Graduation Advising

Frequently Asked Questions

  • My Degree Progress Report does not have information on my major/minor. Why?

    Your major/minor is not declared. Submit a signed Plan Change Form to the Office of the Registrar to officially declare each major/minor.

  • I think my Degree Progress Report is wrong. What can I do?

    For questions regarding general education, contact Graduation Advising. For questions regarding your major/minor, contact your appropriate faculty advisor.

  • When should I apply to graduate?

    Apply one year in advance for the term in which you will complete all degree requirements and coursework.

    (Example: If you will finish all degree requirements by spring 2022, the on-time deadline is May 15, 2021).

    Students who apply on-time will be reviewed prior to their last semester, may receive a priority graduating senior registration appointment, and will avoid a late fee.

  • How long will it take to receive my diploma? Can my degree be verified sooner?

    Diplomas can take up to 12 weeks to arrive at your diploma address. Students graduating in spring can expect their diploma to arrive in late August/September, students graduating in summer can expect their diploma to arrive late November/December and students graduating in fall can expect their diploma to arrive in late March/April.

    Diplomas are ordered the first Friday of each month. Thank you for your patience. 

    Degrees are typically posted to your academic record and can be verified 8-10 weeks after the official graduation date for the semester. You can confirm that your degree has been awarded by running your Degree Progress Report or an unofficial transcript in your Student Center. Once you see the degree posted at the top, prospective employers or agencies may request enrollment or degree verification(opens in new window).

    Do we know where to send your diploma? Update your diploma address in your Student Center as needed. You may also submit a forwarding address with the United States Postal Service to ensure delivery of your diploma at in new window).

  • How can I get verification of my degree?

    Degree Verification for Students

    Once your degree is posted to your academic record it is visible on your unofficial transcript and enrollment verification- both available in the Student Center via the Portal. Students may request an official transcript in advance to be sent after the degree has been posted to their academic record.

    Degree Verifications for Prospective Employers or Agencies

    Chico State participates in the National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) process for providing degree and enrollment verifications. Prospective employers or agencies may request enrollment or degree verification at If a student has a FERPA restriction, the written consent of the student is required by NSC to release information. If a prospective employer or agency has submitted a request, processing typically takes 2-5 business days.

    Enrollment is typically verifiable after the first week of the semester.

    Degrees are typically verifiable 8-10 weeks after the official graduation date for the semester.

  • What does the diploma say?

    Your diploma will include your degree, major, and option. Patterns and minors do not show on the diploma. The diploma is size 8.5 x 11.

  • Where was my diploma mailed?

    Chico State contracts with Michael Sutter Company for diploma printing. Visit the Michael Sutter Company(opens in new window) website to view when and where your diploma was mailed as well as the name, major, option & honors listed on the diploma.

  • How can I get an extra copy of my diploma?

    Students must wait until they have obtained and confirmed the accuracy of their diploma before ordering additional copies. Once you have received your diploma, you may complete and submit the Diploma Replacement form.