Frequently Asked Questions

How do I contact you?

During the academic year our office hours are Monday–Friday 8 a.m. – 5 p.m. During the summer we are open 7 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., Monday through Thursday; we are closed on Fridays. If you are in town, please stop by or give us a call at 1-800-730-4243 or 1-530-898-6325. We are also available by email at

Can I Take A Tour?

We offer tours of Whitney residence hall recration room and model room year round in conjunction with the campus Admissions tour.

Are students required to live on campus?

No, we unfortunately do not have enough space for every student who wants to live with us. However, first time freshmen have priority over space and are encouraged to live within our University Housing communities because of the educational environment and for their first year experience.

Who supervises the residence halls and University Village?

Professional Staff members over see each living environment. Live-in staff, all having graduated from college and trained in housing management, are responsible for the overall operation of their communities. There are also student staff (Resident Advisors) who organize activities, advice about university life, and work to build a sense of community amongst residents.

What kinds of policies and regulations will I need to follow?

We want our communities to be a place where our residents can grow and develop. Community standards and specific regulations about alcohol, noise, and smoking are designed to set expectations, encourage individual responsibility, and be cost effective in order to keep the housing rates as low as possible. Full statements are contained in the University Housing License Agreement and in our Community Standards. Please note, the use of tobacco in a form or smoking any other substance is prohibited on campus. 

What’s next?

How can I apply for University Housing?

To apply for University Housing, you will first need to be admitted to the University. You are strongly encouraged to preview the 2018-2019 License Agreement (PDF) and Community Standards before applying. Visit the How to Apply page for information on the application process.

How do I preference which residential community I want to live in?

You will be able to indicate a preference as part of your University Housing application, and doing so is a personal choice. Whether you want the energy of living in Whitney, the more intimate residential experience of North Campus or the more independent style of University Village, we have an option for you.

What is the cost of living in University Housing?

We have our housing rates for the 2018-2019 academic year posted on our website under the "How To Apply" tab. Each student who submits a housing application will also be required to make a license charge payment. The license charge of $300 is applied to the TOTAL academic year room and meal plan costs. Financial Aid awardees are also required to submit the license charge payment. This payment must be paid for an application to be complete.

How do I pay for housing?

All payments are made through the Student Financial Services  department. If you have been awarded Financial Aid you can check with the Financial Aid Office to see if any of your award will be applied toward your housing fees.

Roommates & Room Assignments

What if I know someone I want to live with?

As part of the application process, students have the opportunity to invite other residents to be their roommate. The Roommate Matching process is available for students with complete housing applications. Students who want to invite another student to be roommates, or be invited, can consider compatibility and similarities beforehand. To read more about our roommate matching process, please see How To Apply.

Will I know who my roommate is before I move in?

Yes, if you participate in the roommate matching process in fall or UH matches you with a roommate you will be able to view your roommate once you have been assignment a room.

Amenities and Furnishings

What is furnished in a University Housing room?

Each student will have an extra-long twin bed (36" x 80"), desk with chair, trash can, storage drawers, and closet space. University Village and Konkow have a table and chairs in the dining area as well as a refrigerator, stove, and microwave in the kitchen. At University Village, there are no cooking or food serving items provided.

Do I have cable TV?

We provide cable services through XFINITY On Campus by Comcast at no additional costs.  The XFNITY service allows content to stream through devices such as laptops, tablets and smartphones.  In addition, each room is equipped with a cable outlet for those who prefer to watch content using a television.  Premium subscriptions to HBO or Showtime can be purchased separately. 

Get help if you are experiencing trouble with the XFINITY On Campus service.

View the channel lineup.

Are there laundry facilities in University Housing?

All of our communities are equipped with accessible laundry facilities. The washers and dryers are run by each student's personal laundry card .These laundry cards will be provided to students. You will be able to load funds onto the laundry card with either cash or debit/credit card from the add/value stations within each community. The current cost is $1.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry (costs are subject to change.)

Are there computer labs in the residence halls and the University Village apartments?

Along with a variety of computing services on campus, there is a computer lab in each community. All of the computers in the labs have a connection to the campus network. Lab computers have direct access to free black and white printing.

What should I bring?

We suggest you bring almost anything that will make you feel at home in your room. You don't need to bring much—see our suggested list

Where do I pick up my mail?

