Webcam Recording
    • TLP will direct students and faculty to CaptureSpace and KMS GO mobile app
    • Possibly gather student group to test both implementations?
    • TLP will get together and discuss strategies

Back to top

January 10, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Blackboard Predict
    • Plans to review model with Predict team
    • Faculty participation has been confirmed for Spring 2018
    • Zero day prediction 1/16/2018
  • Blackboard Ally
    • Final confirmation of users 1/12/2018
  • New Meeting Location- ARTS 228starting 1/24/2018

Discussion Items

  • Bulk Calendar Import B2 - Website Documentation(opens in new window)
    • DLT updating workflow to use project requests, which should offer improved tracking, prioritization, communication, and reporting
    • DLT will continue analysis/testing
    • Raised point about Highpoint mobile support, interactions with new calendar and messaging platforms
    • Does this B2 support start time and end time? Are those shown on BB's calendar tool?
    • Does this B2 handle duplicate events well ?How many faculty will be interested in this tool?
  • PeopleSoft-Blackboard integration update - Notes(opens in new window)
    • Audit module, existential check, and various bug fixes
    • What will it look like if there is a problem?
      • DLT will monitor logging for early alerts
      • TLP or ITSS may see tickets about enrollment errors
  • January 11th Maintenance-One Note Document(opens in new window)
    • Cumulative Update 5
    • Inline Grading update
      • Jim to communicate changes
    • Kaltura updates (mobile app, UI V2, B2 update, video quiz fix, player update)
      • Claudine to communicate changes
    • Reef Shibboleth integration
      • Clarification of just student update
    • Turnitin B2 update
    • NSSE Links B2 installation (no links yet)
    • Mobile B2 update (for custom roles, organizations, etc.)
    • Staff Home Tab
    • PS-BB integration updates
      • Audit module
      • Existential checks are functioning
      • Improved handling of REST issues
  • Blackboard Help Site Documentation
    • Tend to mix Ultra and Classic support content together, which is confusing. Can we ask them to separate them?
    • Miroslav will follow up on this
  • Updating planning and communication for downtime
    • We will sometimes need 8-hour maintenance (cumulative updates, etc.); to avoid impacting users, we will ideally try to schedule those between terms.
    • In managed hosting, we now have more options for no-downtime maintenance, such as rolling restarts for more types of maintenance tasks. Those can be scheduled more frequently.
    • The difference between these two is new for us, so we will need to adjust our communication approach.
    • Miroslav will put up a yellow banner for the Jan 11 maintenance window.
  • ePortfolio Deactivation
    • ePAT is not moving forward with Digication or Pathbrite, so they will need to be removed from Blackboard
    • Communication to faculty so that they can inform students about backing up content
    • Shutting down integrations on Feb 15DLT will notify Shibboleth admin so that SSO configuration can be disabled after 2/15
    • DLT with notify Shibboleth admin so that SSO configuration can be disabled after 2/15/2018

Support Questions

  • NURS department question: workflow around course permission, consistent look and feel
    • Marjorie will setup a separate meeting about this question
    • May also need to consult with Registrar and INfosec
    • Compare to SWRK model for reference?
  • What to do when retired faculty want to grant access to course content, but email in from a non- csuchico email address?
    • May need to ask department chair to verify that permission was given
    • Garreth to send example case/user to Beth
    • Beth checking services available to retired/separated faculty
  • Is there a Knowledge Base update about the Inline Grading change?
    • Marjorie can email ITSS (Keith Adams) with verbiage for a KB update

Back to top

January 3, 2018

Ongoing Items

  • Managed Hosting
    • Discussion about performance and uptime
    • Telemetry issue impacting Ally and Predict. Garreth taking over Telemetry BTB case.
  • Blackboard Predict
    • Some faculty from previous pilot continuing, recruiting others.
    • Currently impacted by Telemetry issue.
  • Blackboard Ally
    • OATS is waiting to demo and expand pilot to several faculty.
    • OATS will send DLT a finalized list of pilot participants (faculty and courses)
    • Currently impacted by Telemetry issue.

Discussion Items

  • Managed Hosting Migration Post-Mortem
    • Tickets/Issues are normal and not migration related
    • Timeline for returning hardware to ESYS - 1/18?
  • January 11th Maintenance - One Note Document(opens in new window)
    • Cumulative Update 5
    • Inline Grading update
      • Jim to communicate changes
    • Kaltura updates (mobile app, UI V2, B2 update, video quiz fix, player update)
      • Claudine to communicate changes
    • Reef Shibboleth integration
      • Clarification of just student update
    • Turnitin B2 update
    • NSSE Links B2 installation (no links yet)
    • Mobile B2 update (for custom roles, organizations, etc.)
  • Maintenace Scheduling
    • Now that we are in MH environment, we no longer directly control downtime. Need to communicate new expectations with users.
    • DLT will discuss internally how to handle various maintenance scenarios.
  • McGraw-Hill Accessibility Content
    • OATS questions about accessibility and usage
  • TLP to Faculty Communication
    • DLT suggested announcement modules for Student/Staff/Faculty.
    • Tabled for future discussion
  • Butte Data Center Outage - 1/06/2018
    • Robert will check on impact to PS-BB integration services.
  • New Meeting Location - ARTS 228starting 1/24/2018

Back to top