Human Resources Service Center

Open Enrollment FAQs

Expand All | Collapse All

  • What is "Open Enrollment?

    The Open Enrollment period is the time each year when all employees can enroll in benefits coverage or change their current benefits coverage for the upcoming calendar year. See the Campus Open Enrollment web page for more information.

  • When is the annual Open Enrollment Period?

    The Open Enrollment period is typically from mid-September to mid-October each year.

  • Who is eligible to participate?

    Active staff with appointments that exceed six months and one day, with a time base of at least .50.

    Academic-year faculty and coaches are eligible for benefits if appointed for a minimum of one semester or with a time base of .40 or greater.

    Employees who do not meet eligibility requirements listed above may qualify for health care under the Affordable Care Act (ACA).

    Employees who do not meet the eligibility criteria above may still be eligible to enroll in many of the voluntary plans (HCRA, DCRA, auto and home insurance, Pet Insurance, or the legal plan).

  • Do all current eligible employees need to enroll or re-enroll for benefits during Open Enrollment?

    Your current benefits elections (except for dependent care and health care reimbursement accounts) will roll over to the following plan year. You must re-enroll in the flexible spending accounts every year.

  • What is a flexible spending account?

    Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) allow you to set aside money—tax-free—then use that money when you have certain everyday expenses, such costs related to child care and health care. CSU offers you two FSAs: a health care FSA and a dependent care FSA. You must enroll (or re-enroll) in the flexible spending accounts annually to participate.

  • What is the effective date of my new benefit choices?

    All changes made during Open Enrollment will take effect January 1st of the new plan year, and any premium changes will be reflected on the December pay period paycheck, issue date: 1/1 of the new plan year.

  • How do I find out if my doctor participates in CalPERS health plans?

    Visit CalPERS(opens in new window) to access the Search Health Plans to find doctor directories and estimate cost.

  • What happens if I miss the Open Enrollment period or if I fail to enroll during my first 60 days of employment as a new hire?

    If you have not previously been enrolled in health coverage through CSU and have not provided proof of other coverage, HIPAA offers two provisions—Special Enrollment and Late Enrollment—for employees and their eligible family members to enroll in a CalPERS health plan outside of the initial enrollment period and the Open Enrollment period.

    Special enrollment must be requested within 60 calendar days of one of the following qualifying events:

    • Loss of other non-CalPERS coverage
    • Marriage/registered domestic partnership
    • Birth/adoption
    • Court-ordered coverage
    • Divorce/termination of registered domestic partnership

    Late enrollment allows an employee to request enrollment if they declined or canceled enrollment for themselves or their eligible dependents and the special enrollment exceptions do not apply. Late enrollment is applied as follows

    • A 90-day waiting period is required
    • The effective date of enrollment will be the first of the month following the 90-day waiting period after required documentation has been provided to the campus benefits office
  • Who do I contact with additional questions?

    Please direct any questions to or call 530-898-5436.


Important Note: If there is a discrepancy between this information and the official plan documents and contracts, the official documents will always govern.