There are mailboxes in each living community. You will be assigned a mailbox when you move in. There is one mailbox per room, so unless you are living in a single room, the mailbox will be shared with your roommate(s). The mail is delivered to each community, Monday through Saturday, and placed in each mailbox by the mail staff.

  • Packages for students living in Shasta, Lassen, Sutter, North Campus and Whitney are delivered to the Whitney mail room.
  • Packages for University Village residents are delivered to the University Village mail room. 

How far is University Village located from campus?

University Village is a leisurely (less than a mile) bike ride or walk from campus. Housing also provides a shuttle for UV residents to and from class on the main campus, this shuttle runs Monday through Thursday and has a separate schedule for Fridays.

This shuttle also takes students to the Chico State Farm on academic days.

What should I do before I move out?

You are required to return your room to the same condition as it was upon move-in. To avoid damage and cleaning charges, we recommend that you remove all of your belongings, remove trash and clean your room before you check-out. Here are some Move-out Cleaning Tips for you.

Are there any other charges?

When item(s) in bedrooms are identified with damage(s) and there is no record of pre-existing damage recorded at the time you checked into the space – then resident(s) assigned to the room/apartment is/are responsible for the cost of repair/replacement of damaged item(s). You can find more details in the Damage Billing Information page. University Housing reserves the right to assess the cost for repairs to common areas (hallways, lounges, restrooms, etc.) and distribute charges to all residents of a floor or building. 

How can I change my room assignment?

Space is varied across campus so not all first preferences will be met. If after you receive your room assignment you want to submit an Assignment Update Request, you can do so between June 15 - July 15 for the following reasons: 

  • Different Community (e.g., "If a space becomes available in ____Hall, I would like to live there.")
  • Accommodation (e.g., "I want to be on a lower floor.")
  • Room Type (e.g., "I'm in a triple, but if available would like to have a single.")
  • Living-Learning Community interest (e.g., "I want to live in a living-learning community.")
  • University Village mini-meal plan availability (e.g., "I would like to move to UV so I have a greater chance at finding a parking space for my care.")

If you enter a request and we can accommodate, you will automatically be reassigned, with the new space becoming your permanent assignment. Students who enter a request cannot make a second request so please be certain.

Can I move out after one semester?

Our license agreement is for the entire academic year when signing up for the Fall. Transfers coming into the Spring semester are eligible for one semester leases. For details and exceptions regarding early license release, please refer to Section VI of the 2018-2019 License Agreement 


When can I move in?

Fall 2018 move-in will occur on Thursday, August 23rd. You will be emailed with more details about the move-in process in early August. Please make sure you have your Wildcat ID Card prior to moving in.

Where do I check in?

 You will check in at the specific building/community to which you were assigned.

Meal Plan

How can I check the balance on my meal plan?

You are able to check your balance every time you swipe your card at the dining hall, the marketplace and other eateries on campus.

Can I purchase additional meals? Can I purchase a meal plan if I live off campus?

Yes. You can purchase additional meals and/or REDD$ through Dining Services (530) 898-5962

If I have the mini meal plan can I upgrade to a larger plan? 

Residents in University Village have the option of upgrading from the mini meal plan to one of our three larger meal plans (Chico, Bidwell, or Wildcat). Upgrading from a mini plan to one of our larger meal plans will cost an additional $1,027 per semester. Meal plan changes can be requested prior to the upcoming semester, check the Resident Center for these important dates.


Should I bring my car to school?

Since parking is very limited in Chico, students are encouraged to bring bicycles, skateboards, roller blades or scooters to campus and leave their cars at home. An extremely limited number of parking permits are available for students who live in Whitney, Sutter, Shasta, Lassen, Mechoopda, Esken, and Konkow. These parking permits are distributed through a lottery process. You may enter the lottery through your housing application.

If you must bring your car to campus, you may want to consider living in University Village. UV offers students much more parking availability than on campus parking. UV permits are also distributed through a lottery process. Please note that University Village parking permits are not valid in the on-campus parking lots, and UV residents may not purchase G parking permits.  You can find parking information on the Student Financial Services website.

What transportation services are offered?

There is a free bus service to and from campus available every 30 minutes on academic days from the B-Line, our local public bus system. There is also Campus Connection, a shuttle service provided FREE of charge by the University Police Department to the campus community as an alternative to walking on campus at night. Campus Connection has a stop at University Village to provide our residents a safe way to get home from campus at night.

University Village students can utilize the University Housing shuttle, leaving UV every 30 minutes to transport students to classes on the main campus as well as the Chico State Farm.