Human Resources Service Center

Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA)

Plan Summary

The CSU offers eligible employees the opportunity to participate in a Dependent Care Reimbursement Account (DCRA), or flexible spending account. A DCRA allows you to set aside a portion of your pay on a pre-tax basis to reimburse yourself for eligible child-care expenses for your eligible dependents. Additionally, if you have an older dependent that lives with you and requires assistance with day-to day living, you can claim these eligible expenses through your DCRA. You may contribute up to $5,000 each plan year through payroll deduction.

New employees may enroll in the plan within 60 days of employment or during open enrollment. All employees except faculty participating in the Faculty Early Retirement Program (FERP) and rehired annuitants may establish a DCRA.

DCRA Guidelines and Information

  • The DCRA is administered by ASIFlex, a third-party administrator. Review ASIFlex website(opens in new window) or call 800-659-3035.
  • Eligible employees must enroll in a plan(s) within 60 calendar days of employment (or re-employment, if there has been a break of service of more than 30 calendar days).
  • You must re-enroll every year during the open enrollment period. Open enrollment occurs annually (date is determined by CalPERS) and is usually in the fall with all changes taking effect on January 1st of the following year.
  • The annual maximum for a DCRA is $5,000; there is a $20 monthly minimum and $416.66 monthly maximum contribution.
  • The first deduction is usually taken from the second paycheck following enrollment.
  • Once coverage begins, you will not be able to change your contribution amount unless you have had a “change in status”.
  • Taxable income on an employee’s annual W-2 statement will be reduced by the amount placed in the account.
  • You must estimate your eligible expenses carefully. Any money left in your DCRA will be forfeited.
  • More information on the DCRA can be found in the DCRA Plan Brochure (PDF).

Enrollment Process

  1. Review the DCRA Plan Brochure (PDF).
  2. Complete the DCRA/HCRA Enrollment Authorization Form (For 2024 Tax Year) (PDF).
  3. Submit the completed form to the Benefits Unit, Kendall Hall, Room 213.
  4. The Benefits Unit will:
    • Review your enrollment form (incomplete form may delay or prevent benefit coverage).
    • Notify you if additional information or documentation is needed.

To File a Claim

  • Review the “How to File Claims” portion of the DCRA/HCRA Manual Claim Form, complete the claim form.
  • Mail to: ASI at PO Box 6044 Columbia, MO 65205-6044; or
  • Fax to: 877-879-9038; or
  • File Online at ASI Flex(opens in new window) (Select Online Access no claim form needed).

Flexible Spending Account (FSA) Deadlines

You may file claims for expenses incurred during the plan year (January 1 through December 31) any time up to six months after the plan year ends. Therefore, your claim(s) must be postmarked by June 30 following the end of the plan year or any balance remaining in HCRA after June 30 will be forfeited.

If you are enrolled in HCRA through December 31 of any plan year and have a remaining account balance, you can also file claims for reimbursement under the grace period extension for any eligible expenses that are incurred January 1 through March 15 of the following plan year.

Under the grace period extension, all HCRA claims for services incurred January 1 through March 15 of the following calendar year will automatically be processed against the previous plan year first if there is an account balance remaining after December 31 and fled by the claims fling deadline. However, you can request that a claim incurred January 1 through March 15 be applied to the current plan year (must be enrolled) rather than the previous plan year. Such requests must be in writing and submitted with the claim for special handling.

If you choose not to re-enroll in HCRA for the subsequent plan year, you can utilize only the remaining account balance in your account as of December 31 for reimbursement of eligible grace period claims that are incurred January 1 through March 15 of the following year.

After all these deadlines have passed, all unused HCRA/DCRA account balances will be forfeited, per the IRS "Use-or-Lose" rule.

Please note: If your participation in HCRA is terminated before December 31, you are ineligible to file any claims under the grace period extension.

Helpful Information:

  • Claims may be submitted to ASIFlex through their mobile app, online, by mail or fax.  Information about theses options are available at in new window)
  • Eligible expenses for HCRA funds include sunscreen, prescription glasses/sunglasses, or mileage for use of an automobile to obtain health care.  A listing of HCRA eligible items may be reviewed at in new window)