University Housing

General FAQ

Looking for information on how to apply? Check out our How to Apply Page 


Expand All | Collapse All

  • How do I contact University Housing?

    Email, call 530-898-6325, or visit us on campus 401 Legion Ave. During the academic year we are open Monday–Friday 8:00am to 5:00pm and during the summer Monday–Thursday 7:00am to 5:30pm and CLOSED on Fridays. 

  • Can I Take A Tour?

     Yes. Please contact the  Admissions office,, or call them at  (530) 898-6322 to request a tour. You can also view virtual tours a photos of our residence halls here:  Residence Hall Photo tours.

  • Are students required to live on campus?

    No. Due to limited available spaces we cannot house every student who wants to live with us, however all students are eligible for on-campus housing. If you are new to the university, please ensure to submit your Housing application, Intent to Enroll, and complete all required application steps in the Apply for Housing page.

  • Who supervises the communities?

    Professional staff members oversee each residence hall. Our live-in staff are responsible for the overall operation of their assigned communities, and have been extensively trained in housing management post-college. Resident Advisors also live in the halls and are student staff who organize activities, advise students on university life, and work to build a sense of community amongst residents.

  • Who assists with building or community issues?

    We encourage you to reach out to your Resident Advisor or visit your hall’s front desk for lockouts and other issues related to your room space. If you are having issues with UH printers, please make sure to submit a work order through your Resident Center. If you are having issues with our laundry or laundry cards, please contact WASH or submit a request through the WASH Connect app. Mail attendants only handle mail, for mail questions contact UH Residence Life Coordinators can assist you with room movement requests, but be prepared to mediate first! 

  • What type of internet is provided? Is it wired or wireless?

    Chico State provides campus-wide Wi-Fi. Unfortunately wired connections are not available.  All students will connect their devices to the campus network Eduroam. Eduroam is available for Chromebooks, however it may be easier to visit the ITSS office for assistance with connecting these devices.

  • Can I loft my bed?  Can you put a couch or desk under it?

    The beds do not loft or bunk (unless you are in a room that was already lofted/bunked), but they can adjust within about a 2 ft capacity. Residents are also allowed to use the risers they have purchased. 

    No stuffed furniture (couches, chairs, bean bags) are allowed in the halls due to safety issues, fire code, as well the chance to introduce bed bugs as well as other pests such as fleas and cockroaches. 

  • Are there kitchens that residents can use in each hall?

    Some halls have available kitchens for Resident use. Lassen, Shasta, and Mechoopda are the only places with a community kitchen but not Esken or Estom Jamani. University Village apartments and Konkow houses come equipped with a full kitchen.

  • What are bathrooms like? Do they have lockers?

    Bathrooms in all residence halls including Konkow are shared. University Village has private baths shared between roommates. The only halls with lockers are Shasta, Lassen, Mechoopda, and Esken..

  • Can I bring a mini fridge or microwave? Do I need to?

    We do not allow you to bring your own mini-fridge or microwave. University Housing will be providing a Micro-Chill (fridge & microwave combo unit) in every room with the exception of University Village and Konkow who have full kitchens. The Micro-Chill will be provided at no additional cost. 

  • When will Housing charges be placed on my student account?

    For those who have a room and meal assignment, charges will be assessed at least one week prior to the first payment deadline of the semester. Continue to check your Wildcat email for updates. For specific rates and due dates, see Cost Overview.

  • Is Renter's Insurance required?

    We do not require renter's insurance, however it is highly recommended you obtain some sort of coverage. You have an option to purchase renter's insurance through our partner at  GradGuard(opens in new window) during your housing application, or purchase directly by visiting the GradGuard(opens in new window) website and search for "CSU Chico".

  • What is DUO and why am I being asked to complete it?

    DUO is a Muti-Factor Authentication Service Application adding a second layer of security on top of passwords which can be easily compromised. 

    Once enrolled, users will receive a push authentication request through the Duo Mobile App on their phone, a phone call, or choose to enter a One-Time Passcode (OTP) generated code sent to their device or email account. You can find out more about DUO and how to set it up  here.


