Dream Center


Violence Against Women Act (VAWA)

You may be eligible to become a lawful permanent resident (get a Green Card) if you are the victim of battery or extreme cruelty committed by:

  • A U.S. citizen spouse or former spouse;
  • A U.S. citizen parent;
  • A U.S. citizen son or daughter;
  • A lawful permanent resident (LPR) spouse or former spouse; or
  • An LPR parent.

*Men may also qualify under VAWA (contact an immigration attorney)

You may self-petition under VAWA by filing a Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), or Special Immigrant (Form I-360)(opens in new window) without your abusive family member’s knowledge or consent. A person who files a VAWA self-petition is generally known as a VAWA self-petitioner. If your self-petition is approved and you meet other eligibility requirements, you may be eligible to apply to become a lawful permanent resident. For more information, see Battered Spouse, Children & Parents(opens in new window) and VAWA Questions and Answers(opens in new window).

This page provides specific information for foreign nationals in the United States who want to apply for lawful permanent resident status as VAWA self-petitioners. This is called “adjustment of status.” You should also read the Instructions for Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status(opens in new window) before you apply.

Please visit USCIS on VAWA(opens in new window) for further information