The staff and employees of the University Housing mailrooms are excited to connect with you and provide the mail services you need. Below you will find our hours, some helpful tips and clarification of our processes.

  • Where do I pick up my mail?

    All packages and letter mail for main campus residence hall students are delivered to the Whitney mailroom. All packages and letter mail for University Village are delivered to our Parcel Pending parcel locker system located just outside the UV Hub.

    Parcel Pending @ University Village: Chico State Distribution Services will deliver packages and letter mail to the lockers twice a day Monday - Friday during the semester. Delivery to lockers is not available on the weekends. If you wish to schedule your own mail please schedule deliveries to aa locak UPS/FedEx, Amazon or USPS pickup location. Carriers are not allowed to deliver packaged directly within University Village and are redirected to Distribution Services.

    Please allow 24 to 48 hours for packages to be logged and delivered. You will receive a text and an email to your Wildcat Email Address once a package has been placed into a parcel locker for you. Packages not picked up within a few days will be sent back as undeliverable.

  • What are the Mailroom Hours

    Central Campus (Located at Whitney Hall around the side of the building):

    • Monday-Friday: 10 a.m.-8 p.m.
    • Saturday & Sunday: 10 a.m.-4 p.m.

    Please remember when picking up mail or packages from your mailroom that your Wildcat ID is required to verify your identity.

  • My package says delivered, when can I pick it up?

    Please wait until you receive an email from University Housing to come pick up your package. We ask that you allow 24-hours from receipt for our team to process your delivery.   While you may have a delivered email or tracking from your shipper, it may not have been logged into our system yet. We are unfortunately unable to assist with newly delivered packages as we receive hundreds every day that need to first be logged before pickup.

  • It has been over 24-hours and I still do not have a package notification

    If you are having issues with mail please contact the Mail Manager at . 

  • Can someone bring my mail to me?

    The only mail delivery available is for oversized packages delivered for University Village students. Distribution Services will deliver to the mailroom and they will contact you within 24 additional hours for pickup or delivery to your apartment.

  • How do I Address Letter Mail and Packages for Delivery?

    Main Campus: All packages and letter mail for main campus residence hall students are delivered to the Whitney mailroom.

    University Village: All packages and letter mail for University Village are delivered to our Parcel Pending parcel locker system located just outside the UV Hub.

    Your Name on Mail: We ask that you use the name as is listed in your Resident Center, as we need to be able to match legal names. We want you to receive your loving care packages and textbooks as much as you do! When letting family, friends, or companies know your address please use the following format to correctly have mail addressed to you.

    Residence Hall Matters: It is important to include the correct building and room number as many people share similar names.

    Mailing Address (Main Campus Halls)

    (First Name Last Name)

    (Residence Hall Name) (Room Number)

    545 Legion Avenue

    Chico, CA 95926

    Mailing Address for University Village

    (First Name Last Name)

    (Residence Hall Name) (Room Number)

    940 W. First St.

    Chico, CA 95929

    *Please note that the mailing address and physical address are different for University Village*

Transportation & Parking

  • Should I bring my car to school?

    Parking for residential students living on campus is extremely limited.  Students are encouraged to consider not bringing a car to Chico State.  The campus is very walkable, there is a grocery store and large variety of restaurants within walking distance.  In June when students learn their community (building) assignment they will be asked if they would like to join the parking lottery.  Parking lottery winners will be notified in early August and have the ability to purchase a B Lot (Residential Student Parking) or University Village parking permit.  To learn more about the cost of parking permits please visit Student Financial Services Parking Permits.

  • What transportation services are offered?

    There is a free bus service to and from campus available every 30 minutes on academic days from the B-Line Bus, our local public bus system.

    There is also Campus Connection Shuttle, a shuttle service provided FREE of charge by the University Police Department to the campus community as an alternative to walking on campus at night. Campus Connection has a stop at University Village to provide our residents a safe way to get home from campus at night.

    University Village Shuttle: The shuttle location at UV is adjacent to the South Community Building, next to Building 11. The on-campus shuttle location is adjacent to Langdon Hall, on the corner of W 1st St & Ivy St. We encourage residents to arrive at the pick-up locations early to increase their chances of getting a seat on the shuttle. 

    Monday - Thursday

    UV To Campus

    Campus to UV

    7:30 AM

    8:15 AM

    8:30 AM

    9:15 AM
    9:30 AM

    10:15 AM

    10:30 AM

    11:15 AM

    11:30 AM


    1:30 PM

    1:15 PM

    2:30 PM

    2:15 PM

    3:30 PM

    3:15 PM
    4:30 PM4:15 PM


    UV To Campus

    Campus to UV

    7:30 AM

    8:15 AM

    8:30 AM

    9:15 AM
    9:30 AM

    10:15 AM

    10:30 AM

    11:15 AM

    11:30 AM

  • How do I apply for parking permits?

    The Parking Lottery is the only opportunity to purchase a permit. Residents are entered into the Parking Lottery after University Housing has confirmed that they will have a bed space. Instructions will be sent to students via their Wildcat email on how to sign up. Permits need to be re-purchased for spring, and all lottery winner will be invited to a second priority purchase period in January to buy their spring permits.

    IMPORTANT: Parking is extremely limited in our B and UV lots. Our residence halls (Esken, Mechoopda, Konkow, Estom Jamani, Lassen and Shasta) host 1,000 residents with 260 spaces available, and University Village hosts 700 residents with 300 spaces. If you are not able to purchase a permit it is strongly advised that you leave your car at home. 

    Chico is an extremely bike friendly campus you can get to everything you need within minutes. For other transportation or parking options (G Parking Permits) be sure to visit the Parking Services website.

Meal Plan

Amenities and Furnishings

  • What items are included in my Furnished Room?

    Each student will have an extra-long twin bed (36" x 80"), desk with chair, trash can, storage drawers, and closet space. University Village and Konkow have a table and chairs in the dining area as well as a refrigerator, stove, and microwave in the kitchen. At University Village, there are no cooking or servine utensils/equipment provided.

  • How do I do my Laundry?

    All of our communities are equipped with coin-free accessible laundry facilities. Download the WASH-Connect app to pay for wash and dry and have it notify you when the laundry is done.  You alos use the app to submit refund requests and submit service requests for machines that have gone out of service.

    Check out how to download and use the WASH app here!

  • Are there computer labs in the communities?

    Along with a variety of computing services on campus, there is a computer lab in each community. All of the computers in the labs have a connection to the campus network. Lab computers have direct access to black-and-white printing.

  • What should I bring?

    We suggest you bring almost anything that will make you feel at home in your room with some exceptions. Check ot our guide: What to Bring to School (PDF)

  • Do I need a vacuum?

    Yes, University Housing does not provide vacuums and we recommend you bring your own.

  • How far is University Village located from campus?

    University Village is a leisurelybike ride or walk from campus.  The total distance is less than a mile and is conveniently close to Safeway for shopping, restaurants, as well as the B-Line bus stop. Check out the WalkScore for more details.

  • What should I do before I move out?

    You are required to return your room to the same condition as it was upon move-in. To avoid damage and cleaning charges, we recommend that you remove all of your belongings, remove trash and clean your room before you check-out. Check out this helpful move-out tips (PDF) document to guide you as you clean your space!

  • Are there any other charges?

    When item(s) in bedrooms are identified with damage(s) and there is no record of pre-existing damage recorded at the time you checked into the space – then resident(s) assigned to the room/apartment is/are responsible for the cost of repair/replacement of damaged item(s). You can find more details in the Damage Billing Information page. University Housing reserves the right to assess the cost for repairs to common areas (hallways, lounges, restrooms, etc.) and distribute charges to all residents of a floor or building. 

  • Can I move out after one semester?

    No. Our license agreement is designated for the entire academic year when signing up for the Fall. Transfers coming into the Spring semester are eligible for one semester leases. For details and exceptions regarding early license release, please refer to Section VI of the License Agreement.(opens in new window)

Dealing with Mold or Wanting to Prevent it?

What is Mold & How to Prevent It

Temperature & Food Sources

Types of Mold & How to Report It

Dealing with Pests?